Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mouthguard(s) for braces?

I have upper and lower braces. Also, I'm starting Muay Thai very soon and so am getting equipment. The problem: I have no idea what I should do about the mouthguard. Google revealed differing opinions on whether a boil-and-bite or a custom-made mouthguard is better for braces. I'm visiting my orthodontist tomorrow, and am going to ask the same question, but I'm pretty sure the response will be that I should get a custom one (bling!). So, is a custom mouthguard worth the money? Also, should I get one mouthguard, or two, for both upper and lower teeth? Please reply today, I just realized this dilemna today and my appointment is tomorrow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:10pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong forum, sissy-boy. If you (or your folks) are taht concerned with your looks, you should try Tae-Kwon-Do.. They won't hit you as hard, and prolly not in the face, either.

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989
    Wrong forum, sissy-boy. If you (or your folks) are taht concerned with your looks, you should try Tae-Kwon-Do.. They won't hit you as hard, and prolly not in the face, either.
    The braces are for jaw problems, and I'd rather not lose teeth. Other than making me look like an idiot, that would also cause problems with eating.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge008
    I have upper and lower braces. Also, I'm starting Muay Thai very soon and so am getting equipment. The problem: I have no idea what I should do about the mouthguard. Google revealed differing opinions on whether a boil-and-bite or a custom-made mouthguard is better for braces. I'm visiting my orthodontist tomorrow, and am going to ask the same question, but I'm pretty sure the response will be that I should get a custom one (bling!). So, is a custom mouthguard worth the money? Also, should I get one mouthguard, or two, for both upper and lower teeth? Please reply today, I just realized this dilemna today and my appointment is tomorrow.
    a custom mouthguard would be worth the money, though I reckon you'd have to get a new one after your braces were removed. A custom mouthguard will interfere with your breathing far less than any other sort of mouthguard as I hear it, though they are many times more expensive than a normal boil and bite ($1-4 as compared to $70)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all seriousness----
    How much longer do you have braces? Are you starting MT, and if so do you expect to be sparring soon? Usually you don't start sparring till you have been training long enough to be safe in sparring, but that varies from school to school. If you have a few months left with braces, pass on the custom jigs as you won't even need a mouth piece. If not, then it amy be worth the money, though I have seen customs from an ortho that were $200+

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ringside just sent me a catalog and I saw mouthguards made especialy for people with braces .

It is the ShockDoctor #4 item number is : #shock-4
    listed @ 14.99 .

Check out combat sports online and a couple of sites and see if you can find it cheaper .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like your pet got knee-barred pretty bad, Monkey

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/bracesguard.html
    http://www.karatedepot.com/pr-mo-141.html (wow, look at the reviews)
    This is all that I found. It actually looks like it would work well. I found it at these two sites, and Amazon for $25. I don't like the price of the custom ones, but if I ask my orthodotist and it's reasonable, I'd proabably go for that. In any case, would having two mouthguards be better than one? (would a top mouthguard protect bottom teeth from serious messing-up?) Thanks for the help so far.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I'd be sparring for about a year before the braces come off, by estimates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No sir! If you gots jaw probs, you'll want one solid piece, and you'll want the 'double' type from Shock Doc. Two seperate mouthpieces would be BAD, and a single upper would be..IDK, something not as good.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really, if you're not actively competing a cheap mouthguard is fine. It's worth it if you fight a lot, not so much if you're not.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast