I guest that sums up your answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 11:08pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Spending some time learning how to use underhooks and overhooks and learning how to anchor to your own body can really be a life saver in a no gi situation.
    Thanks, this is something I need to ask my judo coach the next time I meet him. BTW FictionPimp, my sparring partner uses a lot of body checks (atemi using his whole body) to prevent me from entering fully. He will use his shoulder/hips to ram me to prevent me from entering fully. Good stuff he is showing me I must say. I truly value the property of atemi.

Quote Originally Posted by Goju-joe
    I suspect that no gi alive Aikdio would look a lot like wrestling with under hooks, body rotaion and controling the head to throw the person.
    The more I try to do aikido in an alive setting the more I am further from the aikido I know . It looks like, it feels non-aikido.

GMW.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 10:50am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Thanks, this is something I need to ask my judo coach the next time I meet him. BTW FictionPimp, my sparring partner uses a lot of body checks (atemi using his whole body) to prevent me from entering fully. He will use his shoulder/hips to ram me to prevent me from entering fully. Good stuff he is showing me I must say. I truly value the property of atemi.

The more I try to do aikido in an alive setting the more I am further from the aikido I know . It looks like, it feels non-aikido.

GMW.
    I think if you're getting close enough to your opponent to use underhooks and whatnot you're out of the realm of Aikido. Aikido is ideally meant to be used a little farther away. Think closer than optimal striking distance but farther away than ideal grappling distance. The way I think of the range is if you both put your arms out, your range of attacking should be between your wrists and elbows. Kind of hard to explain without actually showing someone but I'll try and find some pictures later to help illustrate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 12:34pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Isatheprophet
    All this allive aikido stuff is baseless, you guys think that there is no resistance in aikido, well as the average aikidoka how sore there wrists are or how hard they were thrown today. I bet you would get a few grumbles about that.

The aim of aikido is to learn the throw, with some form of resistance, not combat the throw as if the other person was trying to do another aikidio technique. Thats the point, its not about beating the guy or trying to win a match. In judo most randaros are set to match considitions. Get the person on the back, or subit etc, thats not the point in aikido, and most of your guys think it i, it is not. Also you guys think because its soft its usless or the lack of competetion makes its uslesss. Well you fight how you train. Just look at how a judoka trains, they have to grip a jacket, pretty ineffective on the street. No blocks or kicks are taught, and most of the ground work attacks are oopen to bits, knife attacks in the stomach or side etc, so its pretty useless if you do not ADAPT. This is the key.

Are judo throws more effective because they are done in randario, in my view they are not,, every one knows you can apply some form of resistance in non competive fights. The average judoko knows there disadvantages and competition is one of them if fact it can impeade your fighting ability.

Geofff Thompson stated once, there was a fight in a karate compettion in southern france, it was a near riot state, NO ONE was injured becasue people were taught to pull there punches. Does this make karate less effective, in this context yest, but its shows the school did not use bags or pads that much and has nothing to do with the club being full contact or not. Also humans are extremely conditioned not to hit or hurt a person badly, just look at how high the kill rates for the US military during ww2, vietnam and gulf wars. I am sure it reals the nature of the human condition. Most of use do not want to hurt people, only a minority can bridge the gap.

This goes for street attacks the minority only do this - the question is can aikido techniques work with some adaptation, my answer yes they can.All you have to do is say can you use ur judo stuff with some adaptation and they answer would be yes, so it would go for aikido. Most would agree the locks and chocks of judo are affective, and these are in some way are virtually identitcal to akidio techiques. Are you saying also that the ukemis of aikido are not effective in a street fight, they could be use to get a way from a really tight spot or if you get knocked to the ground. If they answer is no they you would have to question the ukemi of judo and ju jitsu.

The attackers of aikido are being purists because they think aikido is fake, it is either because they have not got the skill or just prefer another style or do not have the intelligence to adapt. No skill not long enough at studying it, doing another style , well how can they comment if they have not done it, cannot adapt, too rigid in their interpretation of the technque. You adapt the techique to the situation not the other way round.

Fact most karateka do not use full contact or spar regulary but it does not mean the MA is less effective on the street, people who use it adapt it, its that simple. Judo is a good sport but not good for street defence without adaptation, , where its lacking ( jacket grips, no punches etc) its make up for good array of techniques, that can be used,. Its the same with aikido.
    PLEASE CLICK ME
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910