Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 5:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does age mean anything?

What are everyones thoughts on age affecting fighting/MA skills?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 6:36am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    What are everyones thoughts on age affecting fighting/MA skills?
    Well obviously it depends on who you are. Some folks slow down quickly others stay vital longer. So with that out of the way it all depends on how you train and what you train for. If you are competeing (judo as you tag says) most try to hook you up with similar demographics. If you are training for fun/fitness Then consider with age is you heal slower the older you get.

In a fight do i think age matters? well at the far ends absolutly can a 40 year old beat a 20 year old. Yes but it also goes the other way as well.

PT

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 6:40am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does size mean anything?

Does gendre mean anything?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 6:49am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, age (only 31, fwiw) has only meant my recovery times and innate stamina do not seem to be up to par with teenages and 20 something boys. The trade-off comes in temperance, patience, and wisdom (... at least that is why my mommy tells me). This is, at the least, very liberating for me; I mentally freed myself from working on being "strong" and have instead focused on being more technical (with the obvious caveat that physical attribute make a difference the closer partner's skill levels become). I think a lot of success can be had even when starting older, just set realistic expecations with yourself, but not at the expense of pushing yourself to your limits. Be safe; kick ass.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    For me, age (only 31, fwiw) has only meant my recovery times and innate stamina do not seem to be up to par with teenages and 20 something boys. The trade-off comes in temperance, patience, and wisdom (... at least that is why my mommy tells me). This is, at the least, very liberating for me; I mentally freed myself from working on being "strong" and have instead focused on being more technical (with the obvious caveat that physical attribute make a difference the closer partner's skill levels become). I think a lot of success can be had even when starting older, just set realistic expecations with yourself, but not at the expense of pushing yourself to your limits. Be safe; kick ass.
    Word.

When I turned 31, my ability to recover... my ability to do **** when down dramatically. So now I have to be more careful about getting enough sleep and have good nutrition. That is, before I could work out every day 2, even 3 hours at the gym (and hard), and still recover and make gains even if I didn't sleep well or ate crap the days before (not that that's a smart thing to do). Now forget it.

Past a certain age, a person just have to be more methodical in what the eat and train (and perhaps take supplements) to compensate for decrease in the ability to recover from hard, regular workouts/sports...

... having said, most people in their 30s and 40s who do MA, hit the gym or do any sport for that matter twice a week or more ARE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR much, much, much better shape that most people their junior (a sad state for a nation if you ask me.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:14am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Age is definitely a factor. As you age your reflexes will slow. your recovery time will take longer. Unfortunately age is one of the few opponents you can't beat. I am 36 and although not old by any means I still have noticed injuries taking longer to heal body taking a little longer to recoup from strenous workouts. Ahh but what do I know you have people like George Foreman who stepped into the ring against 20 somethings when he was considerably past his "prime".

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Unfortunately age is one of the few opponents you can't beat."

Test + HGH FTW.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ Not really. There is legitimate hormone therapy where a qualified doctor can prescribe HGH or Test, depending on several factors (and btw, no doctor will ever prescribe hormone therapy to anyone under 30, sometimes not even under 35 unless it's a serious fucked up case of a hormonal deficiency.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to get old, your skills and strength will degrade, and you're going to die. Keep training.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast