I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low weight high reps

A quick question to those with knowledge. I have started to go to the gym again. My goal is to of course increase my strengthb but more importantly my muscle endurance (if that's the righ phrase) so when grappling I can keep my strength up longer.

Therefor I am doing low weights at high reps.

Does that make sense? I think so bu8t I thought I would ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 10:48am

Style: martial

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds about right to me =)

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably shouldn't respond to this because I'm completely unqualified: I am under the impression that you would want to lift weights to gain maximum strength. (Lifting as much weight as possible, for as many times as possible.) Then do your activity specific endurance training (Sparring, rolling, bagwork, padwork etc.)

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 10:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I probably shouldn't respond to this because I'm completely unqualified: I am under the impression that you would want to lift weights to gain maximum strength. (Lifting as much weight as possible, for as many times as possible.) Then do your activity specific endurance training (Sparring, rolling, bagwork, padwork etc.)
    It's not exactly cardio I am looking at but muscle endurance which I believe is different, the ability to keep your strength up at a certain level over a long period of exertion.

I kind of remember someone telling me that low weight high reps are the way to achieve it.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodyweight exercises.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes. Depends. Low weight and high reps by themselves may add variety, but after a while, they won't do a thing for you since your body will adapt. So you want to combine them with something else. I think what you are looking for is to extend your ability to do work when oxygen is depleted (when lactic acid builds up). Your anaerobic endurance basically... don't know if that's the right term... oh, **** it.

Based on what I've seen and experienced in the past, low weight/high reps work great after a heavy set, as a modified form of drop sets to increase endurance.

For example, assume you do a set of bicep curls with, oh I dunno, 50lbs dumbells. As soon as you finish, then you immediately grab a pair of 20-25lbs dumbells and do reps until failure. Doesn't matter how many reps. Just go until failure. Take a short break and then go for the 15lbs and repeat. That's one set in total.

Another thing is that you want to be able to maintain a contraction for as long as possiblep; that's another aspect of endurance - and this is where I fail misserable when I try to do a triangle (my ghay right hamstring gives up very quickly.)

Again, using bicep curls as examples, you could do a regular set on one-arm bicep curls (instead of doing both at the same time). Take a few seconds break, and immediately grab a very large dumbell, one that you can only do 2-4 reps. Grab it with your right hand, and use your left to assist in bring it up. Keep your arm contracted about 1/4 short of full contraction. In some literatures, this is called static contraction.

Let the left hand go, and try to keep your right arm contracted in that position. Eventually the arm will go down in an extended position, but you want to fight it off for say, 20 seconds. Here, you are working on endurance when the muscle is at its strongest position (close to/at full contraction).

Another variation is to do the same, but keeping the arm 1/4 short of full extension and delay the need to extend the arm as long as possible. Here you are working your bicep at its weakest position (close to/at full extension).

The same concepts can be applied to triceps, forearms, calves, quads, hamstrings, you name it. And it doesn't take a lot of time from your workout since pple can't/shouldn't do that many of those sets. They are taxing.

I'd also suggest you use foam grips in your dumbells to make the grip wider. My girly looking hands have become a lot stronger, specially my thumb since I started using those 6 months ago. I just fucking love it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * I think I need to fork over some cash for a trainer to show me what to do

I am like a crappler when it comes to lifting
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 9/13/2006 11:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:31am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    * I think I need to fork over some cash for a trainer to show me what to do

I am like a crappler when it comes to lifting
    If you want to train for muscular endurance, you want to be lifting lighter weights for more reps. That's not a ridiculous number of reps though - high IMO is around 12-15 reps. Do all your normal lifts too - not just biceps curls and pushdowns.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. You want to "be stronger" during grappling. You should do high weight, low reps. This will make you stronger, including during grappling.

If you gas, you should do cardio. Real road work and lots of grappling, not benching 25lbs 16000 times.

Edit - the way it was 'splained to me was that as your strength increases the percentage of max force required goes down. The lower percentage of max effort you use, the longer you can go with it.

if your bench max is 150lbs, then moving 140lbs is hard as hell, no matter how many times you can bench 50lbs. if your bench 1rm is 350, moving that same 140lbs is a lot easier.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 9/13/2006 11:42am at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:38am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. Increasing your maximal strength will increase the number of reps you can do at a lower weight.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast