Not as in once - never again

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, OK. So your art teaches all the effective techniques of all other systems. And your art asserts that the effective techniques of all other systems consist of katas and forms from karate and kung fu styles?

Just making sure I have that straight.

Any particular reason you don't start with Judo, since you say that's a component of your art as well? I would think that would make a much better "base martial art" than TKD. Do your students and instructors compete against other judoka?

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    once- as one point in time

Not as in once - never again
    Nah he meant, it only happened once in your life? With me, I get the wind cracked out of me at some point usually once every few weeks, I get mat burn EVERY time :P and I get seriously jarred and/or KOed because my striking sucks usually every time we do sparring above medium contact.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:34am

Style: Hayabusa Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=YounWha]

Now - you say "in real life someone is going to punch me in the face so what's the point". Answer - that is where our self defense comes in. All of our self defense that involves our opponent punching it is to the face.
    quote]

How exactly do you go about this "self defense training"? No offense but it sounds a lot like TKD one steps so far. And those don't work.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:36am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if the instructors aren't teaching for money, then it definitely is not a McDojang.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:43am

Style: Youn Wha Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Hmm, OK. So your art teaches all the effective techniques of all other systems. And your art asserts that the effective techniques of all other systems consist of katas and forms from karate and kung fu styles?

Just making sure I have that straight.

Any particular reason you don't start with Judo, since you say that's a component of your art as well? I would think that would make a much better "base martial art" than TKD. Do your students and instructors compete against other judoka?
    You have to ask Grandmaster Han that one...not sure.
    Grandmaster Han has started teaching more grappling in the past year.
    I can only say that if someone wants to go to a judo tournament - and hopefully is good enough not to get too beat up - can go to a judo tournament.

I have been to 3 judo seminars taught by the highest ranking Master in our system and I still feel very uncomfortable with my judo techniques.

The only problem with learning so many styles - little bits at a time - it takes soo much longer to get a grasp on the techniques and master them.
    I took the judo course's because I feel that is a weak point for me and something I need to work on.

We don't start learning other martial arts form until a little after the second year of training - around brown belt.
    Our first non taekwondo form we learn is Chulge Form 1 - then Chulge Form 2 - Okinawan Karate forms.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why, oh why, do you need to learn ALL martial arts?

To many cooks spoil the soup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Crazyman]

Now - you say "in real life someone is going to punch me in the face so what's the point". Answer - that is where our self defense comes in. All of our self defense that involves our opponent punching it is to the face.
    quote]

How exactly do you go about this "self defense training"? No offense but it sounds a lot like TKD one steps so far. And those don't work.
    Well its a fairly simple answer - we use techniques in a numbering system
    to remember the technique- and I read that it takes about 3000 times for a motion to become instinctive. So we train that way to help remember.

Now take it to a more simple form - someone grabs your arm - if its straight put it in a certain lock - if its bent put it in another type of lock. If you can sweep then sweep them on the floor.

Don't see the self defense as the numbers we do them so that we can remember the technique - see them as we do - as a possible solution when a certain attack comes at you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Why, oh why, do you need to learn ALL martial arts?

To many cooks spoil the soup.
    We are not trying to become masters of all martial arts - we are learning
    to better ourselves in life.

I was once told that you could tell someone was a martial artist by not what
    they could do with their hands and feet, but what they can do with their mind
    and heart.

Youn Wha training - to learn You Wha - you must grasp the knowledge of these other styles- which my guess will take until I am about 70 years old.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 1:08am

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to 3 judo seminars taught by the highest ranking Master in our system and I still feel very uncomfortable with my judo techniques.
    What about finding a partner and practising them? I would think that this is more valuable than attending seminars.

We don't start learning other martial arts form until a little after the second year of training - around brown belt.
    You seem to promote your students very quickly. This would normally cause me to doubt the level of mastery of your students in those techniques. There is a similiar disease in CMA forms, where students learn many forms but are essentially dancing. Can you honestly say that your brown-belt students are able to apply and understand all their techiques without hesition or mistake?
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast