Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 4:43am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't they teach muay thai?

can't be that bad if they compete in bando ... hmmmm
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 7:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While getting ready to train BJJ, there is an essential regim// remigie// regi//screwitit'searly

plan to follow.

Squat thrusts.
    And milk!

(seriously, work on your ability to breath hard, your ab muscles which will be brutalized otherwise, and if possible, your pain threshold and awareness of such, better people than I can give advice on these)

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caldje

p.s. is it possible to learn BJJ on your own, or at least the basics? I have a training partner but am not sure if we should even try.

thanks
    Well. Im gonna go ahead and say nooooo. However, if you are going to try it, I suggest you purchase a copy of the Kama Sutra. Almost all of the BJJ curiculum can be found therein

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 9:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tee hee hee! I made a joke implying similarity between BJJ and sex! No one has EVER done that here before!

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 9:49pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad about the six month contract. If you can't get out of it. Either suck it up, quit and do BJJ/MMA anyway OR use this whatever school to improve your cardio and flexibility. Lift weights on the side. At least then the six months won't be a complete waste.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 11:02pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What affiliate did you join? The gym I train at in Cincinnati is affiliated with TAMA as well and my gym is pretty damn good. We get serious MT instruction 4 nights a week, cardio conditioning 4 nights aweek, MMA and grappling 2-3 nights a week, BJJ with a gi 1 night a week. I can go to as many classes as I want, if I want to compete I have the option of doing so. We have a lot of guys that compete regularly in MMA (amateur level), and some MMA pros as well. I am also locked into a 1 year contract at $75 bucks a month, but it is well worth it.

I have heard that the main school is a bit Mcdojoish, and I have heard some negative things about the owner, Taningco. Basically I heard that if you are not exceptional than he won't put much time into teaching you personally, he'll just let his other senior students give you instruction. I have never met him myself, this is only what I've heard.

When I first moved to Cincinnati I found that he had an affiliate here and e-mailed him directly to ask about the school. He did not try to give me any sales pitch or try to convince me to come to his school in Dayton, he sent me a cordial response thanking me for my interest and then gave me the contact info of his affiliate in Cincy and said that the instructor there was very qualified and ran a good school.

What are you studying? I know that at my school the only students that study the Kempo are children. Adults study the MT, MMA, or Grappling classes.

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 11:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok.. ill update a bit. I emailed master taningco and asked if i could join in on his grappling class for free since Im a meber of his affiliated school that does not teach grappling. He said no, but I can come check it out thur and see if I like it and if so its 15 bucks a lesson. I am a member of the middletown school and although I dont think its a mcdojo I would really like to learn some grappling as well. Its a very friendly place and I am not unhappy i am there, I just want some grappling training. I would also like to compete in gi BJJ competition vs. doing forms and point sparring in kempo. I am taking kempo and aikijitsu at my school. Both are a lot of fun and the kempo is a really good workout. They also have "cardio kickboxing" which I might get involved in. I am going to to thur and hang out with master taningco and see what that grappling class is like. I dont think what is going on at any of the schools is bullshido I just know that the "kempo jujitsu" I am learning is of limited application and would like to have a broader understanding of fighting along with the competitions that grappling offers. If your school would allow an "affiliate" to join in on BJJ w/gi on occasion i would love to know. At this point in my martial arts training its just not worth another 80 bucks a month to study BJJ. I would rather, as you guys have said, learn kempo/aikijitsu for 6 months and then start grappling training. I currently do circuit training 3-4 times a week and heavy lift/cardio the other days. I am in college (PA school) so I am also pretty busy with that. I am already in decent shape so I can just keep pushing harder. MY flexibility has come a long way as well. Anyways, Ive been rambling on. To sum everything up.

I am not unhappy where I am, i just want a little more. I am upset I signed a contract, it wasnt worth the money I saved per month and I would love it if I could train grappling at an affiliate school for little or no cost but cant find such a thing. Even though jorge gurgel offers free lessons to all his affiliate members.. which I think is very honorable. Oh well. Like I said, I have plenty to learn from anyone who will teach me and can certainly use the conditioning so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you guys up to date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:16am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caldje
    ok.. ill update a bit. I emailed master taningco and asked if i could join in on his grappling class for free since Im a meber of his affiliated school that does not teach grappling. He said no, but I can come check it out thur and see if I like it and if so its 15 bucks a lesson. I am a member of the middletown school and although I dont think its a mcdojo I would really like to learn some grappling as well. Its a very friendly place and I am not unhappy i am there, I just want some grappling training. I would also like to compete in gi BJJ competition vs. doing forms and point sparring in kempo. I am taking kempo and aikijitsu at my school. Both are a lot of fun and the kempo is a really good workout. They also have "cardio kickboxing" which I might get involved in. I am going to to thur and hang out with master taningco and see what that grappling class is like. I dont think what is going on at any of the schools is bullshido I just know that the "kempo jujitsu" I am learning is of limited application and would like to have a broader understanding of fighting along with the competitions that grappling offers. If your school would allow an "affiliate" to join in on BJJ w/gi on occasion i would love to know. At this point in my martial arts training its just not worth another 80 bucks a month to study BJJ. I would rather, as you guys have said, learn kempo/aikijitsu for 6 months and then start grappling training. I currently do circuit training 3-4 times a week and heavy lift/cardio the other days. I am in college (PA school) so I am also pretty busy with that. I am already in decent shape so I can just keep pushing harder. MY flexibility has come a long way as well. Anyways, Ive been rambling on. To sum everything up.

I am not unhappy where I am, i just want a little more. I am upset I signed a contract, it wasnt worth the money I saved per month and I would love it if I could train grappling at an affiliate school for little or no cost but cant find such a thing. Even though jorge gurgel offers free lessons to all his affiliate members.. which I think is very honorable. Oh well. Like I said, I have plenty to learn from anyone who will teach me and can certainly use the conditioning so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you guys up to date.
    just do the bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 3:38am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn man! Do the BJJ for crying out loud!! The teacher is very experienced, as the website says : "Master Taningco is a Certified Kempo Jiu-Jitsu Instructor under Master Gasper, Dan Zan-Ryu-Jiu-Jitsu under Professor Ancso. He is also trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu".
    Howly Mowly~ That has to be the first time I've ever heard of "kempo jiu jitsu", I've heard of kempo karate, american kempo, and even american chinese kempo karate, but never that. And dan zan-ryu makes me think of the deadly danzig-ryu.

But nevermind that, he is also trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. By who I don't know, but who cares anyway? He has t3h deadly kempo jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 6:54am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaku
    Damn man! Do the BJJ for crying out loud!! The teacher is very experienced, as the website says : "Master Taningco is a Certified Kempo Jiu-Jitsu Instructor under Master Gasper, Dan Zan-Ryu-Jiu-Jitsu under Professor Ancso. He is also trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu".
    Howly Mowly~ That has to be the first time I've ever heard of "kempo jiu jitsu", I've heard of kempo karate, american kempo, and even american chinese kempo karate, but never that. And dan zan-ryu makes me think of the deadly danzig-ryu.

But nevermind that, he is also trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. By who I don't know, but who cares anyway? He has t3h deadly kempo jiu-jitsu.

Come on by then ass-wipe and we'll show you just how deadly it is...LOL

Seriously, Kempo Jujitsu is just karate with Icho Ryu Aikijustu (from Daito Ryu Aikijustsu) throws and locks.

Our head instructor for the BJJ also has a Judo and Sambo ranking. He's a fireman on WPAFB on the third shift, so he doesn't get to teach all that much lately. The Asst instructor (Charles) recently got his black and formerly trained under Jorge Gurgel.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast