Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 6:49pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok.....level 1 training= no belt basic break falls, punches, basic kicks, choke defense, 360 defense, inside defense. 6 months and you should test. level1 test= 3-4.5 hr warm up, excerises, refresher. 1-2 hour test( depends on how many people) pass= yellow belt. level 2 = hooks uppercut, side,back, advancing kicks, bearhugs, crappling( modded bjj) etc. level 2 test same idea as 1 pass= orange belt. level 3 = we did ALOT of multiple attacker, 1 on 1 sparring, fairly heavy contact. then they intro alot of lame spinning hook kicks ,blah blah.. level 3 test pass = green belt level 4 is alot of knoife and gun stuff. I lost interst after 3 with all those stupid things that were testable, and their best teacher left to open his on gym.
    alot of my instructors at this school were legit tough guys and pushed you hard and sparred alot. I don't think this happens in many krav places. their fight classes were fun and we would box, kickbox, takedowns ,all three. they now have a beginner fight class which is good, and you can do that right away.
    I think that school is now headed in the wrong direction. I still train with the one instructor who left the school and now shares a gym with a ralph gracie school. we spar boxing to takedowns
    hope that helps

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 7:13pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you passed the level four test you would have been a blue belt.

Passing level five, would have been a brown?

and level six, would have been Black?

Do you think someone should be teaching with a green belt, or do you think it should be a higher belt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 8:38pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe so. I believe getting brown or black is pretty hard. my school didn't even offer level 5 cause there are so few. If I'm not mistaken, there are under 20 BB in the US. one is at my school and I believe is also a BB in Kyosh. Karate. to go black , maybe brown, you have to go to LA. one of the owners of my old school went and didn't pass the BB. I believe to teach , you need to be at least 2 levels above what you teach. Being an instructor means you go to LA and train for a week or 2. all the teachers I've met have been good, suppossedly they pick you not the other way around. What sucks is it costs like 5 grand to "become" a teacher. so it seems alot of the teachers get sponsored by their school which legally binds them to teach at the sponsor school for years. The only teachers I've had have been at least level 4 and they had the ability to teach and explain every answer. lower belt not sure

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 8:43pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Curriculum

SB,
    See the following link for a break down of curriculum up to Black belt. i.e. yellow through brown.

http://www.kravmagadfw.com/curriculum.html

previous posters I think clarified the phases vs. belts/levels. i.e. phases are about what you can teach whereas levels are your rank within the KM.

To the question about KM organizations in the US.
    KM Association of American - is the Levine/Whitman organization, probably the most widespread, heavily franchised out, taught (usually very poorly) by ATA schools in a lot of cases and more recently specialty schools with a bit more focus. (sad side note - Levine's wife died end of Sept of cancer)

Krav Maga Inc. - Mostly NYC based, run by Rhon Mizrachi, under Haim Sut (out of the Wingate Institute in Israel - sort of a national sports training institute - KM included).

IKMF - International KM Federation - Eyal Yanilov - mostly limited to seminar teaching in the US. At one time were hand in hand with Levine but a parting of the ways after copyright disputes has changed their relationship. Schools are uncommon.

Commando KM - Moni Aizik - Canada based - recruiting heavily for instructors - still not huge penetration in the US. Mostly seminars, hyped extensively in Black Belt Magazine. Claims heavy contribution to the original development of KM but "stayed out of the limelight". Commando KM is much more judo oriented in style reflecting Aizik's judo background.

Haganah/FIGHT - Mike Kanarek - heavily hyped. Supposedly "Krav Maga evolved" - Style is structured around getting to PoR - Points of Reference - from where to initiate further defensive/offensive techniques.

Hope that's useful.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:02pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So lets suppose I had passed phase four, I could teach and grade up through phase two?

How does anyone know how long the full time camps last?

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:08pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did go to the dallas link. And if I understand correctly Grade II is a brown belt. What is grade one and grade three?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uhhhh, where'd you get the Grade II part from ?
    Brown = Level 5. Orange = Level 2.
    I've only seen grade used for instructor quals in IKMF.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try and clarify phases a little more. Phases are about qualifying you too teach techniques more so than levels. So Phase A is basic techniques and how to teach them, B more advanced, C more so and so on. Additionally complexity is added in how to teach these, i.e. drill types etc. But a technique can potentially, with variation be applied across more than one level. So... Passing Phase A training provides you with a range of techniques in KM you are able to and qualified to instruct. You could potentially teach these to more than one level/belt.

cheers

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:30pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    uhhhh, where'd you get the Grade II part from ?
    Brown = Level 5. Orange = Level 2.
    I've only seen grade used for instructor quals in IKMF.
    http://www.kravmagadfw.com/instructors.html

This instructor describes himself as a "Level II instructor" and as "Certified Grade 2"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    excuse my crappy typing and proofing.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast