Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gyms around NYU? I need a goddamn power rack!

I just started graduate school at NYU this week and while I love the school and the city I have found myself in shock at the weight facilities at both gyms on campus. My lifting program is basically a 5 by 5 using Squats, Bench, Power Clean, Deadlift and Press. Very simple and requires little more then just a power rack and a bench. I was glad to find out that Cole’s gym had 3 weight rooms... but shocked to find not a single one contained a power rack. One contained a very awkward squat rack (and only one, everything else was either a bench or a machine), which would work to squat and press, but is impossible to deadlift and awkward to power cleans as the station doesn't allow you to lower the bar past mid-shin level. For example, of you load on 45's the bar would still be 3-4 inches of the ground. I asked someone working there if there was an area where it would be acceptable to do deadlifts, but he gave me a confused looked and had never heard nor seen this lift. I can commandeer a bar and try to deadlift where ever the hell I want, but it is crowded and there really is no space as it is just machine after machine with narrow walkways....

Which leads me too... anyone know any good gyms around NYU that are powerlifter friendly? Do the sports team have a separate weight room I can use that have proper equipment? I can make do with the current setup but it is cumbersome and just a bad environment as I feel really out of place. I have only trained in university gyms in the past, but still, this is beyond absurd for a gym of this size!

Oh, and of course, the only thing I saw anyone expect me use the squat station for was barbell curls. It made me want to cry..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 3:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure about NYU but make sure to drop by the NYC Throwdown thread.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the various city recreation centers. Regardless of whether you find what you are looking for, you are not going to find a much better bargain in NYC than these.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_thing...ters/index.php

For instance, the Lost Battalion Hall in Rego Park, Queens has an Olympic weightlifting area. I understand former Olympic Weightlifting Coach Arthur Drechsler used to volunteer his time there extensively.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Check out the various city recreation centers. Regardless of whether you find what you are looking for, you are not going to find a much better bargain in NYC than these.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_thing...ters/index.php

For instance, the Lost Battalion Hall in Rego Park, Queens has an Olympic weightlifting area. I understand former Olympic Weightlifting Coach Arthur Drechsler used to volunteer his time there extensively.
    That is very useful, thanks.