Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    i remember seeing a irl demo of a bunch of guys doing a "sanchin" kata and thought "wow, these guys would get fucked up in a fight with that kind of ****"

then i realised it was just interpretive dance not fighting and clapped with everyone else

It's a set of dynamic tension and breathing exercises. I don't think the people who do Sanchin all think it's some kind of scripted shadowboxing which acts as a replacement for sparring.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Sanchin and kata may/may nt be good. Back on topic of this damned punch!
    Also, if sanchin is some conditioning thingy, its just a more cool way to do yoga type stuff.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 9:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanchin is one of the best Kata's there is. but it's almost useless for rela life application outside of standing in such a way to make it hard for someone to come up from behind and kick you in the balls.

If done correctly it is an amazing work out that's like doing crunches and situps at the same time.

it also increases your breathing and breathing from the diaphram which as I have learned from grappling and being compressed often is very helpfull.

When I had to do som pilates to help my back I was amazed at the simillarities between the excercises and sanchin as pilates is slow controlled movement and deep breathing.

So to some up sanchin is good for stamina, breathing and excercising your core and limbs at the same time and is a great excercise.

i often wonder if getting rid of japanes names would help clear things up. If this was called "Slow core breathing excercise" no one would make stupid comments about it.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Did not expect this topic to explode.

I agree with Goju-Joe even though Goju-Ryu committed the blasphemy of changing the kata because their Glorious Grand Poobah had a chronic problem with constipation. . . .

I daily pray for him before my shrine to my Glorious Grand Poohbah--who, according to legend--leaped out of his death bed to perform the Perfect Sanchin [Tm.--Ed.].

This feat is all the more miraculous considering he was in a kidney-failure coma. . . .

Then he killed a bull . . . and stuff.

It is an exercise. It is/was always a tool. There are some who obsess on kata like a musician obsesses on rudiments.

Glorious Grand Poohbah apparently did state that "all is in Sanchin," but what a lot of proponents who parrot that statement forget is he meant it as a foundation. As I have blathered on other threads, he primarily practiced kumite.

The "classic" position of the hands/arms are pretty much that of a bare-knuckle boxer without any degree of "blading"--if that is the correct term. As one student of him put it, do not mistake the "ideal" for reality. In kumite, fighters do not fight in a "full on" position for obvious reasons. Neither did GGP.

To give another example: the basic strike of Sanchin was not changed into a punch as the GodlessCommieHatersofOurFreedomGoju-Infidels because the rational was, "what is the point?" "You don't know how to make a fist? You need a kata for that?" The strike is at a neutral height. I have witnessed all sort of "explanations" that the strike is to some "death point" in the shoulder--I have even heard one idiot proclaim you could "dislocate" the shoulder with it.

Sure. . . .

This totally misses the point. It is an ideal. In REALITY you can strike with whatever and wherever is practicable.

A lot of myth comes from--as devil puts it--too much thinking. The "SuperSekritBreathing" was, according to GGP--"breath when you need to."

But NO! Americans and the analytical amongst the Okinawans demanded to know how to breath "right." So, at some point, Son of GGP--Imperious Grand Poohbah came up with a rubrik to try to emphasize the wisdom "hey, like, don't hold your breath in a fight and don't, like, over-breath."

Idiots are still debating this rubrik which was only an artificial guide.

Moving from the frankly natural hand position of: "hey, stupid, keep your hands up, what do you think this is, TKD?!!" people obsess over minutia.

Minutia matters only if you are sacrificing power and speed.

The other reason it is so simple is to allow one to concentrate on things like body mechanics, because it is, like, gee whilikers, difficult to think of such things in kumite. Why do boxers practice combinations? So they are second-nature in sparing. There is nothing "magical" about the combination practice.

As with all things in Martial Arts, it is the LARP'rs that make everything silly.

--J.D.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 10:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Doctor X.

You have the real Taekwondo.

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 6:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why . . . do you write . . . such . . . hurtful things?!!

--J.D.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 6:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For DerAuslander, love and pain are two sides of the same coin. It's a germanic thing.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 12:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love you guys.

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 3:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that is just . . . well . . . gay. . . .

Not . . . that there is anything . . . you know. . . .

--J.D.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doctor X has said it all really...
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast