Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the army even have a 7.62 LMG in active use anymore?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    Does the army even have a 7.62 LMG in active use anymore?
    I can't say for sure about the Army, but the Marine Corps replaced the M60 with the M240G, which is also 7.62. I'm guessing the Army uses it, too. It is a HEAVY son of a bitch. It was originally designed to be vehicle mounted, but jarheads ended up having to hump that fucker. Typical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 1:15pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I can't say for sure about the Army, but the Marine Corps replaced the M60 with the M240G, which is also 7.62. I'm guessing the Army uses it, too. It is a HEAVY son of a bitch. It was originally designed to be vehicle mounted, but jarheads ended up having to hump that fucker. Typical.
    The 240 didn't replace the 60 as a squad weapon, the 249 did. As a medium machine gun the 240 is a crew served weapon. As such it's in Weapons Platoon along with the SMAW and 60mm mortars. Yeah it still gets humped around; but so do the SMAWs and 60s.

EDIT: This is about the Marine Corps, I have no idea what the Army does. I do know that some of their units still use the M60 though.
    Last edited by CannibalCrowley; 9/12/2006 1:21pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 1:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    The 240 didn't replace the 60, the 249 did. As a medium machine gun the 240 is a crew served weapon. As such it's in Weapons Platoon along with the SMAW and 60mm mortars. Yeah it still gets humped around; but so do the SMAWs and 60s.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. The SAW was being used when I went in, so I never saw the M60 being used by a rifle platoon. Our Weapons Platoons were using the M60, then switched to the 240G later. That's why I thought of the 240 as being the replacement to the M60.

Sure, they hump all those weapons. I just find it humorous that men are routinely required to carry weapons that are intended to be vehicle mounted.
    Last edited by Devil; 9/12/2006 1:35pm at .

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 1:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, Cannibal - what unit are/were you with? B 1/8 here.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 1:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna have to show this to one of my team mates. He was a SAW gunner.

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told that some braches of SF still use the 60. This comes from dudes that train them and is at least second hand... so... grain of salt.
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely because SF weapons sergeants learn how to shoot anything with a trigger, from the most mundane to the most high-tech.

That video was awesome, made my day.

As for the interchangable magazine bit, yeah the M249 does have a place where you can slap in one of your 16 mags if you run out of ammo with the drum. The shitty part is, it tends to jam a lot easier using a mag than a drum though. The 240 can be pretty heavy after a while, if I remember right it weighs somewhere around 27 pounds. Definitely better to hump one of those fuckers around though compared to a Mark 19. The gun alone weighs 168 or so, add in the ammo and the tripod and you have a group of very unhappy Marines.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 3:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe they are supposed to be unhappy from humping heavy machineguns around so that when they do get to fire it they are nice and pissed off?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 3:27pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    By the way, Cannibal - what unit are/were you with? B 1/8 here.
    2/3 Echo Co, Wpns Plt

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu
    I've been told that some braches of SF still use the 60. This comes from dudes that train them and is at least second hand... so... grain of salt.
    I wouldn't doubt it. Some normal Army units still have the M60 (at least they did a few years ago). We were assigned to agress a pogue Army unit and we had to use their weapons. Part of that group was one M60. Thankfully one of our machine gunners actually had a decent knowledge of the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    Definitely better to hump one of those fuckers around though compared to a Mark 19. The gun alone weighs 168 or so, add in the ammo and the tripod and you have a group of very unhappy Marines.
    Actually I think the Mk19 is around 80 pounds or so. Still not light; but humpable (especially if the person doesn't have a pack or is cheating and using a cart).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast