Sponsored Links Spacer Image

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing about the crazy monkey is that it's a ranged tool, meaning you aren't using it all the time. People who just started learning it think that you're in it all the time, but it's actually a defensive posture you employ when you want to crash the line, or if you're stuck in boxing range (and getting outboxed). Some people who have just been told about it, or saw parts of it in a video, try and stay in it all the time, and that's no good.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 9:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damnit I was expecting some Paulie Zink stuff I could mock. Instead you give me legit techniques!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    The main thing about the crazy monkey is that it's a ranged tool, meaning you aren't using it all the time. People who just started learning it think that you're in it all the time, but it's actually a defensive posture you employ when you want to crash the line, or if you're stuck in boxing range (and getting outboxed). Some people who have just been told about it, or saw parts of it in a video, try and stay in it all the time, and that's no good.
    Damn!!! I learned something new with this. So I would assume that this defensive methods are to be used with other striking skills????

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Damnit I was expecting some Paulie Zink stuff I could mock. Instead you give me legit techniques!
    But, but, but... I gave you this to mock!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqlc...elated&search=

.ed. Dude, search for Jamie Eason on google. Her name is Jamie Easton, but for some reasons, most of her portfolio goes under Jamie Eason. Orgasmically divine!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

('._.)

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 11:42am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not very fond of this peek a boo style myself, I prefer slipping punches.

Its OK use this as feedback described, but keeping your hands up that high all the time is pretty retarded. Ive sparred with a lot of guys who are new to striking and know this style, and its usually easy as hell to just pound their body. And also people who use it tend to have no headmovement, which makes jabbing them pretty easy. They may defend 1-2 punches with this, but then eat 3 and are unable to counter quicky because of the position they have their hands in.
    Last edited by Draven; 9/15/2006 11:50am at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by anothymaxass
    defending trhe jab looked moronic and over exposed. I like the shovel hook combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    Not very fond of this peek a boo style myself, I prefer slipping punches.

Its OK use this as feedback described, but keeping your hands up that high all the time is pretty retarded. Ive sparred with a lot of guys who are new to striking and know this style, and its usually easy as hell to just pound their body. And also people who use it tend to have no headmovement, which makes jabbing them pretty easy. They may defend 1-2 punches with this, but then eat 3 and are unable to counter quicky because of the position they have their hands in.
    I use this guard all the time, even before I knew it had a name simply because I don't box. I find it incredibly useful, because it sets up so perfectly into clinching or shooting if you got a guy that's big on using his hands.

Using this kind of guard in tangent with slipping is really sweet in MMA style fighting because you are well covered while moving. I will say that if you aren't careful you will be eating some hooks and/or uppercuts especially if you're not staying in motion, but all in all I find it one of the best ways to stop myself from eating some face shots.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

software engineer

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 comments:

If you get tired or lazy, punches tend to go inbetween your two forearms, especially with MMA gloves.

I agree that you need to lower your guard when out of range. However, you have to get that CM guard up fast if you know punches are coming. If you're late and sloppy (or maybe just me), you can catch the punch when your hands are over your eyes, which becomes the ultimate finger poke eye jab.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 3:48pm

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found after a few weeks practice i could really go toe to toe in punching range, something my tkd heritage always left me feeling uncomfortable doing. it opened my game allowing to lure punch happy fighters for the take down or clinch/ leg kicks.

What is irritating when, people point out its obvious weakness's forgetting it purely defenseive with the intention of guarding the head mainly (dont see many body blows in MMA) and yes using it in boxing would be suicide.

And thanks for the Clips, rodney king is the man.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's tricky to get used to relaxing the shoulders so that you have enough mobility for head movement, but I really love this (I always called it Peek a boo, as that's how I first heard it). I've used it a lot as of recently, and I'm much more comfortable with it than with a more traditional stance.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    2 comments:

If you get tired or lazy, punches tend to go inbetween your two forearms, especially with MMA gloves.
    Hence why I condition myself to drill on the heavybag with wrist weights on. I don't do alot of punching with the weights on for obvious reasons, but I work alot of what King calls the elevation push or whatever, along with a few strikes (hands and feet) into covering as the bag swings back. Working the drill with a live partner with gloves can really build that muscle memory so you don't leave that opening. Like anything else it takes practice (something I need alot more of mind you).

I agree that you need to lower your guard when out of range. However, you have to get that CM guard up fast if you know punches are coming. If you're late and sloppy (or maybe just me), you can catch the punch when your hands are over your eyes, which becomes the ultimate finger poke eye jab.
    I keep my hands in front right below my eyes while fighting, and almost invariably immediately go into CM guard while crouching and moving in for inside shots. If I don't I usually fade back and to the side out of range to set up kicks and hook punches, keeping my distance waiting for the opportunity to take it to the ground.
    I don't get the fist/finger in the eye thing because my hands are nearly where they should be for the monkey guard.

I would definately be eaten alive in a kickboxing match, but that's because my main goal when defending strikes is to close that distance and finish it either in the clinch or on the ground.
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 4:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    It's tricky to get used to relaxing the shoulders so that you have enough mobility for head movement, but I really love this (I always called it Peek a boo, as that's how I first heard it). I've used it a lot as of recently, and I'm much more comfortable with it than with a more traditional stance.
    I differentiate the monkey from the Peekaboo by basically the hand positioning. In monkey your hands are open and slide easily across your top and side of your head going into elbow fades, and monkey covering with ease. The PAB I see as using your fists by starting with them just below your eyes and then bringing them straight up to your forehead (like a parent playing "peekaboo" with their child). I suppose they are both forms of PAB guard, but I see the second as being more something a boxer would do to cover, as opposed to the monkey which works better with MMA gloves.
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast