Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hongcouver
    Posts
    61
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    CMA that actually spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling

    I am a student of Hung gar. I'm also a n00b to this forum, as well as to the city of Vancouver. I was so happy to hear that there was a large school in my style here, with a famous instructor. But it was not to be! Upon checking out the local Hung gar class, which infests both universities as well as seeming to be the only gig in town, I was saddened.

    Not present were application drills, chin na (not even the lamest of finger locks), or any sort of sparring. Occasionally students play at sanshou, but the lack of people pounding on eachother every class, or before and after, left a gaping hole in my heart.

    Forms were practiced by people who had no grasp of funamental techniques such as how to put one's body and stance into a punch. Even the most advanced student of the class, when demonstrating Fu Hok (an advanced form in my old class), showed a lack of fa jing and understanding of the application of the moves. Upon questioning a few students later on, I learned that application was not stressed, and that those sorry forms were the main teaching tool. Furthermore, these forms seemed to resemble the ones I learned, but changed to involve more jumping around, but fewer deep stances and excercises. As well, moves had been altered to be less difficult. To their credit though, I liked the warm-up, with some badass jumping jacks.

    Jeez! I want a class like my old one, only minus the psychos who actually injure their classmates after a bad day...

    Anyone with something to contribute?

  2. #2
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,631
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you are very lucky this thread is in newbietown. Lurk more before you venture outside it.

  3. #3
    WorldWarCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,121
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lurrrrrrrrrkkkkkkk, it'll help. I promise.

  4. #4
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido. where was your old school, and what were classes and curriculum like?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hongcouver
    Posts
    61
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Curriculum/Class

    Start class: length 2 hours
    After warm up, assume horse riding stance or some other conditioning.
    Look stupid for around 20 minutes, but feel the mighty stance of Siulum develop.
    Find partner and condition arms, push hands-type stuff.
    Drill techniques. Feel teh lame run in terror from your finger-mashing skills.

    Application exercises:

    Sparring: face opponent, hit him, do it again, don't stop. May be done harder contact with gloves, or softer with bare hands. Done often during any spare time.

    Semi-circle of meanness: a half-circle of approx. 6 students array around the person in the middle. On a chair behind the person in the middle, out of his sight, a student point at members of the circle, who then attack. Variations include several attacks at once, or in rapid succession. Static stances invite groin kicks. Retreating gets you kicked (gently and with affection) in the head by the guy on the chair. Recieving a blow results in many many more without learning to take it.


    I invite criticism in the form of arguments, not wee witty quips.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hongcouver
    Posts
    61
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    School was in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

  7. #7
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,631
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    School was in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Does this place have a website? Any photos or videos of a class?

  8. #8
    OZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonthesong
    I am a student of Hung gar. I'm also a n00b to this forum, as well as to the city of Vancouver. I was so happy to hear that there was a large school in my style here, with a famous instructor. But it was not to be! Upon checking out the local Hung gar class, which infests both universities as well as seeming to be the only gig in town, I was saddened.

    Not present were application drills, chin na (not even the lamest of finger locks), or any sort of sparring. Occasionally students play at sanshou, but the lack of people pounding on eachother every class, or before and after, left a gaping hole in my heart.

    Forms were practiced by people who had no grasp of funamental techniques such as how to put one's body and stance into a punch. Even the most advanced student of the class, when demonstrating Fu Hok (an advanced form in my old class), showed a lack of fa jing and understanding of the application of the moves. Upon questioning a few students later on, I learned that application was not stressed, and that those sorry forms were the main teaching tool. Furthermore, these forms seemed to resemble the ones I learned, but changed to involve more jumping around, but fewer deep stances and excercises. As well, moves had been altered to be less difficult. To their credit though, I liked the warm-up, with some badass jumping jacks.

    Jeez! I want a class like my old one, only minus the psychos who actually injure their classmates after a bad day...

    Anyone with something to contribute?

    Was the school in Vancouver's chinatown? Who was the teacher?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

  9. #9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Yes, you are very lucky this thread is in newbietown. Lurk more before you venture outside it.
    Why is that Odacon? If a newbie posts outside of newbietown does that mean that those who are more experienced with forums and who have their rhetoric down to a fine art can simply abandon respect and common decency? Can those who are simply naive not ask naive questions without been torn to shreds?

    OSU,

    Dave.

  10. #10
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushin_Dave
    Why is that Odacon? If a newbie posts outside of newbietown does that mean that those who are more experienced with forums and who have their rhetoric down to a fine art can simply abandon respect and common decency? Can those who are simply naive not ask naive questions without been torn to shreds?

    OSU,

    Dave.
    Welcome to the internet.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO