Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:43am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I do like board breaking. I have only one reason why.

Commitment.

Especially in children, you watch them fail to break boards constantly. The reason is they do not want to commit their blow. Once you can teach them the commitment, then they strike with more force. I beat a lot of kids up as a kid not because I was tough or knew martial arts, but simply because I Knew how to follow though with a punch.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's cool to watch, and like FictionPimp said it does teach you to commit totally to a blow, but that's about it. We do some in Kyokushin and while it's fun, we know it's not going to really help our kumite skills at all. It's mostly to learn how to commit to a blow and using your weight transfer properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 1:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Board breaking is extremely gimmicky. There's definately a huge ooh and ahh factor involved.

However, I do believe there is some use to it but only at lower levels. I believe that board breaking can be useful in teaching younger students how to strike through their targets and how to get the weight of their body behing their kick or punch.

For the more experienced a pad will do just fine. But its hard for students with little experience to understand the importance of putting your weight behind a strike until you have them hit something hard that will "push" back (equal opposite reaction) if it doesn't break.

After that has sunken through there is only marginal benefit except to demonstrate striking form during tests (and also to make them look good).

I think people should hit hard surfaces for conditioning but that's a separate topic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 1:57pm

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower
    It's cool to watch, and like FictionPimp said it does teach you to commit totally to a blow, but that's about it. We do some in Kyokushin and while it's fun, we know it's not going to really help our kumite skills at all. It's mostly to learn how to commit to a blow and using your weight transfer properly.
    Good post.

I and many of my students do a lot of breaking. Breaking is a mandate for senior ranks during testing. We do it for a number of reasons.

1- Overcoming fear. Many students have no problem engaging with their training partners and instructors, working out hard, and taking a bit of pain. They have no problem doing this because deep down, they know that ultimately are safe because all those people they are working with are not out to crush them and, in fact, are often working for their best intrest- much like a Drill Instructor in the military. You may hate your DI, but you both wear the same uniform and fight for the same team.

A board or a brick, on the other hand, being an inanimate object, cannot be reasoned with and you cannot surrender to it. You either beat it or it beats you; a simple lesson. If a student approaches the board or brick and is afraid of it, they often lose and sometimes get hurt. If they are not afraid of it, they usually succeed and even if they fail, they get hurt less and are able to continue and try again. How is that a bad lesson to teach a student?

2- All the cliche' benefits of focus and power. Blah, blah, blah. But it really is true and really does work.

3- It draws in a crowd. Yes, it will draw in people to either join your school or attend your event. Last year, I put on a fundraiser for Hurricane Relief. I prepped it in just 4 days and managed to get a very public venue at a local festival to do the event. There were thousands of people present over the 2-day festival, and the bulk of the $4,600 we raised were onsite. My students were doing a thousand punches and a thousand kicks for pledges, but the crowds really gathered and pulled out the bucks when my senior students and I were breaking boards and blocks. Over the 2 days I broke around 200 boards and 200 blocks. I was wrecked after the event. As much as it is "showy" or "flashy", it not only served it's purpose, but proved that my students and I are willing to go through long and extreme conditions to acheive our goal. Again, how is this bad?

4- Ok, it's just fun. I mean, c'mon. Breaking stuff, crushing stuff, and getting oohs and aahs from the crowd. Where's the downside here? I either break stuff or dance. And beleive me- I don't dance. :karated:

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know about the ice, but I have broken, the flat concrete blocks. (about 3" thick) You have to se them up right. I broke three at once. They were stacked on 1/2" peces of wood and the wood was set at he very end to allow the most leverage. I had to hit htem hard to get the first to break but the other two I didnt even feel, Got lotsa holy craps. But it doesnt make me a badass.
    I agree that it makes you follow through and not be scared to commit to a hit. I guess thats all there is to it.
    Please let me know if yor MA practices B breaking. I am curious how wide spread it is.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingPower

My thoughts exactly!! Of course if you knew me you seek immeadiate psychiatric help.

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrRuss1
    Good post.

IMO, people can criticize breaking all they want when they can do this. But not before.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 8:40pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a few guys who can break coconuts, they agree with me.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good lord, that guy is my long-lost twin.

Anyway, if you're just breaking stuff because it's fun to break stuff, then I can sympathize. Blowing stuff up is much more fun, though.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 9:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    IMO, people can criticize breaking all they want when they can do this. But not before.
    The best comment I have heard so far on this.I suck at it BTW.Even though in my school we hardly to any breaking.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast