223966 Bullies, 4086 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 121
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 10:21am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 34 and my body needs different conditioning than when I was 21. I found this out the hard way by getting sciatica last year. One of the things I did to "fix myself" was get into Pilates which I have found very helpfull. It was doing Pilates that I had I epiphany about Kata and what i can really get out of it. I I spent time learning different Pilates excercises and then put them together in one routine, which looked and felt a lot like a Kata.

    Having said that out of an hour class the max Kata i ever do is about 10 minutes either at the begining or ending of class.

    Spending hours on Kata is crazy.

    Also I only have 7 kata's in my entire system anymore would be uncessary.

    I also think searching Kata for hidden Bunkai is stupid.
  2. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 10:21am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 34 and my body needs different conditioning than when I was 21. I found this out the hard way by getting sciatica last year. One of the things I did to "fix myself" was get into Pilates which I have found very helpfull. It was doing Pilates that I had I epiphany about Kata and what i can really get out of it. I I spent time learning different Pilates excercises and then put them together in one routine, which looked and felt a lot like a Kata.

    Having said that out of an hour class the max Kata i ever do is about 10 minutes either at the begining or ending of class.

    Spending hours on Kata is crazy.

    Also I only have 7 kata's in my entire system anymore would be uncessary.

    I also think searching Kata for hidden Bunkai is stupid.
  3. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,637

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 10:50am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=GoJu - Joe]I am 34 and my body needs different conditioning than when I was 21. I found this out the hard way by getting sciatica last year. One of the things I did to "fix myself" was get into Pilates which I have found very helpfull. It was doing Pilates that I had I epiphany about Kata and what i can really get out of it. I I spent time learning different Pilates excercises and then put them together in one routine, which looked and felt a lot like a Kata.


    So, what did you decide you can get out of it? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really interested to know (especially if it pertains to fighting).

    Also, I'm 30. So if there is going to be some benefit to kata four years from now that I'm not seeing, I'd like to know. (Okay, that part was sarcastic, but I'd still like to know what you decided you can really get out of kata - if it pertains to fighting).
  4. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:27am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The conditiong aspects as it pertains to doing it all together in one excercise.

    That's not to say I exclude doing other excercises that isolate different issues.

    One of the things, for eample I learned in Pilates, is how important it is to to keep your skeletal structure in proper shape or you end up accumulating stress and causin certain injuries.

    The movments and posture found in kata's force your structure into good positions.

    I don't think you need to mystify or elevate kata beyond any other excecise.

    You can get the same benefits from doing other stuff as well. i just feel you can also get it from doing some kata's

    But I also don't go to a dojo that makes you do hours of Kata a week so I have never developed the hate for it.

    I like to think of it as martial yoga
  5. schuyler is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    194

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:05pm


     Style: Kyokushin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think knowing the bunkai of the kata you're practicing is important. Sanchin however is not a kata I'd consider to have bunkai other then what has been said above. Oh, and no kata should have 'secret' bunkai, it should be straightforward and obvious. For the record, I hate kata but I do it because its part of my system. Then again, I hate doing squats, but I do them anyway.
  6. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:11pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the big problem with Kata in general is that McDojo's used them to give people a false sense of accomplishment. Having someone be a world champion in Kata is like having someone be a world champion in sit ups and stride jumps.

    Whoopdy doo!!
  7. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,637

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:19pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    The conditiong aspects as it pertains to doing it all together in one excercise.

    That's not to say I exclude doing other excercises that isolate different issues.

    One of the things, for eample I learned in Pilates, is how important it is to to keep your skeletal structure in proper shape or you end up accumulating stress and causin certain injuries.

    The movments and posture found in kata's force your structure into good positions.

    I don't think you need to mystify or elevate kata beyond any other excecise.

    You can get the same benefits from doing other stuff as well. i just feel you can also get it from doing some kata's

    But I also don't go to a dojo that makes you do hours of Kata a week so I have never developed the hate for it.

    I like to think of it as martial yoga

    I don't have any argument with the benefits you say you're getting. I don't think what you're saying makes much of a case for kata as a practical training method for fighting, though. I think that would be stretching. And that's the way it always is when somebody argues that kata is important. You've got to stretch to make that connection.
  8. schuyler is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    194

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:20pm


     Style: Kyokushin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well put. Though its impressive how well some people can perform kata, the **** you see on ESPN is the worst of the worst. I wouldn't even call that crap kata.
  9. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,637

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:29pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by schuyler
    I think knowing the bunkai of the kata you're practicing is important. Sanchin however is not a kata I'd consider to have bunkai other then what has been said above. Oh, and no kata should have 'secret' bunkai, it should be straightforward and obvious. For the record, I hate kata but I do it because its part of my system. Then again, I hate doing squats, but I do them anyway.

    I think this is the biggest joke of all in kata. Why do bunkai add relevance? Here's the problem with that line of thought. If someone has to show you the bunkai of the kata, then they could have just shown you the technique without the kata. The kata itself is just extraneous bullshit.

    If you discover the bunkai yourself, then you have found the "secret" bunkai. What this really means is that you spent X amount of time looking for the hidden technique when somebody could have shown you the technique, and you could have spent X amount of time practicing it instead of looking for it.

    But, back to your point about straightforward and obvious bunkai - there's no such thing. It's all interprative. Ask 10 different masters what the same movement in a kata means and they'll tell you 10 different things. It's a waste of time. Bunkai don't make kata worthwhile.
  10. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/22/2006 12:37pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I don't have any argument with the benefits you say you're getting. I don't think what you're saying makes much of a case for kata as a practical training method for fighting, though. I think that would be stretching. And that's the way it always is when somebody argues that kata is important. You've got to stretch to make that connection.
    Well I look at it this way. Diego Sanchez does a lot of Yoga and credits it with helping his fighting a lot.

    Doing Yoga however does not necessarily make you a fighter. Nor is Yoga benefits mainly about fighting or even have any real direct or practical connection to fighting. So it is a stretch to say yoga is important to fighting however the empiracal benefits of fighters who add yoga into their training can't be denied as more and more fighters (especially ones whose background is wrestling) add yoga into their training and credit it with helping them. In many respects they are reinventing the benefits that you can get from Kata (some kata's more than others.)

    FYI Gogen Yamaguchi who started the branch of GoJu I draw my Kata from was a yoga student and incorporated it into his Kata's which is why I bring Yoga up.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.