Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 11:57am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    hl1978, ronin actually posted something interesting on Sanchin on TMA.org. I personally don't care for kata, but he has some interesting ideas, and modifications to the kata.

Cool I will check it out.

As for kata, I have a feeling the way most people practice kata does suck, and because they are practicing it in such a manner they aren't getting much out of it. This results on spending too much time on a questionable activty (questionable because of how it is trained), which could be time better spent sparring (which argueably they could learn more from based upon how kata is trained).

After my last training trip to japan, I did have a realization that there was something in kata that I hadn't been able to develop just from hitting a heavy bag. I'm not talking about learning new techniques, just different bodymechanics. You don't have to do kata in order to develop this skill, but it does seem to be one way to do so, provided someone shows you how.

As a result of this sort of training, I would say I can hit harder than I could before. I just can't do it consistantly because it doesnt feel like natural movement. If you know sanchin you know what I mean.
    If you want to see what I am talking about check out Upyu's article on the front page.
    Last edited by hl1978; 9/06/2006 12:00pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=ojgsxr6]According to whom, is it a waste of time? Do you know what the purpose of Sanchin is? Do you know why he is trying to analyze Sanchin?

Me, yes, yes.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Devil, have you ever learned Sanchin ?
    Yes again.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Cool I will check it out.

As for kata, I have a feeling the way most people practice kata does suck, and because they are practicing it in such a manner they aren't getting much out of it. This results on spending too much time on a questionable activty (questionable because of how it is trained), which could be time better spent sparring (which argueably they could learn more from based upon how kata is trained).

After my last training trip to japan, I did have a realization that there was something in kata that I hadn't been able to develop just from hitting a heavy bag. I'm not talking about learning new techniques, just different bodymechanics. You don't have to do kata in order to develop this skill, but it does seem to be one way to do so, provided someone shows you how.

As a result of this sort of training, I would say I can hit harder than I could before. I just can't do it consistantly because it doesnt feel like natural movement. If you know sanchin you know what I mean.
    If you want to see what I am talking about check out Upyu's article on the front page.

Glad you found the "real kata".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Glad you found the "real kata".
    Thanks.

Now if we could get back onto the subject of punching in such a manner.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, I read some of Upyu's article. Then I fell asleep due to boredom.

The problem I see is not necessarily with his (or your) ideas. You may search and search and find some deeper physiological truths while pontificating about how power is generated, or while analyzing sanchin kata in every nauseatingly minute detail. But you will have wasted your time during this pursuit of the holy grail of body mechanics.

Why? Because you don't become a capable fighter by intellectualizing everything. You become a capable fighter by hitting stuff, hitting people, getting hit, grappling against fully resisting opponents, resistance training, cardio training, etc. It's that simple. It's not rocket science.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, hl978. I agree with devil but just read why. Devil, don't be an ass. Sanchin may be a waste of time but you must know why it is a waste of time.

The punching you are talking about is most likely stronger/more penetrating BECAUSE:

by turning the elbow crease out(like you described it, elbow pointing to chest and all) you are ensuring that the punch is "tight". It allows more muscles to be used in the punch(as opposed to a mostly tricep punch when the elbow is flared out, you now have the whole body behind the punch, muscle wise you get more shoulder and chest muscle groups into the punch).

However your normal punches should already be keeping the elbow tight to the body and so the sanchin punch shouldn't feel much more powerfull. This tells me that your likely punching normally with a flared elbow.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    blah blah blah ...

Why? Because you don't become a capable fighter by intellectualizing everything. You become a capable fighter by hitting stuff, hitting people, getting hit, grappling against fully resisting opponents, resistance training, cardio training, etc. It's that simple. It's not rocket science.
    I agree with the above statement about 72.563 % . If you want to be capable ( which is a worthy goal itself ) .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=LI GUY 1]Devil, don't be an ass.

I hereby piss on kata and all it's practitioners. How's that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    OK, hl978. I agree with devil but just read why. Devil, don't be an ass. Sanchin may be a waste of time but you must know why it is a waste of time.

The punching you are talking about is most likely stronger/more penetrating BECAUSE:

by turning the elbow crease out(like you described it, elbow pointing to chest and all) you are ensuring that the punch is "tight". It allows more muscles to be used in the punch(as opposed to a mostly tricep punch when the elbow is flared out, you now have the whole body behind the punch, muscle wise you get more shoulder and chest muscle groups into the punch).

However your normal punches should already be keeping the elbow tight to the body and so the sanchin punch shouldn't feel much more powerfull. This tells me that your likely punching normally with a flared elbow.

I already punch with the elbow next to the body, this is just a bit more of a rotation of the elbow, I think a picture might be helpful to show the orientation.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast