Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Regarding glutamine, I don't know if you, El Macho have read this.

And this, posted in another forum:

This is supposed to be taken form a HST faq, but link wasn't posted and I can't seem to find it, so take it with a grain of salt, if you may.
    Yeah, there's been reports questioning the usage of glutamine, but they are far and few compared to evidence in favor of it. The one thing that strikes me about this report is that

1. All 31 subjects are between 18 and 24 years of age, and
    2. The exercises were 4-5 sets of 6-12 reps from 60% to 90% intensity.

See, there is no information on the background of these subjects, plus they are at an age in which they virtually don't need any supplements at all. They are at their prime.

Also, the exercises are nothing, really. 4-5 sets of 6-12 reps from 60% to 90% intensity ain't gonna measure in the same way as a 2 hour grappling class or a really hard 90 minute weightlifting session.

Thus, the report covered progress on young adults who really don't need any supplements at all since their bodies can take any punishment and still recover, using an exercise plan that is not really strenous at all over a short period of time (6 weeks.)

I do not see how those results can be applied to individuals over 30 that need to recover from exercises far more intense than those in that study over a period of months if not years taking glutamine and aminoacids combined.

I may be wrong with my interpretation, though. :eusa_thin
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    I meant this one, altrough it's not complete. You can order the videos if you like what you see.
    I like this video. I'm not doing the same thing, but I'm borrowing on the idea of non-stop activity. That is (for example), I do my squats and immediately do clapping push ups followed by ab crunches, and then again squats (non-stop). Or if I'm doing bench presses, I immediately do lateral raises until failures and then duck walks, and the back to the bench press.

I try not to have any stops or gaps, pushing it and pushing it... depending of my available time I go from 45 minutes to two hours. I'm using this time that I'm working late hours (and thus not going to BJJ classes) for that. We'll see how it pays off when I go back to training first week of October :tongue3:

****, it that doesn't work, I'm going to :seppuku:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Just to clarify that for me it's not an issue of gassing early or simply learning better technique (not that that's wrong)

So let me out line what a CSW class is

-Start with a nice brisk normal jog.

-Then do a wrestlers scuttle (i I don't know the right name) as we're running so that you're facing inside squatted down real low with your hands up while still briskly going in a circle.

-Then into lunge walking

-then go to the end of the large mat space divide into two groups. first group runs to the end does three high knee jumps, runs to the middle does another three, go back to the other side do an other three then runs back (as quickly as you can) to the beginning then the other group goes. Repeat three times.

(it's about here I feel my muscles getting weak in the legs)

Do more/some roadwork in the AM. Work up to 2-3 miles every other day. It will fix this problem. And yes, running does suck.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Do more/some roadwork in the AM. Work up to 2-3 miles every other day. It will fix this problem. And yes, running does suck.
    Don't remind me. It sucks more than a vacuum cleaner. :viking:

Posted On:
    9/16/2006 8:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I life weights I like to go heavy with few reps, for strenght. I go high reps with calisthincs(push ups, bodyweight squats ect...) for stamina.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/16/2006 9:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone here had any luck with circuit style training? IE, a lift and then some treadmill, a lift and then some bagwork, etc instead of lift-rest-lift-rest-lift?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Has anyone here had any luck with circuit style training? IE, a lift and then some treadmill, a lift and then some bagwork, etc instead of lift-rest-lift-rest-lift?
    I've done that in the past, and it's a great way to get ripped. Plus I can get lots of cardio without boring the **** out of me (the way long sets of cardio do... cardio by itself is fucking boring... this is the reason I don't jog more. After 30 minutes my mind is like "enough of this **** already".)

The only problem is time, going back and forth from the weights to the threadmill (this only counts for crowded gyms - in other cases, it's a non-issue). I've tried the weights and bagwork, but but after bagwork, I'm done. The best way I think is lift some, then jump the rope, lift some more, skip some more. Lift-n-skip.

I'm currently restricting my cardio and stretching/yoga to the mornings. At night, I'm following a routine that looks like this (all of that taking about 70+/- minutes):

- quick warmup (2 sets jumping pushups or one hand push ups, 1-2 sets of chin ups and 2 sets of chin ups holding a tower rather than the bars)

- 4 to 5 sets of barbell rows, alternated with sets either pushups to failure or standing overhead presses. 40+ seconds of rest (or some **** like that, I just count during rest.)

- 3 to 4 sets of deadlifts alternated with push ups to failure

- 3 sets of squats going through the full set of motion (that is, all the way down), again, alternated with pushups to failure

- 2 to 3 sets of front squats (at this point, I can't go all the way down)... again, alternated with pushups to failure.

I have to use less weight than the typical because of the alternating pushups and the little break in between. Plus, it becomes a ************ to do 30-40 pushups right off the bat with this routine. The whole thing is a bitch to finish in 70+/- minutes.

It's a bitch, but I'm noticing my cardio and anabolic thresholds keep getting better and better. I'm getting freaking leaner and yet I'm still at 160lbs (so I'm building lean mass in the process).

I'm doing this at least 4 times a week, plus 1 to 2 miles of roadwork 4 times a week (2-4 miles if I use a threadmill.) Plus I've been able to sleep 7 hours most of the time.

I've only been able to keep it like that without wasting or getting shitty tired since I started taking up aminoacids and glutamine. I'm really swearing for this ****!!!!

I wrote some details on the products I've been using in this blog here if anyone cares to read :tongue6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2006 2:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I disagree. You want to "be stronger" during grappling. You should do high weight, low reps. This will make you stronger, including during grappling.

If you gas, you should do cardio. Real road work and lots of grappling, not benching 25lbs 16000 times.

Edit - the way it was 'splained to me was that as your strength increases the percentage of max force required goes down. The lower percentage of max effort you use, the longer you can go with it.

if your bench max is 150lbs, then moving 140lbs is hard as hell, no matter how many times you can bench 50lbs. if your bench 1rm is 350, moving that same 140lbs is a lot easier.

QFE!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 5:24pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amino Acids and Glutamine

From what I understand, Glutamine is an amino acid [a primary one] and when you're saying amino acids, you just mean to get your protein. (shake, salmon, meat.. whatever?).

Here is a whey isolate i've used for a while; I had been using glutamine as well, but upon examination, realized that this protein has more glutamine than most servings of glutamine do. IDS Protein. <- That is what I get.. not where I get it from, but has the full label which is nice, and the price actually isn't too bad there either. So, I think this is sufficient to get my aminos? I also will do a casein shake before bed, as it is supposedly a slower absorbing protein. Anyone have any opinion on this?I am 6' 150 [or less] most of the time but very active. I could probably push to go to 160, but it would be a lot of heavy lifting and eating like crazy. I can do lots of dips, pull ups, bench my weight no prob, so I'm not like super weak [or super strong], I just have a ballerina waist :icon_chee
    `KS

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/26/2006 7:30pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Sounds you have the same problem with grappling I do.

When I asked this same question to my first BJJ instructor, he told me the following:

"Roll More"
    In cycling, there used to be old-school coaches who would just say "ride more". This is fine if you are under-training, but that usually isn't the case for someone who spends enough time at it. If you are training to a high level, or if you just want to maximize the results of the time you do spend, then a more planned approach is better. Training cycles with specific purpose paid off for me.

The same old, same old won't push you past any plateaus. I don't have as much MA sport-specific advice, but I think the posts that address anaerobic threshold will help.

I'm gonna have to look into dropping some amino acid. Since I'm old and stuff.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast