Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 3:57am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ player entering a Judo comp. Tips?

I've been training BJJ for 1.5 years and judo for just about one full year now and I'm entering this regional Judo competition in the yellow-orange belt division. The reason for doing this is to get some more competition experience and testing standing techniques under heavier pressure. Besides:
    1. Judo competitions are near, frequent and cheap.
    2. BJJ comps are often far away, not very frequent and expensive.
    So far I've competed twice in BJJ, so I know what to expect when it comes to nerves and adrenaline in competition. However since BJJ has been my primary focus I've always trained Judo with a "BJJ mindset" when it comes to positioning and such. My Judo instructor has no experience with BJJ (Re: Backmount. "What? They give you points for that?") so asking him about crossing over seems pretty useless.

I'm not looking to "out" Judo like that "BJJ lurker in Judo comp."-video. I am at least going to try and throw my opponents.
    I have gone over the rules (That took a while..) but I'm asking if any of you who have competed in both sports have any info that I might have missed or tips in general.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not looking to "out" Judo like that "BJJ lurker in Judo comp."-video.
    I...don't follow.

My brain will be stuck and vibrating until you explain why not.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 7:21am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two things I've found helped me a lot after taking some time off judo to do bjj.

1) Dont play in guard. Sweep, submit, or get ready to stand up.
    2) Make sure you hook a leg or properly break down your opponent when you armbar or traingle so he can't stand back up. Standing up can break the ground game and you will have to throw again.
    3) Work your two favorite throws, stick with what you know. There is no reason to try new stuff. Just work your two favorite throws and you will do fine.
    4) Never stop fighting until you hear the ref tell you too. If the ref hasnt' said anything, even if the guy is turning his back and walking away, he is still fair game. I've seen a lot of low belt guys just try to walk back after a failed throw instead of persuing the ground, take advantage of their weakness.
    5) Watch the face contact. I'm sure you like to crossface, but it's illegal. So make sure you are not facing the refs when you do it.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 8:07am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I...don't follow.

My brain will be stuck and vibrating until you explain why not.
    :happy7:
    It seemed to me as if that video was made with plenty of "judo sux" in mind.

What? No crossfacing whatsoever? I completely missed that. What about pressing with the forearm against the neck to create space? (I'm not 100% about what crossfacing means)

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 8:27am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    :happy7:
    It seemed to me as if that video was made with plenty of "judo sux" in mind.

What? No crossfacing whatsoever? I completely missed that. What about pressing with the forearm against the neck to create space? (I'm not 100% about what crossfacing means)
    Neck is fine. However, under prohibited acts in the 2003 IJF judo rules we have:

17) To put a hand, arm, foot or leg directly in the opponent's face.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 8:55am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been called for using my leg while working an armbar, but I have been caught numerious times for driving my forarm arcross a guys face to make space for an armbar.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I've never been called for using my leg while working an armbar, but I have been caught numerious times for driving my forarm arcross a guys face to make space for an armbar.
    What are you meant to do instead?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will advise you to accelerate your pace once you enter newaza. Go for subs/sweeps quickly.

Standing posture is important to avoid looking defensive, stand up with a straight back and bend your knees. This position will help avoid the crappy double legs by being good for a strong sprawl 'cause newbies that don't know Judo will throw lame pick ups at you all day.

If you want to get a good throw, as you go to grip, go for it. Judo is about crushing your opponent with aggression and precise technique.

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember: You can win by pinning, hence if you have your opponent where you want him, it is not as essential to transition to a more dominant position ASAP. Indeed, having mount is not considered a pin. (At least it wasn't where I studied judo)

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attack standing. Attack, attack, attack. I have done both sports. Judo is much faster paced and you WILL be penalized for non-combativity if you use the standard BJJ methodical mentality.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast