Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:42am

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I repeat:

Why learn techniques you have admitted you can't apply? Why would students perform techniques but not understand them? Why have so many "beginner" ranks? Do you charge for belt tests? Why does your judo partner have to be skilled?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:42am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what I thought you would say and I have no problem with videos used for demo and the like.

But we are all skeptics here. We were molested as children by the martial arts. You should make a vid of your classes for the adults or of you and you buddies training. Thats what we like to see, because its hard to beleive anything on the net. We dont need to see you killing eachother (its welcomed though). We just want to see your normal training and abilities. Thats why your adult class would be a good thing to see. You may know how to fight, do your students?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:43am

Style: Youn Wha Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    To fight. Anything else is not a martial art.

Why do you kickbox? To fight. If not and you do it just for the workout, its cardio-kickboxing.
    That is not true -

(IMO) To be a martial artist is to better oneself one day at a time.

You learn kickboxing because you want to fight -

What about Tai Chi - it's an internal martial art and does not require fighting...but many do not kow it has fighting/self defense techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    I repeat:

Why learn techniques you have admitted you can't apply? Why would students perform techniques but not understand them? Why have so many "beginner" ranks? Do you charge for belt tests? Why does your judo partner have to be skilled?
    When did I say that I can or cannot "apply" a technique. I said understand...

You can swing a bat and not understand why you hit the ball over the fence.
    I prove that everyday when I tell someone to teach a new student their first form.
    That person teaching learned by imitation - but is too new to understand the motions (or applications of that motion) - THUS the importance of teaching.
    Teaching helps you to understand and apply the technique - not just mimic it.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:47am

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi is not a martial art for most people. Thats why I used the kickboxing example. You can teach people the techniques in kickboxing and they may love it. It may be a great workout and relieve stress. It is not fighting though and then no longer a martial art. Tai Chi is the same. If you practice Tai Chi but do not fight with it, it is not a martial art.

Martial = War. Anything else is not martial. It is fun, healthy and other things, but when you do not know how to fight, its not a martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Tai Chi is not a martial art for most people. Thats why I used the kickboxing example. You can teach people the techniques in kickboxing and they may love it. It may be a great workout and relieve stress. It is not fighting though and then no longer a martial art. Tai Chi is the same. If you practice Tai Chi but do not fight with it, it is not a martial art.

Martial = War. Anything else is not martial. It is fun, healthy and other things, but when you do not know how to fight, its not a martial art.
    What do you think Shaolin Kung Fu is?

Do you not believe in internal and external martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should examine my quoting of you earlier when I first asked the questions.

Why are you evading my questions? I'm now REALLY interested to know if you charge for belt tests.

"You can swing a bat and not understand why you hit the ball over the fence."

Wouldn't you be demonstrating a catastrophic lack of intelligence? Yes, you can swing the bat and not understand, but you'd likely be labled someone of reduced mental capacity (or some other politcally correct euphamism for retard) for not connecting the two events. What an odd quotation. Is that improvised or is it something you heard from your teacher? Are you suggesting that it is acceptable for a student to know how to punch the air, but not understand why it would work on a real person?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    That is not true -

(IMO) To be a martial artist is to better oneself one day at a time.

You learn kickboxing because you want to fight -

What about Tai Chi - it's an internal martial art and does not require fighting...but many do not kow it has fighting/self defense techniques.
    OK. Let's make this easy.

You've trained in this system for 8 years. I'll assume that you have a black belt of some sort or another by now. If I go to the trouble to find a BJJ white belt of your height and weight, with less than one year of experience somewhere in the Little Rock area, would you be willing to demonstrate your fighting ability on him in front of a camera for us?

If he thoroughly trounces you, would you consider the possibility that what you're learning might not be effective?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can fight with it, it is a martial art. Yoga is not a martial art, it is not used for fighting.

Most of what poeple beleive a martial art is, is actually moving meditation, like Yoga or Tai Chi. Unless their is an aspect of it that heavily focuses on fighting, its not a martial art.

Martial=War.

If you do it with other goals, thats ok. Just dont call it a martial art or say you can fight, when thats not your goal or purpose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    What do you think Shaolin Kung Fu is?

Do you not believe in internal and external martial arts?
    Ooooooooh boy!!!

Our friend is saying that if you don't fight, it isn't a martial art. Tai Chi can be a martial art, but usually isn't. As a practitioner of so-called "shaolin kung fu"--at least one of the bazillion of styles under the catagory of "kung fu"--I can say...that that was totally off topic and unrelated to the post, your desire to prove you are not a mcdojo, or belief in internal/external principles of CMA philosophy.
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast