Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 2:33pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    At the amout of mileage you have on that barrel it is in the critical area, considering the high velocity, light weight of the round. Great round, short barrel life. The last 22-250 I had I had it customized to sniper grade. Made it a straight .308 cal. there is a great range you can do with .308 from elk to groundhog deending on your load.

And most importantly, since my former military background/LE/ Contractor work...you can find .308 in any country being a NATO round and all.

Just food for thought but I am sure someone else will give you "better" advice.

Good luck
    LG
    That is some good advice. I also have a .308 in a savage that I use for 1000 yd shooting. I just really like the 22-250 for 100-400 yds varmiting. It is alot easier on the shoulder when you shoot 100 or so rounds in an afternoon.

PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look to Hornady for lighter loads that will not give the shoulder an " owee" lol. They will give you the correct "recipie" bullet weight, charge amount.

I am glad to help you.

LG

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 6:39am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many rounds has it been through?

If .223 is a cool mountrain stream, 22-250 is flaming gravel when it comes to barrel friendliness.

What's the rate of twist? The higher the rate the shorter the life span.

Is it possible your barrel has bought the farm?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    How many rounds has it been through?

If .223 is a cool mountrain stream, 22-250 is flaming gravel when it comes to barrel friendliness.

What's the rate of twist? The higher the rate the shorter the life span.

Is it possible your barrel has bought the farm?
    Barrel has had some where around 2000-3500 rounds through it. Twist is a 1 in 12.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Data

So we cronographed some rounds that were shot through my rifle today to see if possibly that was some sort of issue with them. We found that comparitively they were shooting 200fps off of what they had shot in the past. For example; 35.5 gr of 2230c with a 50 gr Horniday V-max with CCI Primers. Shoot between 3700 fps and 3850fps. (in 70 degree weather) The rounds shot today are as close to the above specifications with similar weather (around 70 degrees) shooting 3580-3650. This could mean that they projectiles are not getting enough pressure due to the barren no holding tight enough and more gas slipping around the bullet. We measured head space and found no throat erosion. I also took a look at the crown on the barrel and could find no visible problems. with it.

Any thoughts in the loss of muzzel velocity? I used same components from the same lot of powder purchased at the same time.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really have no throat erosion, no visible rifling wear, and no visible crown damage, I'm stumped. I'm tempted to blame ammo. But didn't you say your loads don't keyhole in your dad's rifle?

Could be two or more factors that are just far enough out of spec that they combine to cause your problem. At that round count in .22-250, though, I'm surprised you have so little wear.

We're all just guys out here on the internet who aren't even looking at your rifle, though. You might ask in Art of the Rifle or Gunsmithing over at www.thehighroad.org and see what they tell you. Actually you might find it by searching; the database is huge over there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more guess and then the water is too deep for me. But, I think I got it pegged. Re-check the bullet depth seat, and the crimp.

If the bullet is not set deep enough, loss pressure and passing of gasses around the base of the bullet, ergo..tumbling.

Or, To slack of a crimp...passing of gasses to easily, same effect.

It is definetly a internal ballistics issue. I had a good teacher, lol in Gun-Fu. And Ching-ching pao, lol.

Happy shooting

LG

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth...

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/gun_columns/notes/0412/

With proper care, a good old .30-06 should deliver accuracy for at least 3,000 rounds or more. Some of the new cartridges that are much faster (and burn much more powder) will almost certainly show reduced accuracy long before 1,000 rounds are fired. This is significant, but, as Mr. Arbaugh asks, does anyone really care? Part of it, I fear, is that few modern riflemen shoot enough--or well enough--to worry about it. I don't worry about it too much. Replacing a barrel isn't the end of the world, although I do try to ration rounds out of the few very fast (or very overbore) rifles I own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Problem solved.

Ok guys and girls you are not going to beleive this ****. I have been working with this problem for a few weeks now and i think i have it solved. My father was looking to buy a lathe so he can do some gun smithing. So he went out to talk to a guy who had one for sale who happened to be a shooter himself. Dad and this gentleman were shooting the **** when dad brought up the problem with my rifle and they guy suggested that we put the barrel in the oven at 325 and bake it for 4 hours. Then let the barrel cool in the oven to make sure the cooling is slow. Ok so dad calls me asking if I think this is a valid startagey. (I am a black smith and knife maker so i know a little bit about metal and metal work.) I explaine that they guy is talking about what we call "normalization" in the knife making world. I then say that we have nothing to lose since the damn gun wont shoot right anyway. So dad takes the my rifle and removes the barrel. Then places it on a peice of wood and bakes it for 4 hours at 325. Well dispite my thought that the guy was mostly full of **** (I admit I was wrong) It seems to have worked. Check out the pics below. Tell me what you think.

Results

Here is how it was shooting before. The point of aim on this one is the center red dot. YIKES

Posted On:
    9/29/2006 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn! that before picture is scary.

Looks good dude, but what do I know?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast