Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 10:53am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DO NOT PULL GUARD.

Deliberately entering newaza without a throw attempt is a penalty. Or worse the ref could call it an ippon throw for the other guy.

And be agressive. They hate slow play in judo.

And grip-fight. Don't let the other guy have his favorite grip. It will end badly for you.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 11:50am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if you try to jump guard the other guy only has to touch your shoulders to the mat to get ippon. Judo judges love to see that done to BJJ guys.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 12:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Remember: You can win by pinning, hence if you have your opponent where you want him, it is not as essential to transition to a more dominant position ASAP. Indeed, having mount is not considered a pin. (At least it wasn't where I studied judo)
    Your body up or your body flat mount? Both are definitely pins but a ref might not cal the first because he might see it as not "looking" like a pin. Don't ask me. But my instructor won several matches using a flat mount.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the body upright mount.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 1:48pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Tourneys I've been to a lot of our guys are also from BJJ (I'm not) and they try for armbars and the like, remember, you can only do that when you're both at Brown Belt level or above or if you are fighting a Brown Belt and he agrees to letting you both do them. Choke away tho'
    I remember this because in my orange belt tourney level fight and one of our BJJ guys was againt me and he got an okay sankakyu and switched to armbar and got us stood up and he got penalized (he could have had me with the sankakyu tho' and we both knew it)

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 2:03pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My judo instructor told me no armbars until brown belt, but I was recently told that that is only under 17 years old in the USJA. So I guess it depends what assocation you are competing under.

Armbars are my bread and butter though, so I would be ticked if I couldn't use them.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 2:23pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously? Because I = USJA too.... I hope my local isn't being an asshole about the rules set

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 2:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's definitely an age thing. Referees might have individual bias against triangles/recognising an armbar from guard if it takes time etc, but armbars in general are absolutely fine, it's just the age that might vary.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a while, but if when I competed ou could armabar at any level if both players were over 17.

Individual tournaments can actually set their own protocols for this and still be sanctioned. They used to play that sort of thing pretty loose.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 9:26pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would play judo since you've got some time in for your BJJ experience- get what you can out of it. Chances are, the groundwork of the yellow/orange belts is going to be godawfull and atrocious, so dont mess around with the ground work. You're doing a Judo tournament with hopes of improving your judo right? So then play the standup game and try to ippon your opponents rather than using lazy doubles and singles to work your ego so you can submit a few guys.

Work your standup in this competition so that you may improve it for a BJJ competition when you might need it. This is one sided advice though- Im a BJJ guy who could give less than a **** about Judo tournaments or how I place, which is why Im more inclined to play the standup game so that I can work on my takedowns. If you're in the same boat, I'd suggest this, if not, then just play to your ground game.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast