Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 7:32pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Key holeing

My fellow gunicans....Ok it sounded better in my head.

I am having an issue with my long range bolt action rifle. I was out at the range with my dad working on some basic skills like you would expect. So I take aim at a 100yd target 8.5/11 in piece of paper. Squeeze off 5 carefully placed shots. None hit... So I start the process of checking my scope mounts ect. Take aim at the center target on the paper and squeeze off 3 more. No hits on paper. Now I am getting frustrated I had zero'd the scope on this rifle not long ago and expect to shoot 1in to 3/4in groups at 100 yds. So my father and I start going thorough the trouble shooting process with it and find that at 100 yds it is shooting 12in high. So we move to a closer target. Fire a few rounds and find 4 key hole impacts on the target. (key hole=bullet tumbling and hitting broad side rather then with the tip.)

So the question is what is causing this problem. Dad and I have rifles that are the same manufacture and same model built with in the same year. (Savage M12bvss) We have changed ammo from my reloads, to my fathers out of my gun. Keyholeing. Then we shot my reloads out of his gun. No key holing. Then we shot factory loads out of both guns. Getting keyholing on mine but not his. So this leads me to the conclusion that it is not my reloads.

From there you have to go to mechanical problems with the gun itself. Any Thoughts?

PT.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy quality factory ammo and try it. It may be your ammo not aggreeing with your weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Buy quality factory ammo and try it. It may be your ammo not aggreeing with your weapon.
    Tried this. Used Winchester 22-250 with 55gr hollow points. Thanks for the thought though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 3:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to approach the problem from the most simplistic angle. the cause has to be in one of two possile locations. While in the weapon, or while in flight. Internal and external ballistics.

Internally it could be bad ammo, get out your gauge/micrometer and check the overall length of the round, and if it is in order/to spec. Check the the barrel for impediment. and most importantly the crown of you barrel, this is overlook by more common shooter, but it controls how the bullet leaves the barrel.

Externally, there is not much to affect especially with rifles, and in particular with your choice of caliber, the only improved choice would be anything .30cal. It may be something as simple as a bad round, not developing enough pressure to stabilize in the rifiling.

If you do not personally reload, and are anal about it, it could be any of these things. Get out the trusty barrel light and have a looksee. My gut tells me that it may be the crown.

I hope I was of some help and I am sorry I could not be of more.

LG

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 3:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumb question, but have you cleaned it lately?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about sighting it in for 50yds first?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was this the first time you shot this particular rifle?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Great in put guys keep it coming.

Internally it could be bad ammo, get out your gauge/micrometer and check the overall length of the round, and if it is in order/to spec. Check the the barrel for impediment. and most importantly the crown of you barrel, this is overlook by more common shooter, but it controls how the bullet leaves the barrel.
    The ammo is the first place we started assuming that i made some mistake with my reloads. However shooting my ammo out of Dad's gun did not keyhole. His ammo (and he is much more serious than I) Did keyhole out of my rifle. I will check the crown to see if I can see any problems with it. The rifle has 2000-3500 rounds through it. I have been reading that with a 22-250 that the barrels are shot out in this range so i may be looking at a new barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Dumb question, but have you cleaned it lately?
    Yeah we cleaned it electriclly before this last attempt to shoot it.

What about sighting it in for 50yds first?
    Also tried this it was at 25 yds that we noticed the keyholes.

Was this the first time you shot this particular rifle?
    No this has been a 1" to 3/4" rifle since I bought it. I normally shoot it very well the only equipment change has been the scope. I do not beleive however that the scope will cause keyholes since it is not related to projectile flight.

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    My gut tells me that it may be the crown.
    My initial thought as well.
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the amout of mileage you have on that barrel it is in the critical area, considering the high velocity, light weight of the round. Great round, short barrel life. The last 22-250 I had I had it customized to sniper grade. Made it a straight .308 cal. there is a great range you can do with .308 from elk to groundhog deending on your load.

And most importantly, since my former military background/LE/ Contractor work...you can find .308 in any country being a NATO round and all.

Just food for thought but I am sure someone else will give you "better" advice.

Good luck

LG
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast