Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 9:58am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. However, while the strikes are random in Tomiki Randori/Shiai (with fake knives) they are constrained by rules as it is a sport. Toshu is another beast altogether where it is Judo-esque but limited by rules to Aikido.

And to answer the question before someone says it. Aikido is optimal at the range Judo isn't. The purpose of the competition is to practice Aikido against a fully resistant opponent to hone our abilities, not to win with whatever means available. The rules enforce that behaviour with the scoring system.

Aikido and Judo together are phenomenal I hear. The competency of the practicioner in both arts is increased. I would recommend a solid base in one before the other is introduced into your training. Whoah tangent, sorry.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 10:11am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido competitions fall into the aliveness realm, realistic or not. Just because there are rules does not mean it is not alive. Aliveness is what you make of it. There is no reason aikido can not be done alive. It is just the majority of aikidoka are afraid of getting hurt.

I've been toying with the idea of a serious of drills or a point based 3 man randori competition utilizing grappling only that would be more realstic in regard to aikido techniques. If I get some time maybe I start a thread with the details and ask for input.

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 10:29am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DDale

Im just wondering because one of the guys I work with is a doorman and he swears by an aikido wristlock called sankyo for chucking out and contriolling people.
    I once watched my friend get taken out of his car by the cops with a sankyo on his hand that was on the steering wheel.

Also. when I say 'my friend', I really don't mean myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 10:33am

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can always find out: if some aikidoka's around Dallas and wants to give it a try sometime, i can feed in punches. My breakfalls ain't gorgeous, but I can always use the practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:33am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sankyo is not meant as a controlling lock. It's meant to get the uke to raise up so he's easier to take down or throw. Sankyo would be a tough lock to maintain for an extended period of time since there's a fair amount of space for uke to get out of or counter. Out of all of the kihon techniques, sankyo is my favorite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:35am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I've been toying with the idea of a serious of drills or a point based 3 man randori competition utilizing grappling only that would be more realstic in regard to aikido techniques. If I get some time maybe I start a thread with the details and ask for input.
    Please do. I am always open to new ways/ideas to try to evolve the way I train.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    There is no reason aikido can not be done alive. It is just the majority of aikidoka are afraid of getting hurt.

I don't know if I agree with that. When I trained in Aikido it hurt like a bitch. And I have gone on to do some Jiu Jitsu, BJJ, wreslting, MT and sparring.

I think the objectiion that many Aikidoka would have is that Alive Aikido wouldn't have the same flow and artfullness as practiced and frankly would look like sloppy jiu jitsu.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 12:07pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I say hurt, I do not mean pain. I mean injury. When you train with aliveness, you run a much higher risk of injury. A lot of aikidoka that I talk to like judo, but they do not want to train in it because they are afraid of injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 12:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goju, do you mean this sort of movement when you talk about the sprawl counter?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UxGoOr6q0...elated&search=

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 12:29pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I think you need to train in something that is alive like grappling and try to find aikidoish applications.

For example I have been doing some takedown classes that are greco based. So I am learning better to sprawl and clinch. I have been thinking what if following a succesfull sprwal instead of coming up and underhooking I get my hands behind the persons neck. My left hand/arm then pushes down on thier head while my right slide down to under their arm left arm and pushes up, while my left leg swings back and i drop my body down.

If the person is driving through on their shoot this should turn into a good Aikido like throw.

I i'm pretty sure that's an actual silat takedown.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast