Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:00pm

Style: Youn Wha Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Youn Wha Ryu - No Bullshido

To all -

I just wanted to say hi to all here and hope you welcome me with open ears.
    I have been reading a lot about McDojo's online and found this site. I tried searching "Youn Wha" wondering what I would find. To my surprise I found a post basically stating it was a McDojo and was bad mouthing the martial arts
    instructor that I personally know. Thus I had to register here and defend his honor. Our martial art system is not a "McDojo". I have trained in three styles
    of martial arts for over 8 years and became and instructor of this organization
    2 years after I joined. Our instructors do not teach this martial art to pay the bills.
    All of our instructors have jobs (mostly full time) and only teach because they want to pass the knowledge that was given to them by Grandmaster Han and
    our Masters. We don't have contracts, we don't get commisions, we don't get promoted because we have X amount of students, and there are no hidden costs.

If anyone has questions about this martial art- or need videos - I have them.

Thanks for letting me rant !

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    To all -

I just wanted to say hi to all here and hope you welcome me with open ears.
    I have been reading a lot about McDojo's online and found this site. I tried searching "Youn Wha" wondering what I would find. To my surprise I found a post basically stating it was a McDojo and was bad mouthing the martial arts
    instructor that I personally know. Thus I had to register here and defend his honor. Our martial art system is not a "McDojo". I have trained in three styles
    of martial arts for over 8 years and became and instructor of this organization
    2 years after I joined. Our instructors do not teach this martial art to pay the bills.
    All of our instructors have jobs (mostly full time) and only teach because they want to pass the knowledge that was given to them by Grandmaster Han and
    our Masters. We don't have contracts, we don't get commisions, we don't get promoted because we have X amount of students, and there are no hidden costs.

If anyone has questions about this martial art- or need videos - I have them.

Thanks for letting me rant !
    :Sigh: Ok post videos.

Do you spar? how,rules? how often? against other styles?

Youn Wha Ryu isn't a Ko Ryu or an art I heard of before. A bit of history please?

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need videos.

Talk to Omega.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok -

I made this web site - go to the videos section.
    www.younwha-ar.com

This system is basically a "heinz 57" martial art. Everything stated about
    Grandmaster Han's belts are true. He even helped train American troops
    self defense in the late 70's I believe.

I will try to write this in a nut shell.
    The beginning of training is Tae Kwon Do - This is a good martial art
    style for people that have never learned any style of martial art - Basically
    a foundation martial art.

Further down we teach Judo techniques - throwing, falling, and Randore (judo wrestling).

We have a self defense system that mainly encompasses Hapkido - joint lock techniques - judo, Tai Chi self defense as well.
    **If you watch the self defense video of the two high ranking instructors going back and forth - that is our self defense. We number them to help us remember and teach them**

We train is various techniques in our colored belt time(White to Brown). This time up to black belt
    is preparation training as GrandMaster Han has stated. Once you reach black belt your true training begins. You start learning Karate forms, Shaolin Kung Fu forms, Su Kwon(punching drills) Yun Gong(fighting/counter attack drills), and Tai Chi.

Saying all that - Youn Wha theoretically takes all the effective techniques of most major styles of martial arts and combines them.

If you go to www.younwha.com you can read the "Legend of Youn Wha" which is a pretty cool story.

Oh to answer some of your answers -

Yes - We Spar - tradition taekwondo gear with chest protector
    Tournaments - We spar with gear full contact except no punches to face - 2 one minute rounds - total points counted at the end of both rounds - NO POINT SPARRING

Testings - Full gear - colored belts spar one minute starting at yellow belt

No weapons or board breaking required for testing but can compete at tournaments

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first, thank you for the explanation.

second... sparring, with gear, and a no face punching restriction? what exactly is the gear for, then?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    first, thank you for the explanation.

second... sparring, with gear, and a no face punching restriction? what exactly is the gear for, then?
    You can kick to the back and side of the head.
    I am kinda on the fence when talking about gear and sparring
    but this is what I believe.

Part of martial arts is about control - part is about not hurting your partner
    or you won't be able to train with anyone cause you hurt them all the time.

Also - you can still kick hard enough - even wearing gear to break ribs - and I have seen it happen - so actually the gear is not really much protection for
    a full blown roundhouse to the kidneys. I have gotten a back kick wearing a chest protector and found myself on the floor fighting for air once.

Now - you say "in real life someone is going to punch me in the face so what's the point". Answer - that is where our self defense comes in. All of our self defense that involves our opponent punching it is to the face.

I believe sparring helps with certain counter attacks by certain attackers. Then I believe our self defense helps with an attacker that is a bak alley brawler.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:59pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This really should be moved out of newbietown, posts like this belong in an open forum.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    Thanks !

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 12:20am

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by YounWha
    I have gotten a back kick wearing a chest protector and found myself on the floor fighting for air once.
    Only once?
Page 1 of 59 1 23451151 ... LastLast