Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    . ed - yeah, low weight/high rep sets are poop.
    Ditto.

It was late and I REALLY didn't want to get drawn into a debate, thus I opted to present some information without offering any opionions.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually love this one!!! Sorry Jesus.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question, what do you people consider low weight/high rep?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I went over 5000 today and never noticed. Go me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 8:18pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    I guess I'd better ask small questions for starters, Could yo please explain to me de difference between strenght training and power training? Links, confussed scientifical explanations and practical examples are wellcome.
    In this case, strength training actually refers to maximal strength training. This is where you push as much weight as you possibly can. Power training, by necessity, involves lower weight moved as quickly as possible. Hang on, I'm not explaining this well. You should always move weight as quickly as possible, but with power training, you're actually practicing moving weight fast. Fast like you might throw or tackle someone. Think Olympic lifting. You need to go well below your 1RM to do this. Power training is a lot more sport specific because the speed and coordination required are way closer to applied technique.

Don't get me wrong; power training is not the only thing you should be doing -- it's just one part of a good periodized program -- but it's way more useful to a martial artist than slamming out endless low intensity reps on a ThighMaster.

P.S. My previous rant was not directed at RepulsiveMonkey in particular.
    Suck it anyway.

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 8:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But wasn't low weights lifted in such an explosive manner very hard on the joints due to the inertia?

Oh, and

Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Suck it anyway.
    **** you too.

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 8:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question, what do you people consider low weight/high rep?
    Good question. If you use a given weight with which you can do several sets with each set has more than 20 reps, then that's low weight/high rep IMO.

I say several sets because one can do one form drop sets where first you do a heavy set of no more than 8 reps, quick break followed by a low weight that allows you do 20+reps just to burn the **** out of it.

I also say 20 reps because there are some muscle groups that usually react better to a high number of reps. Usually calves are like that. Biceps and hamstrings, too.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But wasn't low weights lifted in such an explosive manner very hard on the joints due to the inertia?.
    When I first started weightlifting back in 92, I thought so, too. But after a while of doing that, it didn't get me anywhere. You can be explosive with a heavy set. Say, take a dumbell with which you can do 10 sets, and try to do'em as fast as possible.

But for explosiveness, I think, it's usually better to use bodyweight exercises. For example, jumping/clapping push ups, fast sprinting, chin ups as fast as possible, jumping back and forth over a bench. They are safer, and if you combine them with compound exercises like squats and bench presses, that's a sweet combo.

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, I understand the difference in the explosiveness of a high weight vs. a low weight. I mean, a high weight lifted explosive won't move fast because... well, it weights a lot. But a low weight lifted explisvely will move fast, and at the finishing of the movement, it may place some undesirable stress on the joints due to the inertia, that's basically what I meant.

Besides, I'm not sure if that kinds training (low weight lifted explosively) has a significant benefit. That is, if it produces a physical improvement that would carry over to other activities (such as rolling as it's the case) that couldn't be achieved or even surpassed by other training methods.

As for me, I see no reason to lift weights that would let me perform more than 12 reps per set, doing several sets, as you pointed. Unless we're talking rehab, of course, but that's not the case.

More than that is a waste of time, since probably there are other training methods to achieve such results in a more efficent way.

Now, another question, lifting heavy weights in an explosive manner, couldn't be considered as a kind of power training too?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyways so the consenus is lift heavier weights for lower reps, take amino acids and roll more?
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 9/14/2006 10:22pm at .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast