Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 8:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can figure is that it's more that the ball of your foot misses the, rib for example, but the bottom of your heel hits. Am I warm?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 9:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Budokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv1Sierpinski
    All I can figure is that it's more that the ball of your foot misses the, rib for example, but the bottom of your heel hits. Am I warm?
    Pretty much. It does require a good deal of flexability in the foot, as you have to pull it back far. To be honest Im not too found of this kick. Id prefer just to use my shin.

OSU,

Dave.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 10:13am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught to throw round kicks with my instep in my old Karate class. The only reason we didn't hurt ourselves where:

Lame Century Foam Kicking Mitts
    We were not trying hit really hard in sparring. (did catch elbows all the time)

The shin is the superior striking instrument and should be used over the instep. It may not be as articulate as the instep, and the instep is easier to aim. It's basically a baseball bat or a fist. Choose the Baseball bat.

I have no idea how to condition the the instep. It sounds like a bad idea. The instep is basically the same as the back of your hand. Who wants to smack hard stuff with your tendons? Thats why the knuckles are a better choice. Hence your shin.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the shin to the head is preferable, but I'm not flexible enough to get my shin up to head height. I'd say that's the main reason why the instep head kick is used.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 11:55am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shin seems more natural for me. I dunno why, when I first started karate, I threw shin roundhouses. My sensei would keep telling me off for that and tell me to use instep, until he broke his own instep one day kicking someone in the elbow during class. He kinda shut up about that afterwards.

The only possible advantage I could see the instep giving is slightly more range. But when you're kicking someone, unless you both kick at the exact same time and are the same height, those extra inches don't really matter that much.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 12:28pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have short legs so sometimes I need to use the instep simply for that added range. It's impossible for me to headkick some taller opponents otherwise.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 3:02pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushin_Dave
    AnnaTrocity, why would you ever throw any strike from out of range?

Because some peoples definition of kicking range is differant from mine. I feel that if I am not close enough to put a hand on them I probably shouldnt be kicking, even though I could probably tag them from further back I know that I am more at risk to catch the instep or knee and they're more likely to see it coming.

For punching I start punching out of range fairly frequently, it causes people to naturally flinch and then I can hit them where they're not covering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:43am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which martial arts use the instep and which ones use the shin? I certainly remember my old karate class using those despicable instep kicks...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 2:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in TKD we only used the instep for point sparring as it gives you a bit more reach. Everything else was ball of the foot or the shin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2006 10:20am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A hit is better than a miss, so even a headshot with an instep will do some damage. But like most other people i prefer my shins...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast