--J.D.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black Moirah, what got ya, was it the limey thing or the Joe lewis thing, its just like shootin fish in a barrel.
    Kempo Fist that version of history was put about by the hawains who "missed the boat" and tatum missed the point.
    TB
    JKD

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:13am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom Bone, can you help me understand exactly what your point is? I get so confused in Ke?po posts.... who are the good guys again?

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:16am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Tom Bone, can you help me understand exactly what your point is? I get so confused in Ke?po posts.... who are the good guys again?

I get confused reading Tom bone posts.
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 9:14am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    What the hell are we arguing about here? Ed Parker was originally a student of Chow. I'm not sure what rank he got, but from interviews I've read he was more of a student of Emperado before Emperado left to found Kajukenbo. Larry Tatum was a top student of Parker in the American Kenpo system, and is now one of the leading authorities of the system.

Ke?po guys of all lineages and systems have been well known to engage in either self promotion, or the lesser evil of skipping ranks by making nice nice with higher dans of other systems. For example when Professor Cerio passed away, alot of Kempo guys who claimed lineage to him (that used to claim lineage to Villari till they thumbed their nose at his tactics) were forced to seek out a new authority so that they retained some form of legitimacy. Original Kaju guys such as Godin, Gascon and even Emperado himself were some of the top guys sought out to join association with, with other's such as Kimo were second string so to speak on the who to seek for rank. Others sought out the Shaolin Temple of all places to claim lineage to.

Unfortunately all in all though, skipping rank (such as 4th to 7th 8th) in Kempo is all too common, and really speaks volumes in itself as to the worth of rank in most Kempo orgs nowadays. I mean if your instructor is just buying rank and ass kissing to stay ahead of his students, then what does it matter anymore?

Well said!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bone
    Black Moirah, what got ya, was it the limey thing or the Joe lewis thing, its just like shootin fish in a barrel.
    Kempo Fist that version of history was put about by the hawains who "missed the boat" and tatum missed the point.
    TB
    JKD
    You are saying I'm a victim of Hawaiian revisionism? Could you point out anything specific you'd like to refute?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 4:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kempo Fist, "Missing the Boat"was a metaphor, which is open to interpretation according to the version of events you embrace (I would not call what we are discussing History more hearsay), every thing that you or I mention in our post open to question, as it should be.
    Larry is a leading authority on his dilluted "style" of Kenpo (LTK) thats all, the Kem/npo"system" from which he derives it is Ed Parkers period.
    I use the word Dilluted because Larry left half way through the development of the System and never completed the jig-saw?
    As Kenpo has developed over the last 20 years its easy to see that Larry and his students are caught in a 80s time warp because the way they practice is limited, where as those who have not set themselves up in the belt production buisiness have evolved and moved on, this has nuthin and everything to do with the Larry Tatum and students "Mullet" tendancies.

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 5:40am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fear the mullet!
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bone
    Kempo Fist, "Missing the Boat"was a metaphor, which is open to interpretation according to the version of events you embrace (I would not call what we are discussing History more hearsay), every thing that you or I mention in our post open to question, as it should be.
    Larry is a leading authority on his dilluted "style" of Kenpo (LTK) thats all, the Kem/npo"system" from which he derives it is Ed Parkers period.
    I use the word Dilluted because Larry left half way through the development of the System and never completed the jig-saw?
    heh....you used the jigsaw puzzle analogy to describe Kempo....you owe me 10 cents.

As Kenpo has developed over the last 20 years its easy to see that Larry and his students are caught in a 80s time warp because the way they practice is limited, where as those who have not set themselves up in the belt production buisiness have evolved and moved on, this has nuthin and everything to do with the Larry Tatum and students "Mullet" tendancies.
    How is the way Larry trains any different or worse than other American Kenpo schools, or hell any other Ke?po school in general? From what I've seen it all looks the same, just different packaging.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is the way Larry trains any different or worse than other American Kenpo schools, or hell any other Ke?po school in general? From what I've seen it all looks the same, just different packaging.

Well it does not look anything look Mike Picks kenpo, thats the guy who threw Larry out of the school, it soes not look anything like Paul Mills or Dennis Connasters Kenpo those guys have moved on.
    but if you compare Larry T kenpo to Huks Kenpo then you can see that it is Larry who is more advanced, this goes for comparing Huks to the Tracy,s as well it is Huk who had moved on.
    Kenpo from 1960 until now has changed hugely the package may look the same but the product has improved with every decade.Larry is just stuck in the 80s thats all, Huk is stuck in the 70s, Tracy in the 60s cabeesh!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast