Posted On:
    9/09/2006 1:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Budokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Welcome to the internet.
    Ive been chatting in chatrooms and forums for years, Im not new to the Internet. So this brings me to my next questions - Does chatting/posting on the Internet mean we abandon the respect and decency we show (or hopefully show) people in our normal lives?

OSU,

Dave.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:07pm

Style: Hung Gar Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Face to face communication has much more to it than the verbal component (wow...no **** really?). I think one could make a case that in order to express the emotion or nuance behind a comment that in RW would be obvious, one can exaggerate or use strong wording. This could seem less respectful, but really only reflects a persons passion about the subject.

That said, why would you post a quip that adds no real thought to the discussion? What purpose does this serve for you? Lulz? Fair enough, but there is that disrespect and lack of courtesy kyokushin_dave brought up.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People are supposed to be polite in newbietown. If the thought of people saying exactly what they think in whatever manner they like with no respect for your feelings is disturbing, don't venture outside newbietown.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. So on the internet, people can dispense with that little veneer of common courtesy that makes society function. After all, if you never have to deal with them in real life, there's no chance of them killing you and taking your stuff.

The problem isn't that I am disturbed by bluntness. The problem is that people are blunt *and* insulting. I'm posting here not to have a flame war, but to learn something.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushin_Dave
    Why is that Odacon? If a newbie posts outside of newbietown does that mean that those who are more experienced with forums and who have their rhetoric down to a fine art can simply abandon respect and common decency? Can those who are simply naive not ask naive questions without been torn to shreds?

OSU,

Dave.
    It's not even close to that. On Bullshido if you sign up and make claims that you're one of the few places that as he himself puts it in his thread title "CMA that actually spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling" and then doesn't provide any evidence like pictures, videos or a website that contains said media, then yes he will be torn to shreds. But in the newbitown he's ok because this is the on place flaming and trolling isn't allowed. Now, consider what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    Yes, you are very lucky this thread is in newbietown. Lurk more before you venture outside it.
    I'm trying to help the guy, if he lurks around, he'll find a million "we have teh R3@L Wing Chun/Aikido/JJJ/Hapkido etc." and find out that they desecdend into clunky, circular, flame wars. Not because We're a bunch of nutriders who think that it's only Muay Thai/Boxing/Kyokushin/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo/Sambo that works, most of the worthwhile members who are worth your time here know that most if not all arts have their virtue, but that it has to be proven first, that's Bullshido's Standing order. A product of this is the sometimes aggressive, sometimes cold and insensitive athmosphere but that is what vigilance produces which is not for everyone, which is why there is always MAP!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I never said that I trained "in one of the few places" that spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling, I only said that my class included these things, and that the class of the same style here doesn't.

2. Why would I ever claim to have elements of class curriculum when I really don't? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if my class didn't inlcude those exercises that I listed, I wouldn't mention them at all? Anway, in my original post, I was lamenting the lack of these elements in the class here. I have no onus to convince you that I'm telling the truth.

I am not claiming "we have teh R3@L Wing Chun/Aikido/JJJ/Hapkido etc."

I guess I will say again, my OP was on the lack of activites I percieve to be useful and necessary in the local class of my style.

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 3:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    1. I never said that I trained "in one of the few places" that spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling, I only said that my class included these things, and that the class of the same style here doesn't.

2. Why would I ever claim to have elements of class curriculum when I really don't? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if my class didn't inlcude those exercises that I listed, I wouldn't mention them at all? Anway, in my original post, I was lamenting the lack of these elements in the class here. I have no onus to convince you that I'm telling the truth.

I am not claiming "we have teh R3@L Wing Chun/Aikido/JJJ/Hapkido etc."

I guess I will say again, my OP was on the lack of activites I percieve to be useful and necessary in the local class of my style.
    Whoops?
    Last edited by Odacon; 9/09/2006 3:40pm at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. So on the internet, people can dispense with that little veneer of common courtesy that makes society function.
    They can outside Newbietown on Bullshido. That's a deliberate decision by the owner. Bullshido isn't public property, you don't own part of it and are here as a priviledge not a right. If you don't like the way it is outside Newbietown, you simply don't have to go there. It won't change to accomodate your taste.

The problem isn't that I am disturbed by bluntness. The problem is that people are blunt *and* insulting. I'm posting here not to have a flame war, but to learn something.
    Develop a thicker skin.
    Last edited by Cullion; 9/09/2006 3:57pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Develop a thicker skin.
    Thanks for the sagely advice. It came just in time to halt the descent of the razor into my wrist.

Insults drag an argument to a personal attack. We should be able to express our scorn, contempt, and revulsion through an attack on a person's reasoning.

Incidently, I have seen "real kung fu" pissing contests and find them as sad as the flamewars. To avoid having to be part of such a pissing contest in real life, can anyone reccomend a CMA school in Vancouver that actually recognises non-traditional exercises and techniques, and places an greater emphasis on applications and sparring over forms?

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To avoid having to be part of such a pissing contest in real life, can anyone reccomend a CMA school in Vancouver that actually recognises non-traditional exercises and techniques, and places an greater emphasis on applications and sparring over forms?
    Here:
    http://www.shouyuliang.com/classes/sanshou.shtml
    http://www.shouyuliang.com/aboutus/location.shtml

This address my lapse in reading skills.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast