Administrator

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 1:30pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East
    wouldnt call a Glock cop proof. Most police AD's are derived from Glock users. lack of a manual safety will do that though no matter the gun, be it sigs are HK's
    You would think that the migration from Revolvers to Semi's would have been easier. Though the New York Trigger I read has helped with lessening if not stopping the occurences of LEO's shooting themwelves.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense to our resident cops, but no gun is cop proof. When I was in college buying a .22 from the local gunsmith in Galesburg, IL, he told me the story of the Chief of Police from one town over bringing in a Glock 17. She couldn't get the magazine to seat.
    She had loaded four full-capacity magazines with 9mm--backward.

I'd have to see hard data before I'd believe the NY trigger actually lessened accidents. Lawsuits, yes. Actual ND's, I doubt it. It's still nothing like a DA revolver trigger. It's not even as heavy as the DA on my SIG, although the SIG is smooth like butter whereas the Glock 30 is. . . . a disturbing cacophony of wobbling, stacking, creeping, wiggling and squishing. But mine's factory with a 3.5 connector.

They say in the old days many departments trained officers to rest their fingers on the triggers of their double-action revolvers when they had the gun in hand.
    Yipes.
    But most of the people on police forces today don't remember carrying issued revolvers, they just don't practice.

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 11:13pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    No offense to our resident cops, but no gun is cop proof. When I was in college buying a .22 from the local gunsmith in Galesburg, IL, he told me the story of the Chief of Police from one town over bringing in a Glock 17. She couldn't get the magazine to seat.
    She had loaded four full-capacity magazines with 9mm--backward.
    ab-dum-ching wah-wah-wah-waaaaaaah :)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2006 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last year DOD announced they were dumping the m9 and going back to .45. From my experience in both OIF and OEF, glock is the way to go.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 12:52pm

Style: All-American Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc
    Factory trigger (5 or 5.5#). I only added night-sights and a stainless guide-rod with a heavy spring. I want new triggers for all of them, but $90 each, that is too much for me.
    Hey, slamdunc, n00b here, I used to lurk for awhile, though.

I've been messing with Glocks for years, and they are so easy to work on, there's no reason trigger work should cost you 90 bucks. In my mind, lighter is better, so I haven't ever messed with the "New York" trigger setup that it sounds like Anthony is describing. a 3.5# (factory Glock part, comes standard in the 34, 35, and other longslide guns) connector should be under thirty bucks from most online vendors. Google the "25-cent trigger job" and check out glockmeister.com's tech pages. Anyone can do it with a punch and a dremel tool.

regards,
    blue.

P.S. I finally posted, now maybe the big, mean mesage will go away.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/13/2006 11:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That giant contract for a new .45 service pistol got gutted a few weeks ago. There's still a contract for guns for a couple of small units, but they're not replacing the M9 anymore.

Not sure that's a bad idea. I like a .45 as much as the next guy, but come on--is it really time to replace the Berettas?
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 9/13/2006 11:41pm at .

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 1:02am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is it really time to replace the Berettas?

That depends on if they are double action only. Then yes.
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 9:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe the M9 is DAO. Frankly I don't see an issue with DAO (other than the fact that it drives me nuts from a grammatical standpoint.)

If you're willing to accept DA/SA and train through the transition, I don't see what the big problem would be with DAO and no transition.

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 12:49am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe the M9 is DAO. Frankly I don't see an issue with DAO (other than the fact that it drives me nuts from a grammatical standpoint.)

If you're willing to accept DA/SA and train through the transition, I don't see what the big problem would be with DAO and no transition.

Our department used to carry the S&W 686. (before my time.) about 1990 they went with the berretta 92 DAO. The first thing that happend was that unlike the .357, the 9mm was not putting people down. love it or hate it, the 9 just was not doing its job. It also was not penetrating windshields very well.

In 1993 One of our officers was in a convienence store talking to the cashier. Vince is a big, (big) officer. Ex-footbal player. At any rate, a shitbag walked in and shot him twice in the back of the head with a piece of **** jennings .25 cal. Niether round penetrated the skull and vince leaned over and pushed the girl to the floor, He then drew and returned fire as the kid ran behind a store rack.

This whole event was caught on the store security camera. Vince would get a round off, and the his gun would quit working. he tapped and racked, and would get off one round and then nothing (all while taking fire.) he dropped the mag and put in a new one. the same thing happend, he dropped that mag and put in a new one.

this went on until he killed the bad guy.

it was later determined that the gun was not jamming. Due to the long trigger pull the gun was not fireing becuse he was not letting the trigger extend all the way to cycle the mechanisim. The trigger pull was not demmed a problem in training but under stress, it was difficult to make work.

The department switched to the glock 17. No more trigger problems in combat, but the short commings of the 9mm were still a problem. We then switched to the .40 cal. and all's well on the eastern front.

I think I would perfer the .45 but the .40 is doing its job.
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/15/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frank Booth: What kind of gun do you like to shoot, neighbor?
    Jeffrey Beaumont: Glocks.
    Frank Booth: Glocks? **** that ****! SIG SAUER!

Frank Booth: Don't be a good neighbor anymore to her. I'll have to send you a love letter! Straight from my heart, fucker! You know what a love letter is? It's a bullet from a fucking gun, fucker! You recieve a love letter from me, and you're fucked forever! You understand, ****? I'll send you straight to hell, fucker!... In dreams... I walk with you. In dreams... I talk to you. In dreams, you're mine... all the time. Forever
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast