Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 5:27pm

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we're point sparring light contact in TKD we use instep cause it gives more reach than using shin in a roundhouse. If we're sparring properly we never use them, cause they aren't made for hitting things with. Well noobs give 'em a try sometimes, but block 'em properly and they quick learn not to. And when we do the shitty "self defence" stuff we sometimes kick to the groin with instep. In hard sparring we use turning kicks with the ball of the foot over roundhouse kicks, because in my style (ITF) of TKD there is no roundhouse and it doesn't get practiced much. I have seen instep kicks to thighs been done, and they don't look too effective, but I've never tasted one so what would I know?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik_Stu
    I have seen instep kicks to thighs been done, and they don't look too effective, but I've never tasted one so what would I know?
    Bas Rutten dropped a guy with one in his last fight, so they certainly work. He also broke his foot.

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps not relevant to a discussion of shin versus instep but in savate, we use shoes. So the equivalent kick to the roundhouse (the fouetté) is delivered with the toe of the shoe. Savate shoes usually have hard toes, so that really hurts.

Thrust or stamping type kicks land with the heel of the shoe.

In savate competition landing with the shin is illegal.

There's a real increase in range landing with the toe. And if the shoes are fairly hard, that can make up for the relatively small striking area (compared to the shin).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 5:14pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hurt my instep kicking the heavy bag last week.
    Hobbled about a bit, reminding myself to aim with the toe of my shoe and be happy if the shin hits instead.
    Mind you, looking at some fight-ending kicks to the head in MMA vids the instep really does some damage! Looks painful to the foot though...

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster
    I hurt my instep kicking the heavy bag last week.
    Hobbled about a bit, reminding myself to aim with the toe of my shoe and be happy if the shin hits instead.
    Mind you, looking at some fight-ending kicks to the head in MMA vids the instep really does some damage! Looks painful to the foot though...
    You had a shoe on and it hurt your instep?
    It might hurt your tendons, but your instep should be ok.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys all know I have to put my 2 pennies in...

I usually use the instep if I am attacking a soft target. It gives me the range I need becaue I am a fucking midget. (5'8") Soft target being the stomach, inner thigh, or lower side area below the ribs.

I also hit the heavy bag with the instep. At first it hurt bad. So I took it slowly and gradually increased the power of the kick until i got used to it. Sometimes I still hit a hard part of the bag and it hurts a bit. However, I am short, not a sissy.......:)

However, I usually try to hit with the bottom part of my shin since it is a bit harder, but the instep on someones jaw does a great deal of damage.

In TKD they teach us to use the instep for a roundhouse (we call it a round kick) because they are still concerned with hitting the target and not focusing as much on damage.
    I was shown how to use the ball of the foot but it isnt natural for me so I dont practice it.

So I guess that the general consensus is that they can be used effectively but should not be the main point of contact with your kick.

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:43pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone calls them round kicks by the way. Round kick and roundhouse are interchangeable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 10:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I've kicked someone with my instep, I have misjudged my range or my opponent was a little late in an evasion. 26 tiny bones versus one solid strong bone is a no-brainer for me. I have broken bones in my foot in a fight, and it's no fun. Even targetting the lower ribs or below the ribs can be dangerous, because someone who has their guard up, has their elbows awfully close to that area. Anyone who has kicked with mean intentions, and struck an elbow with their foot, knows it sucks.

Unfortunately for me, I do often misjudge my distance and kick from too far... especially when targetting the head.

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is how the pros do it:
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=2824&zoneid=7
    Or don't, I guess.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 7:32pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed with meng-mao: there's no WAY you should have broken your foot kicking a heavy bag with shoes on. Though I don't go in for toeing a heavy bag in the first place -- that ain't real bright. Otherwise, there's plenty of surface area for the impact, since you don't have to worry about mounting your foot onto an elbow in the process.

octaviousbp: if I generated power like an MT guy did, I wouldn't use the feet, either. (A buddy showed me how you do these things this summer. Tons of power, but man, it's like asking for a foot injury). The equivalent savate kicks tend to come in on a different set of angles, and with more slack in the leg for the energy to transmit, rather than bounce.
    Last edited by Happycrow; 10/31/2006 7:35pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast