Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another instep kicking thread

Ok, I did my search func, but I didn't get the results I wanted, so there :tongue6:

Anyways, I've read here and in other sources that kicking with the instep is a good way to **** the ankles. And yet, afaik, several kickboxing rules seldom allow kicks with the shins and prefer kicks with the insteps.

The reason I'm asking is that I recently watched on DVD CroCop's fight with Magomedov (prior to his fight with Fedor.) More than in any other fight, one could clearly see the instep kicking, including his kick to Magomedov's face and the subsequent kick to the liver that delivered the win.

So the question is, how the hell kickboxers condition their insteps for that type of kicks? ****, insteps are just a mess of tendons and little bones as opposed to the shin, which is a freaking big, thick, baseball bat.

I have a friend of mine who is a former kickboxer, and one of the things he complained is that he broke his instep during comps long ago, and, according to him, that was a common accident back in his days.

How do you guys condition your insteps? How do you make them stronger and how do you cope with the damage that comes with it?

I'm very curious to to hear your experiences in this matter.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:29pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't a clue. I know many fighters condition their shins on the lower portion of a heavybag... maybe they simply do the same with their instep?

Right now I'm nursing a partially purple foot from an improperly thrown instep kick. Instep vs knee is a victory for the knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:30am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bag kicking mostly, but then again I mostly use point of the shoe when doing roundkicks. Ankle conditioning too, since whacking a good kick can cause some problems there.

Most people train with shin/instep guards, so that gives them a false sense of security, instep vs. elbow for example. Damn newbs block with elbow by instinct.

Hope that helped a bit. Now off to train.:wav:

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:53am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of kickboxing rules wear little booties to protect the instep, even pro full contact rules fighters wear them.

My instep is a little fucked up at the moment from catching something hard but sometimes if you kick from out of range or if you're kicking a head, it happens. It's nnoying and hurts when you train but during a fight the little **** like that doesnt matter.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 7:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instep for headkicks, nothing else. I'm too much of a wimp to risk smashing my instep off someones knee.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Budokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id never use the instep for any roundhouse kick, not even to the head. Its too risky. Also, kicking with the shin hurts the guy/gal a hell of alot more lol. When doing shin kicks in Kyokushin the foot and toes are curled back, so as to tense up the shin and not risk losing power through vibration of the foot (which happens if the foot is extended). Also, in Kyokushin blocking kicks and other strikes with your elbow is perfectly viable and done by most, which is why none of our roundhouse kicks come up at an angle at all.
    AnnaTrocity, why would you ever throw any strike from out of range?

OSU,

Dave.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 8:09am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also do roundhouses with the ball of the foot. It hurts them more than the instep.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 8:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Budokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The heel can also be used. Quite nasty for someones face or ribs. Infact, the position of the foot that we use in Kyokushin means that roundhouse kicks using the shin, ball or heel are all more or less the exact same, just with a range difference.

OSU.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um, how the **** do you do a roundhouse and hit someone with the heel? i am seriously intrigued by that one. you have super double jointed knees or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 8:28am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I to want to know more of this roundhouse with the heel.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast