222308 Bullies, 3519 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 584
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. YounWha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:18am


     Style: Youn Wha Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    What about finding a partner and practising them? I would think that this is more valuable than attending seminars.



    You seem to promote your students very quickly. This would normally cause me to doubt the level of mastery of your students in those techniques. There is a similiar disease in CMA forms, where students learn many forms but are essentially dancing. Can you honestly say that your brown-belt students are able to apply and understand all their techiques without hesition or mistake?
    Good questions - and something I need to clarify. At about 2 years of training - around brown belt - is where to start to understand techniques. As I mentioned
    earlier that the colored belts are just preparation training. GMH says that your true training - your true understanding STARTS at black belt. That is when all the basics you almost are comfortable with will start to be understood. This is not like TKD where when you get to black belt you learn and know everything.

    Since we are trying to learn so much there is no possible way to say we can apply all these techniques effectively.

    Yes- you can say that going through the colored belts seem fast - getting to black belt takes close to three years - but no one is saying once my students are black belts they have grasped everything they were thrown at them.


    as to the first comment - it is hard to worked with a skilled partner so the only time I can is when I am around my instructor and he is not doing other teaching.
    And you have got a point - you have to train to become good - and I have not trained enough to be solid in my techniques - which I will say openly. But I do try my best when I can.
  2. Steve is offline
    Steve's Avatar

    The gift that keeps on giving

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,205

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:21am

    supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    We are not trying to become masters of all martial arts - we are learning
    to better ourselves in life.

    I was once told that you could tell someone was a martial artist by not what
    they could do with their hands and feet, but what they can do with their mind
    and heart.
    By a psychic?

    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    Youn Wha training - to learn You Wha - you must grasp the knowledge of these other styles- which my guess will take until I am about 70 years old.
    And then you'll do what with them?
  3. GIJoe6186 is offline
    GIJoe6186's Avatar

    An American Hero!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,974

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:27am

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it takes 3 years to start to understand the basics and be comfortable with them? As long as you feel they can fight someone after that amount of time and win, then ok.

    Heres my honest, un-trolled, opinion of this place. I watched all six videos on the site. I saw 1 sparring video (grappling/striking) that seemed ok. They were going at it just like any BJJ school. The other videos showed me jump kicking, compliant partner drills and most notably odd to me, the escrima videos. The stick practice was very light (maybe just drilling) but there was no footwork involved at all. They were just tapping the sticks without moving their bodies. From what I remember about hitting with a stick, its just like a punch. You dont stand straight up and just jab, same with the stick.

    Anyway from all of this, it seems that the top guys who are adults, spar with eachother in grappling and striking. It seems however that most of the people do partner drills, forms/self defense technique. Is this accurate?
  4. sdave is offline
    sdave's Avatar

    Banished to Fort Worth

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:28am

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    This really should be moved out of newbietown, posts like this belong in an open forum.
    Seconded.

    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    I was once told that you could tell someone was a martial artist by not what
    they could do with their hands and feet, but what they can do with their mind
    and heart.
    I was once told that ice cream makes machines work better, especially computers, spoon it right in. That turned out to be untrue.

    You won't get much milage with the "mind and heart" rhetoric here. What you WILL get, even in newbietown is several posters pointing out that "martial" refers explicitly to an inclination or disposition to, a suitability for, or association with WAR. Martial arts are about fighting (and ostensibly, killing) NOT philosophy.

    I'll be perfectly honest. The videos you've posted don't reflect well on the actual utility of this style. Only ONE seems to display any real work with a resisting opponent, and it is simply NOT a demonstration of good grappling.

    I would like to see more clips of sparring and grappling as they become available, and it's likely that others here would as well. However, video of chucks, sticks and self-defense combos are almost certainly not going to be well received here.
    Last edited by sdave; 9/10/2006 1:30am at .
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.
  5. GIJoe6186 is offline
    GIJoe6186's Avatar

    An American Hero!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,974

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:29am

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, about grasping other styles, it shouldnt take long. After a few months of training in BJJ or boxing or something similar, where the focus is sparring, you grasp the concept quick.

    Position---->Submission----->End.

    It takes a long time to get to BB but not to have a basic understanding of the system and to use it.
  6. YounWha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:30am


     Style: Youn Wha Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    By a psychic?



    And then you'll do what with them?

    I like the small phrase comments...


    Ok - let's get into a psychological debate about martial arts...

    The first question is "why do you do martial arts?"
  7. Simonthesong is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hongcouver
    Posts
    61

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:30am


     Style: Hung Gar Kuen

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    Good questions - and something I need to clarify. At about 2 years of training - around brown belt - is where to start to understand techniques.
    As opposed to performing them without understanding them?

    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    Since we are trying to learn so much there is no possible way to say we can apply all these techniques effectively.
    Then where is the "martial" aspect of your martial art?

    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    Yes- you can say that going through the colored belts seem fast - getting to black belt takes close to three years - but no one is saying once my students are black belts they have grasped everything they were thrown at them.
    Why have so many ranks if all ranks up to black are blazed through, and are seen as beginners? Just out of curiosity, do you charge for belt tests?


    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    as to the first comment - it is hard to worked with a skilled partner so the only time I can is when I am around my instructor and he is not doing other teaching.
    Wouldn't finding anyone and throwing them, maybe adding the request, "please resist", be adequate for judo practise? Or do you need constant reminders and reinforcement?
  8. GIJoe6186 is offline
    GIJoe6186's Avatar

    An American Hero!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,974

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:31am

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To fight. Anything else is not a martial art.

    Why do you kickbox? To fight. If not and you do it just for the workout, its cardio-kickboxing.
  9. GIJoe6186 is offline
    GIJoe6186's Avatar

    An American Hero!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,974

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:33am

    Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont care about the belt structure or anything like that. Ability is what matters and claims on that ability.

    Make a BB take 6 months. I dont care. Can you fight?

    We shouldnt play games and pick apart belt structure and lineage, we want to know if they produce well rounded or at least good fighters in their chosen area(stand-up/clinch/ground)
  10. YounWha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319

    Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:39am


     Style: Youn Wha Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    So it takes 3 years to start to understand the basics and be comfortable with them? As long as you feel they can fight someone after that amount of time and win, then ok.

    Heres my honest, un-trolled, opinion of this place. I watched all six videos on the site. I saw 1 sparring video (grappling/striking) that seemed ok. They were going at it just like any BJJ school. The other videos showed me jump kicking, compliant partner drills and most notably odd to me, the escrima videos. The stick practice was very light (maybe just drilling) but there was no footwork involved at all. They were just tapping the sticks without moving their bodies. From what I remember about hitting with a stick, its just like a punch. You dont stand straight up and just jab, same with the stick.

    Anyway from all of this, it seems that the top guys who are adults, spar with eachother in grappling and striking. It seems however that most of the people do partner drills, forms/self defense technique. Is this accurate?


    Ok ok -

    Listen guys - most of the videos made were for our students and parents.
    These videos were NOT made to demonstrate our martial art to other martial artists outside of our system. Please understand that...
    If I knew I was oging to get hammered about the videos I would have gotten
    better videos just for you guys. So just remember these little videos are not here to show you the Youn Wha System. Most of these videos were made spontaneously - as to the escrima stick drill video - you are correct...it does involve more movement and striking but the guy there are only starting to grasp the idea.


    Most of the videos that you are talking about is what we do at demonstrations before testing. They are a broad array of martial art styles demonstrated at testing.
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.