Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 10:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need help finding good walking shoes.

I live in los angeles. I'd prefer it if you listed good shoe stores where I might find it. Most shoes are crappy and over-priced because stupid kids just focus on looks or what's popular, this makes it hard to find quality shoes.. I want some shoes that are good for walking at a brisk place, promote foot health and are durable, price is not an issue.
    P.S. I posted this on this forum because there are a lot of great posters that really know what they're doing.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakujutsu
    I, price is not an issue.
    I hope so because that's exactly what I was going to say.

If you want for joggging than I recommend whatever there is to cushion the shocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 5:39pm

Style: Shoot Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend a shop that tests your walking gait and then matches you with a shoe that will support you.

I used to get hectic shin splints when I went for runs, I thought it was because my leg endurance was ****. Well I went to Athletes Foot (in Australia) to get my walking gait tested. They found out that I rolled my ankle slightly when I walked and my old shoes gave me no protection. They matched me up with a shoe that has extra padding in the arch, so now running is no problem.

The shoes cost slightly more than average, but well worth it. If you have a simular store in America, I highly recommend it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I decided to find the info by myself. I just need you guys to confirm that this is a good guide http://walking.about.com/cs/shoes/a/shoeguide.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I sell speciatly fitness equipment, and often refer walkers/runners to certain shoe stores, just like anything else there are specialty shoe stores out there and Im certain that you could find several in your are by doing a google search or getting out the trusty phone book. The store that I get my running shoes from and that I recommend my clients to is called "The Charlotte Running Co."
    When you go to a specialty store they will qualify you by asking what your going to be doing in these shoes, how active you are and how many miles a week you will be using them for. They will than put you in a "trial" pair of shoes and throw ya on a treadmill to videotade the way that you walk, to see if your gate is ok and to see if you under or over pronate your foot. They will than put you into a pair of shoes to best meet your needs. Normally the shoes there like Brocks ad Sauconys will run any where from $60.00-$85.00

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 10:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to qualify myself, I custom fit athletic shoes for Footworks Inc. in Louisville, KY for 2.5 years. I've got a pretty strong hold on what I'm talking about.

Here's what ya do... first off, for any walking/jogging/running, always buy a running shoe. They're more comfortable, lighter, and have better cushioning because they're meant to be run in, so they add more. Most importantly, you will want to go to a shoe store that looks at your feet as jujitsujock mentioned, but they don't have to videotape you or anything like that. It is as simple as noticing the change in your foot structure from when you don't have weight on your feet (sitting) to when you do have weight on your feet (standing). There are several things that the person will look for, most noticibly, the drop in the calcaneal (sp?) bone towards the floor (in terms of overall distance traveled/change in degrees), the basic structure of your foot, high strong arch, middle avg arch, middle strong, low strong, low weak, the overall depth/thickness of your foot, how wide it is, and finally length. Make sure they fit the right amount of control/structure underneath your foot for the type of foot structure you have. If you haven't had a good pair of shoes before, you might not want to get the full-on mack-daddy control shoe (like the Brooks Beast) for your first pair. You might have to work up to them, because motion-control shoes are really stiff and if you need that support but have never had it, you won't be able to bend the shoe easily and you'll wear yourself out.

Make sure to get your foor measured to the ball of your foot, not just the end of your longest toe. A lot of times, your arch length is different than your toe length and that is how you might need to fit your shoes (WARNING: They may feel huge. That's normal) The secret is getting the widest part of your foot (the ball of the foot) on the widest part of the shoe, which often means getting your shoes longer than you're used to. Also from there, know that width does not mean width when buying a shoe (unless you are in a few select models from Asics, and I think maybe Brooks in a 4E). When a shoe says that it is "wide" what it actually means is that it is "deep". The base of the shoe in a size 10 D (medium) and a size 10 2E (wide) is THE EXACT SAME. The only difference is that the mesh upper, the material part of the shoe, is deeper and they've added material. So if you have a thick, Fred Flintstone looking foot, you're going to need a "wide" (deep) shoe, but if you have a foot like a piece of shaved ham (thin foot) like me, buy a "narrow" (shallow). Also, to make sure the shoe is truly wide enough, turn the shoe over and look at the base. How wide is the base of the shoe? If you can place your foot on the bottom of the shoe, and not have any parts hanging over, then the base is wide enough. But if you have a wide foot and the base tapers too much in the arch, or at the ball of the foot, or what have you, then you are going to hang over the edge of the base of the shoe and it will create friction blisters and all sorts of nasty irritation.

That was a quick overview. There is a lot more information that I could share if you care to be bored some more. Basically, find a shop that pays attention to you and doesn't try to sell you anything but rather tries to help you.

I would stick with these running shoe companies: Saucony, Brooks, New Balance, Asics. There are a couple of others, but I like the shoes these companies offer the best.

Try a bunch of shoes on to see which feel the best. Wear one shoe on one foot and another company on the other.

Your feet are two different sizes. Fit your larger foot.

Don't think, "This kinda feels weird, but they will break in." A shoe should feel perfect from the moment you put it on. There is NO breaking in of a running shoe, they're good to go right out of the box.

Also, like jujitsujock said, $60-$85 is about right, but depending on your foot you might spend about $95. Unless you have serious issues and need super-extra padding, support, etc. don't buy the $115-$140 shoes, odds are you don't need 'em.

I hope I've helped ya, and if you want anymore info, I've got my e-mail addy on here and you are more than welcome to drop me a line.

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 10:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and make sure to visit different stores in town, not all stores carry the same styles, even though they carry the same companies!
    Last edited by Brando511; 9/07/2006 10:41am at .