Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 3:48pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav question for FAQ

Right now, the Bullshido staff are putting together a FAQ regarding how to find a good maritial arts school.

As most of you are aware Krav Maga has been very heavily franchised resulting in people teaching this art who have minimal experience.

So lets say there were four or five Krav schools in a large city. What sort of background would indicate which instructor had the most experience in this art.

Is it belt color? A particular level or stage or approval?

Please break it down for me.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 4:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga instructors typically don't wear a belt during class...which can be incredibly deceptive as you never know if you're being taught by a Phase 1 or an Instructor Trainer.

However, all instructors are given rank certificates with the level that they've attained and the level they can test to. They are supposed to display these in plain view.

Just so you know, you can't spar until Phase 2...so if an instructor can only teach to Phase 1...you're kind of SOL.

The best bet is to find a good Boxing/Kickboxing gym or a Jiu-Jitsu/Judo place with a Krav Maga program. Since the instructor is coming from a "Contact System" base...as opposed to, say, Aikido...you're far more likely to find a higher level of training.

Also, a quick and easy way to check authenticity is to email the people at www.kravmaga.com and ask for "Instructor Verification" and "Instructor Level" when inquiring about a potential Krav Maga instructor. Krav Maga International keeps extensive records...and even a slight mishap will get an instructor booted.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 4:49pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you explain what the different phases mean and how much someone has to study for each phase?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a KM instructor and I mostly agree with Satori. I would ask how long they have been doing Krav in total, are they a Certified Instructor or Instructor Trainee, and when can you start sparring or join their "fight class". There is no set time on when you can begin to spar in Krav. However, an instructor has to have passed the first three phases (A, B, & C) to be considered fully certified. They can then move on into the "Expert Series" which is blue, brown, and black. Black is by invitation only from the National Training Center in Los Angeles.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 5:08pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Is everyone allowed to teach either a certified instructor or instructor trainee? What is the practical differences.

2) What happens in the A, then B, the C phase? How much instruction time is required per phase?

3) What are the belts below blue, brown, and black?

My apologies for asking so many questions but when you have to write up something you need lots o' details.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 5:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav Maga standards vary

I've just read what was written, and I wanted to ask a
    question. Based on the information you guys have provided
    about Krav Maga, I guess that you're of Darren Levine's line of
    Krav Maga.

I don't have any discrepenacy with what you've said, but don't
    the requirments for instructors vary depending on who's line of
    Krav Maga you're practicing?

Eyal Yanilov and Moni Aizik, for example, both teach Krav
    Maga and both are independant of Darren Levine. There are several other
    notable teachers besides them as well.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 5:18pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going with Darren Levine's line because I was working under the assumption that the vast majority of Krav instructors in the USA are affiliated with his organization. How large are Yanilov and Aizik's organizations.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 5:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just learning the basics myself, but as near as I can tell, your assumption is right. However, Mr. Yanilov and Mr. Aizik both have a significant following in the US, and a few of the other better-known Krav teachers like Haim Gidon have some American presence as well.

It seems like there is a political war going on in the upper echelons of Krav Maga that began when the founder Imi Lichtenfeld passed away. Apparently, Darren Levine, Eyal Yanilov and Haim Gidon all claim to be the inheritors of the "Grandmaster's Throne." :P

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 6:28pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So under Levine, would you want someone to be at least a blue belt, and a phase four? I'm looking for some sort of guideline we could suggest. By way of comparison, in traditional karate you would want the person to be at least a first degree black belt, and preferably a second dan. In BJJ, a purple, and in Judo, a brown but preferrably a black 1st dan.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 6:40pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So using the Levine system, if one were a phase three, would that indicate a range of the belt colors one could be? for example

phase one
    yellow

phase two
    orange

phase three
    green

phase four
    blue

etc?

I'm still trying to understand this system.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast