Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:01am

Style: Youn Wha Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Tai Chi is not a martial art for most people. Thats why I used the kickboxing example. You can teach people the techniques in kickboxing and they may love it. It may be a great workout and relieve stress. It is not fighting though and then no longer a martial art. Tai Chi is the same. If you practice Tai Chi but do not fight with it, it is not a martial art.

Martial = War. Anything else is not martial. It is fun, healthy and other things, but when you do not know how to fight, its not a martial art.
    Here's a definition

Martial arts, also known as fighting systems, are bodies of codified practices or traditions of training for unarmed and armed combat, usually without the use of guns and other modern weapons.
    People study martial arts for various reasons including fitness, self-cultivation (meditation), mental/character development, and self-defense.

So my interpretation is that someone can study a martial art - even combative
    martial arts - to improve mental development.

I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. I am saying different people define martial arts differently.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:05am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and thats all fine and dandy. Noone denies people from playing pickup basketball games for fun and to stay in shape. But to say you are a serious basketball player, who trains with the intent to win, but doesnt actually do anything except play streetball, your not a real player. You do it for fun. Not because you are a pro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:08am

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study martial arts for more reasons than self-defence. But I would never claim my system as a martial art if there wasn't fighting. Hell, fencing is more of a martial art than tai chi usually is.

So....how much are the belt tests? Do they come with fries?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    You should examine my quoting of you earlier when I first asked the questions.

Why are you evading my questions? I'm now REALLY interested to know if you charge for belt tests.

"You can swing a bat and not understand why you hit the ball over the fence."

Wouldn't you be demonstrating a catastrophic lack of intelligence? Yes, you can swing the bat and not understand, but you'd likely be labled someone of reduced mental capacity (or some other politcally correct euphamism for retard) for not connecting the two events. What an odd quotation. Is that improvised or is it something you heard from your teacher? Are you suggesting that it is acceptable for a student to know how to punch the air, but not understand why it would work on a real person?
    Not evading your posts - understand there are about 5 replies everytime I make one.

I do not get any money for testing...Our division does. You do have to pay for testing...but I don't see any of the testing money.

What I am saying is someone can put a bat in your hands - you never knowing how to hit a ball but see someone swing - and hit the ball over the fence and not understand how you hit the ball OVER THE FENCE - never hitting a ball before....I am not saying you don't understand how you hit the ball.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:12am

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    You do have to pay for testing...but I don't see any of the testing money.
    Win.

Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    What I am saying is someone can put a bat in your hands - you never knowing how to hit a ball but see someone swing - and hit the ball over the fence and not understand how you hit the ball OVER THE FENCE - never hitting a ball before....I am not saying you don't understand how you hit the ball.
    Wo bu mingbai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and thats all fine and dandy. Noone denies people from playing pickup basketball games for fun and to stay in shape. But to say you are a serious basketball player, who trains with the intent to win, but doesnt actually do anything except play streetball, your not a real player. You do it for fun. Not because you are a pro.
    Not arguing with you there...

It's all in what you use it for....but some people will say Monks train
    to fight - but never fight....so if you took Karate all your life and never
    used it does that mean you didn't do a martial art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    OK. Let's make this easy.

You've trained in this system for 8 years. I'll assume that you have a black belt of some sort or another by now. If I go to the trouble to find a BJJ white belt of your height and weight, with less than one year of experience somewhere in the Little Rock area, would you be willing to demonstrate your fighting ability on him in front of a camera for us?

If he thoroughly trounces you, would you consider the possibility that what you're learning might not be effective?
    I never said I trained in this system for 8 years - I have trained in three styles for a total of eight years.

Hard question to ask because I don't like to fight - I do it...its apart of my training...I have won state competitions...but I don't take martial arts to fight people...but I do fight people when I take martial arts....and the loop continues...

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:16am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have NEVER fought, you are not a fighter. You can practice basketball all you want. Until you play a game, you arent a player.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    Win.

Wo bu mingbai.
    Win what? Do I get a tonka truck?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have NEVER fought, you are not a fighter. You can practice basketball all you want. Until you play a game, you arent a player.
    Do you have to play in the NBA to be considered a basketball player
    or can you play street ball and be a basketball player.

I bet if you went down to your local basketball court and asked everyone there
    if they are a basketball player - even if they don't do it for money - I bet they
    all raise their hands.

You don't fight - your not a fighter - I agree...
    You don't fight - your not a martial artist - I don't agree...
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 12345 67891555 ... LastLast