Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 11:19am

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get really technical, a salto is belly to belly while a suplay is belly to back.

Edit: Next time I'll read more carefully.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love souflet's, although I would not want to eat one off of that guy's belly....gross.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 11:59am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    [pedantic blah blah blah]

Actually, a belly-to-belly Back-Arch throw in Greco-Roman Wrestling is called a Salto, if memory serves.

The WWE has a Suplex (sounds like "sue - plecks"). However, a belly-to-back Back-Arch throw in Greco-Roman Wrestling is also called Suplex, but is pronounced as "sue - play" because it is a word of French origin in an international sport. In the U.S., many people have adopted "Suplay" as an alternate spelling.

Folkstyle wrestling used to just lump all this into a more generic term of Back-Arch. Regardless, I cringe when I hear "sue - plecks" (or worse - "sup - pill - lecks" - ugh!) applied to legitimate wrestling because of the WWE association.

[/pendatic blah blah blah]

As someone who's always said "suplecks" I appreciate any information that will help me sound like I know what I'm talking about. The back arching throws are some of my favorites to pull off.

Any idea what the proper term for a "guillotine suplex" is?
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 9/14/2006 12:02pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    well he does land on his head first and then rolls and finishes the sue-play. of course on "The Streets" that move would have result in some seriopus brain damage for the thrower.
    The dynamics of the throw don't work that way. He's using his head to post, not land. The brunt of the landing's impact is taken by the opponent and the attacker's shoulders. If the opponent had countered to cause a different landing, the attacker wouldn't have done that - at least at Olympic class levels of conditioning and technical competence. (Frankly, at that level of competition, it's a little strange the opponent didn't even release one or both overhooks to start a counter in mid throw. He got caught really badly.)

Regardless, while that throw requires a great deal of technical competence and conditioning over and above most all other throws, its result does not depend on the cushioning of the mat. If any serious damage to the attacker occurred, it would be to his neck - just like on mats in practice and in competition. Ugly cuts and an ouchie cartoon bump from the glass and lava of "t3h str33t" don't count as catastrophic. Neck injuries can be pretty bad, though.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 9/14/2006 12:17pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gill-a-tinny supp-lecks.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    As someone who's always said "suplecks" I appreciate any information that will help me sound like I know what I'm talking about. The back arching throws are some of my favorites to pull off.

Chokes aren't legal in Wrestling, so it would be called a disqualification. :smile:

I'm going to guess some might call it variation of a rice bail or a hay bail throw, perhaps. (Tawara Gaeshi??)

Information is about all I have. I hope nobody is fooled, LOL. I still read "Phrost" with the "o" like in "ghost" - not like in "frost" - even though I heard his pseudonym pronounced properly on a throwdown video.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 8:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm embarassed to say I remember that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:12pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity

When I was taught back arch throws I was told they were suplexes, so Iíve always used that naming convention. The first time I heard Suplay I was told it was a different pronunciation of Suplex, and the first time I heard Salto was by a guy who wrestled in the thirties. Suplex is pretty synonymous with back-arch throw now. It may have come from pro wrestling, but thatís life. There really is no governing body for the names of wrestling moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Chokes aren't legal in Wrestling, so it would be called a disqualification. :smile:
    [Nitpicking]

A choke in US Folkstyle would result in an Illegal Hold call and result in one point for the opponent. In the International styles, the first offense results in a warning and any subsequent offenses would award a point for the opponent.

If for whatever reason the ref misses the choke, then the throw would most likely end in an illegal slam for US Folkstyle. (1 point for the opponent. The opponent then uses the offending wrestlerís injury time to recover. If he cannot recover, he wins by DQ) In the International styles, it would probably earn 5 points for the attacker.

[/Nitpicking]

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would this be counted as a slam in a BJJ tournament?
    as i understand it, no.

slams aren't an issue during the takedown phase, only being considered once someone has some sort of position (normally closed guard).

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video. Wow. Do you practice with truck tyres or something for that move?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast