Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 2:50pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

While discussing MMA versus TMA I was quoted this...

Quote Originally Posted by dunefield
    An important issue with MA-Therapy in a psychological context is the distinction between a therapeutic approach and a martial approach to the lessons. With the evolution of martial arts into combat systems Krav Maga and combat sports (Kickboxing, Submission Wrestling, MMA), many instructors and organizations teach only martial/combative techniques with little (if any) attention to philosophical or societal issues. In other words, students may only be taught how to fight without lessons in the proper context for applying these techniques, something that is emphasized in more traditional martial art curriculums. Hypothetically, if these philosophical/societal teachings were one of the specific therapeutic factors in martial arts study, studying an art without these teachings would be of little therapeutic benefit (and arguably, detrimental to psychological health) (Reynes, 2002). Additionally, if not properly informed, a patient undergoing MA-Therapy may erroneously believe they are acquiring martial proficiency when in fact, the curriculum they are learning is unsuitable for self-defense or competitive needs.

The bit in bold points it out...
    I think it was written by a TMA apologists myself. I'm going to take it to my MA board and see what ruckus it will start.

What do you think?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 2:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...the martial arts are evolving into something that can be used in combat? lol...

The last sentence, "Additionally, if not properly informed, a patient undergoing MA-Therapy may erroneously believe they are acquiring martial proficiency when in fact, the curriculum they are learning is unsuitable for self-defense or competitive needs." is a bonus, however.

What is MA-Therapy, and what is this paragraph taken from?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole "Martial arts need philosophy" rule is just because of the Eastern way of thinking. We're Western. Boxing has never had any philosophy behind it, and it's been around a lot longer than a lot of other martial arts has.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 3:26pm

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower
    The whole "Martial arts need philosophy" rule is just because of the Eastern way of thinking. We're Western. Boxing has never had any philosophy behind it, and it's been around a lot longer than a lot of other martial arts has.
    Do you consider Boxing a "combat system"?

The point being made -- if I am reading things correctly -- is that application of your skillz outside of the competition curcuit leads to problems if you don't place moral / ethical boundaries around the use / misuse of force.

I am not sure reality bears that "combat sports" are really devoid of such discussions - which would make the point of his article rather, well, pointless.

-Daniel Weidman
    Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dweidman
    Do you consider Boxing a "combat system"?
    Now is where we can have fun with things. Do you mean boxing of today, or boxing from before? Boxing back during the London Prize Ring rules had much more to it then than boxing has now. Not only were various hand strikes allowed (since it was bare-knuckle, a popular one was actually "the chopper", a hammerfist they would use on the back of their opponent's skulls) but throws and stand-up wrestling were also allowed. Sir Richard Francis Bacon used a throw from boxing during his pilgrimage to Mecca (it was known as a cross-buttocks throw that day) against an Arab. Boxing was one of the major self-defense systems utilized for many many years.

So if boxing can change and lose a few things over its timespan, certainly other martial arts can as well.

And as an after-thought: what exactly classifies as a combat system?
    Last edited by VikingPower; 9/14/2006 3:54pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The paragraph is asinine. It assumes that all MMA practitioners are Neanderthalic half-wits who leave class screaming "HULK SMASH!!! HULK SMASH!!!!" With absolutely no recognition that they must assimilate themselves into civilized, law abiding, society.

The fact of the matter is, that your typical TMA to d34dly LARPer has a false sense of confidence as to his/her ability and is much more dangerous than your MMA guy who regularly gets knocked around and knows EXACTLY how good his skills are and knows EXACTLY what a good cross to the face, Thai kick to the leg, or rear naked choke can do to a fellow human being. Thus, the MMA guy/girl has an appreciation for just how d34dly he/she is where as the TMA guy/girl is force fed what his sifu spewing.

An asshole is an asshole, regardless of whether they train MMA or TMA. However, at least in MMA you can try and knock the asshole out of someone.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:00pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    What do you think?
    Oh.. let me see if I understand this correctly...

TMA teaches the children to be good little boys and girls, and to only use your ultimate karate skillz to defend youself from child molesters (who OBVIOUSLY stand no chance against a 9 year old BB).

MMA, however, doesn't teach the difference about the right time to use your skills. Therefore, we can only assume that anybody who has studied only MMA are erratic and dangerous time bombs waiting to armbar people at the smallest offense?

How about :5no: .

The truth of the matter, to me at least, is just the opposite. TMA schools tend to foster unrealistic self-anlyization of one's skill level or martial effectiveness. Despite the constant "Use your powers only for good" rhetoric, things won't work as planned. Little Johnny thinks that his Kung Fu will repel bullies and crack fiends alike, but we all know this isn't the case. Johnny does NOT know that this isn't the case, however.

MMA, being fundamentaly rooted in reality, will foster a sense of realistic solutions to combative problems (i.e. run from dirty old man who offers you candy, or beat the **** out of that kid hitting your sibling).

Truth be told, though, I think kids should fight at school. It builds character :boxing:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:02pm

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now is where we can have fun with things. Do you mean boxing of today, or boxing from before? Boxing back during the London Prize Ring rules had much more to it then than boxing has now. ..
    I am aware of boxing history:

my post from a week ago here

Even more to the point about the brutal potential of "boxing":

"Gouge and Bite, Pull Hair and Scratch:" The Social Significance of Fighting in the Southern Backcountry

We are in agreement on this:

Enjoy the read if you haven't seen it before...

-Daniel Weidman
    Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree, the amount of assholes ive met who do TMA is horrifically higher than those ive met who do combat sports. which is quite logical when you think about it, since people find it easy to be experts on something they *think* they know a lot about. such as my expertise on lesbian sex

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're Western. Boxing has never had any philosophy behind it, and it's been around a lot longer than a lot of other martial arts has.

Well, since the Greeks thought the gods on Olympus boxed and developed boxing as sport in order to bring themselves closer to their gods, you've got the lack of a philosophical component quite wrong there.

But, if you want to fast forward to "modern" boxing, it was developed as a "civilized" way to settle disputes that didn't require your pissed off neighbor to settle them by sticking you with a shiv while you were taking out the trash, so tthe lack of a philosophical component is wrong here, too.

And fast forward a little more, you've got a sport for entertainment purposes. Regardless of the culture you are in, the specifics of a particular method of entertainment still stems from philosophical underpinnings.

From my perspective, if you want to just stick to commitment and the will to prevail and improve, there is still a philisophical component to boxing training. However, anything further in the realm of philosophy I see as an inevitable byproduct, not a mandatory ingredient. You don't need to train it; it just happens. From that perspective, such byproducts are kind of like **** being a byproduct of eating food. People have to eat. Therefore, you have to eventually take a ****.

Now you can doing something with this philosophical byproduct just as you can pick up your **** and throw it at your neighbor. But most civilized people prefer to reduce the chances of being stuck with a shiv in retaliation by privately flushing their **** down the toilet.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 9/14/2006 4:12pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast