Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:36pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kappo- Fact or Fiction?

Does anyone have experience in the so called "healing arts". I'm sure that there is some validity somewhere, but this seems to be the most BS aspect of alot of TMA.

I subscribe to topical analgesics, vicodin, and my orthopedic surgeon.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:03pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't "kappo" the sound when someone hits you in the face?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:43pm

Style: no-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koppo(or Kappo or whatever) is something Ive only heard of as being a part of the old-school Kodokan Judo syllabus, as "methods of rescuscitation when someone was choked out. Maybe there is more to it, but I don't know.

Today they have probably been phased out in place of more modern western methods, but the hardcore Judo guys probably know more about it than I do.

But I do know that Kano saw Koppo very much as a part of Judo.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einar Fridgeirs
    Koppo(or Kappo or whatever) is something Ive only heard of as being a part of the old-school Kodokan Judo syllabus, as "methods of rescuscitation when someone was choked out. Maybe there is more to it, but I don't know.

Today they have probably been phased out in place of more modern western methods, but the hardcore Judo guys probably know more about it than I do.

But I do know that Kano saw Koppo very much as a part of Judo.
    Its KAPPO not KOPPO. They are two different things.

Kappo isn't as stated basic fist aid from a competition or training injury. There no real BS mystic mumbo jumbo to it. From being choked out or kicked in the nuts kappo is just ways of dealing with it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Its KAPPO not KOPPO. They are two different things.

Kappo isn't as stated basic fist aid from a competition or training injury. There no real BS mystic mumbo jumbo to it. From being choked out or kicked in the nuts kappo is just ways of dealing with it.
    Sorry dude, I just wasnt sure...Ive heard both terms used to describe "the methods of rescusictation" in Judo. Do they use the same techniques/terms in other japanese arts to deal with KO's in Karate etc...?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 8:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koppo = Bone Method (attacking the bones)
    Kappo = Healing Method (How to wake up someone who been choked out)

PS. To the guy who said Kappo = Koppo. Do you enjoy posting about things you don't know anything about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Koppo = Bone Method (attacking the bones)
    Kappo = Healing Method (How to wake up someone who been choked out)

PS. To the guy who said Kappo = Koppo. Do you enjoy posting about things you don't know anything about?
    Jeez....I wasn't sure which was which....Its been awhile since I heard about this. And I stated explicitly that the only context Id heard about this was in Judo, and that might not be what he was asking about at all....

Just because I mixed up one letter is no reason to be an ass about it now is it?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 11:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am about half way through a book titled "The Complete Kano Jiu-Jitsu [Judo]" by H. Irving Hancock and Katsukuma Higashi. I bought the book for historical purposes because it was originally published in 1905 and has been republished identical to the original.

The last chapter of the book speaks of "Kuatsu, or the Restoration of Life". If this was truly a teaching of Kano the following reads like Judoka were originally chi loving hippies and proponents of the one touch knockout. Pretty interesting from a historical perspective. The experienced judoka on this forum may have more information concerning these particular authors or the following representation of resuscitation techniques, Kuatsu, employed in the Kano system.

"Almost from the inception of jiu-jitsu, probably twenty-five centuries ago, the Japanese began to get inklings of the possibilities of that wonderful science of vitality which has since become known under the name of kuatsu. Persons who have fainted, or who have been struck unconscious, are quickly - almost instantly - brought back to full possession of their faculties.

Originally kuatsu was, no doubt, employed solely for reviving victims of attacks. In later centuries however, it was discovered that this strange science was potent in cases of drowning, sunstroke, and injuries from other accidental causes.

In the following pages every authentic phase of this wonderful yet simple work of revivification is given. The directions are few and simple, yet great care must be observed by the student. Success cannot attend carelessness. The vital points that must be touched in the manipulations must be found with exactitude or the desired results will not follow.

It is recommended that the student, when merely practicing, make the touches and other manipulations very lightly. It is a curious fact, which will be noted by the reader, that many of the points of the body touched in the kuatsu manipulations are also points that are touched in attack for the purpose of causing death or insensibility.

AT ALL TIMES FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS WITH PAINS-TAKING CARE !"

Hancock and Higashi, The Complete Kano Jiu-Jitsu [Judo], Page 507, Dover Publications, Inc.
    Pretty interesting IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 6:33am

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned some Kappo (as taught in Kodokan Judo). I showed it to a paramedic and they laughed and said it was bollocks.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:39am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've learned a little about the judo techniques in question. Like how to work the ribs from the back to get someone breathing, and how to position someone to wake them up. If I was in that situation I would sit the person up, if they did not come around shortly and were not breathing, I would then call 911 and do CPR. It's a lot simplier and proven effective and I can't get sued for it because I'm certified. I could just seem me explaining the anient method of stickign my knee in your back and working the rib cage to make you breathe vs just doing cpr.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast