Posted On:
    9/22/2009 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dean Hersche BJJ Black Belt - Tecumseh Martial Arts Academy

Quote Originally Posted by xWJTx View Post
    No but I've been going over their webpage and it's seems the instructor is the only BJJ black belt in Windsor. Can anyone confirm the legitimacy of his claims? I'm searching for quality instruction in Martial Arts atm and would be curious if this guy is legit.

Hey man,

I train at Dean's school. You're correct in that he is the only BJJ black belt in the Windsor area. Dean is a great person and instructor and I would recommend him to anyone who is serious about training BJJ in the area.

As for confirming his legitimacy I can say that I was their personally at the event where Saulo Ribeiro awarded Dean his black belt. Dean has trained with Saulo and Xande for years. Since you've already visited the website you'll be able to find pictures from that day on their website under news items from last October (2008).

Dean is as legit as it gets and the technique he teaches at the academy is first class. I suggest that you give Loree (his wife) a call and arrange a free trial class to see if he/the academy is what you're looking for.

I hope that I was able to answer some of your questions. Good luck man!

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 8:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow so many good schools so hard to choose. but i have a few questions that would help

if someone is backed by someone (such as jean jaques machado). what does that entail exactly. does he come and teach at the academy? are you invited to seminars that are not available to others? do i test from him and get my belts from him?

its hard to decide between the different schools. people seem to talk about jiu jitsu windsor alot. and it seems like a good school. and until the last post or two no one even mentioned tecumseh martial arts . now im no expert but to me it seems i would rather train under a black belt than a purple belt if i had the choice. is there a big difference between purple and black? i always thought you had to be a black belt to teach but looking on the internet it seems a black belt is pretty rare compared to other martial arts.

if anyone could help that would be great

thanks

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 9:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Guys new to windsor or looking for a place to train!! Remember Maximum Fitness Centre at the corner of Cabana and Dougall. If you go to the College just a mile up the road from the college. BJJ we have JORGE BRITTO BJJ black belt coming to do a seminar at the club on Oct 17th, 2009 Both Gi and NO GI seminars. available. Check out the MFC website to see the current going on's. WWW.MFCWINDSOR.COM

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri4me View Post
    Hey Guys new to windsor or looking for a place to train!! Remember Maximum Fitness Centre at the corner of Cabana and Dougall. If you go to the College just a mile up the road from the college. BJJ we have JORGE BRITTO BJJ black belt coming to do a seminar at the club on Oct 17th, 2009 Both Gi and NO GI seminars. available. Check out the MFC website to see the current going on's. WWW.MFCWINDSOR.COM
    What rank is the gym's full time Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teacher and who is he associated with?

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil Navarro - Purple Belt under

However come on in and take a peek and see. We fight all the time in MMA events and top Grappling events in the province and come back with top awards. We were just at the Canadian Team Grappling event in Ottawa in August and came back with a number of podiums finish's Our team is no joke with Rino Belcastro the Team Leader so to speak you are good hands.

Dont trust me... Just come in and check us out im certain you will not be disappointed. We are also the fastest growing sucessfull club in the city.

Peace! Triangles!!

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember, choose a school that offers what you are interested in. Gi or no Gi? MMA oriented (i.e. there are strikers and wrestlers and other MMA competitors who actually train at the club). Take a look at the equipment in the club; does the club have an actual ring? Puzzle mats? Real Judo mats? Are you interested in contact or no contact? Do you want a belt or just solid work on universal fundamentals? Are you a more recreational player or looking at MMA? The clubs i have seen in Windsor offer quite the range. A lot of the clubs that have BJJ affiliations stick to a more straight BJJ gi curriculum. They tend to stress these affiliations (i.e. franchising models, lineage) while at the same time frowning upon other grappling clubs that take a more general approach. I am not to fond of this for a couple of reasons. One, often the instruction at other clubs is better because the instructors have a lot of mat time in wrestling, judo, bjj and are not interested in "belts". Having National Team level wrestlers around as well as Judo black belts and Bjj guys is better than just having just 12 years old blue belt bjj players. And secondly, a lot of these clubs have better equipment. Many of the more modern Bjj places mention self defense training, but where are the heavy bags and proven impact equipment? How about real mats instead of puzzle mats? I find a lot of the BJJ schools in the Windsor area are good because the instructors are making an effort to actually learn BJJ from the Saulo's and Rigans etc. This is great for those who are interested in BJJ belts, Gi s, and the art etc. I would just ask that they also support their fellow grapplers who are also interested in BJJ as well as other combat sports such as boxing and wrestling. There is Bjj, sport Bjj, judo , wrestling, boxing, kick boxing etc etc etc so try to find a school that suit your needs. I personally like doing general grappling and striking, no gi so i go to MFC Windsor. This is not a plug for them, but i definately encourage people to check out all the clubs to see what fits your needs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri4me View Post
    Phil Navarro - Purple Belt under

However come on in and take a peek and see. We fight all the time in MMA events and top Grappling events in the province and come back with top awards. We were just at the Canadian Team Grappling event in Ottawa in August and came back with a number of podiums finish's Our team is no joke with Rino Belcastro the Team Leader so to speak you are good hands.

Dont trust me... Just come in and check us out im certain you will not be disappointed. We are also the fastest growing sucessfull club in the city.

Peace! Triangles!!
    Interesting, I just have a few questions... What kind of equipment do you have (mats, bags, ring, etc.)? Who's your kickboxing instructor and what are his qualifications? And what is your pricing structure like?

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 8:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i definitely thought about mfc. but for now im more interested in traditional bjj with the gi

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 12:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mfc windsor

Quote Originally Posted by xWJTx View Post
    Interesting, I just have a few questions... What kind of equipment do you have (mats, bags, ring, etc.)? Who's your kickboxing instructor and what are his qualifications? And what is your pricing structure like?
    Mats (lots), Bags i would say 12 or so Heaviy bags, Double end bags, Ring, Kickboxing instructor is Rino Belcastro. He currently fights in Chuck Norris World Combat League. Has been selected to fight for the K-1 Japan Organization. I believe he is Second Degree Black Belt in Isshinryu Karate.

Pricing Structures Vary depending on what you are looking for.

I believe the max price is around 85.00 / month which gives you everything. Fitness area membership, all classes.

Contact the gym. www.mfcwindsor.com or just call or stop by 519-250-6900 or 3850 Dougalll

Cheers!!

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im near windsor ont. and want to know the best place i can go for kickboxing i have no additional training in any style of fighting any one know the goods?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast