Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 3:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gene Simco "Essentials of Jiu-Jitsu" 4 DVD Set

I finally broke down and ordered this 4 DVD set Ė if it had been available from Amazon, even without a discount, I would have bought the set earlier, but the jiu-jitsu.net website run by Simco, which is the only place thery are currently sold, puts me off with its aggressive marketing techniques. For example, despite declining an offer to subscribe to the monthly "on-line" training, the order system tried to sneak it into my cart at check-out. Good thing I checked the order details.

That negativity aside, I like Simcoís introductory book on BJJ (which I got at Amazon) although even a short period of real "on the mat" training makes it seem a little simple. I got interested in the 4 DVD "Essentials" set based on the free "sampler" DVD that comes with the book.

Whatever the problems with Simco's on-line marketing, the sampler DVD shines. It is well directed and shot, and Simco is a very clear and engaging teacher, going into great detail and showing techniques from several angles. That's also probably why 4 one-hour DVDís donít cover a lot of techniques, or go beyond "basics." But, as Simco says, his goal is to cover all the "essentials" and he makes a compelling argument why you need them, and need them first.

I feel I really need some additional help like this, since my training dojo has just started promoting its first "home grown" blue belts after a year and a half of operations. The students are hungering for intermediate and advanced instruction, and the days of getting "basics" at every class are probably long gone, unless they get another wave of beginners all at once.

Another reason for getting the set is so my wife can drill basics with me. I won't have to try to drudge the details of each drill and position from my memory - she and I will be able to watch a clip together, then try out the moves to see how they fit together.

(As a humorous aside, when I asked my wife to take the mount position last night so I could practice Upa and Shrimping and build up my strength against bodyweight resistance, she took her job way too seriously and fought like hell to keep me pinned down. Clearly she doesn't understand limits, boundaries, and drilling. :badgrin: On the other hand, maybe I should sign her up for real classes....)

Do any of you have any comments on Simcoís DVDís or techniques? Do his stuff all pass basic muster?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    [

That's also probably why 4 one-hour DVDís donít cover a lot of techniques, or go beyond "basics."
    or it could be because he's a well-known fraud who doesn't have the skills to demonstrate anything else. go here and search his name if you need a laugh and have a few dozen hours to spare:

http://www.jiujitsugear.com/forum/in...board,2.0.html

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen one of his instructional DVD's (I Netflixed it). Sorry, I don't remember the name. I've got to say I hated it. If you've had a couple months in BJJ you would have seen everything on the DVD. That's not the problem, though. I know some people want to see the most basic techniques.

What I hated was the way he said the same things over and over and over again, and constantly reiterated every little point. Damn, you can target beginners without treating them like morons. That's what makes DVD's so useful. If you didn't catch what he says, you can hit rewind. I got you the first time, Gene.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simco.
    Ha.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    [omitted text]

What I hated was the way he said the same things over and over and over again, and constantly reiterated every little point. Damn, you can target beginners without treating them like morons. That's what makes DVD's so useful. If you didn't catch what he says, you can hit rewind. I got you the first time, Gene.
    This is a good point. Even on the sampler DVD that came with the book he tends to repeat a lot. On the other hand I want my wife and daughter to learn something from these DVD's too, so maybe it will work for me...when I get them and watch them I'll post back as to whether they were worthwhile or a waste of money which could have been better spent on extra classes or private lessons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Burn it.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much better choices out there...

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 6:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone gave me their copy of Simco's first book before I did bjj. Should have been a clue to its worth. When my dog ate my expensive hapkido book (talk about a waste of money) I tried to get him to shred simco.

He wouldn't touch it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 6:18pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    on the sampler DVD that came with the book he tends to repeat a lot.
    I couldn't get all the way through the DVD. He was so redundant.
    I've also never seen a book with so many misspellings before either.

You're probably better off looking for something else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack
    I couldn't get all the way through the DVD. He was so redundant. I've also never seen a book with so many misspellings before either.
    and note that the photos are always arranged so that you can't see his belt ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast