Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ive been had?

anyone care to share with me their thoughts on how i've been had by joining a school that teaches tama ryu kemp jutsu and aikijutsu? Here is the parent school. www.tamamartialarts.com

I enjoy the place, its fun and a good workout. The people are really nice as well but Im thinking i might have made a mistake. Oh well, its good exercise at least and I get to practice kicking and punching. Some neat techniques too, but are they useful?

p.s. is it possible to learn BJJ on your own, or at least the basics? I have a training partner but am not sure if we should even try.

thanks

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caldje
    is it possible to learn BJJ on your own
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for as long as this stays in ymas instead of newbietown... i wish you well.

is it possible to learn BJJ on your own, or at least the basics? I have a training partner but am not sure if we should even try.
    where are you? there's probably an actual bjj school near you, and if not, there's judo, wrestling, they mythical sambo...

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just . . . kill yourself!!

Welcome to Bullshido!

Two drink minimum. . . .

You have "balls" to post this out in the open and not in the "friendly" confines of NewbieTown. So before everyone descends on you with "SEARCH FUNCTION Newbie" let me take your question seriously.

This:

will probably end up in a "Pictures of Disaster" thread and the knife defence gif on the front page will probably generate some "comments" as well.

Since I am enjoying a nice beer and feel magnanimous. let me ask you "what" is your goal in martial arts? That is an important question, and you have to be honest about it.

I would think BJJ would be one of the LAST things you could learn "on your own" since it is inherently a partner-based system. All decent systems are, of course. While you can practice basics of punching, kicking, and the like, you really need someone who knows what they are doing to correct you, and you certainly need a non-complaint opponent to challenge you. I, myself, have INVINCIBLE kicks against air!

The school is in Dayton, Ohio. I assume you are in that region. Others HERE can recommend schools in the area--particular BJJ--but a quick "Google-Fu" reveals:

University of Ohio, Dayton

Now, I have no idea about the quality, but someone HERE might, and if you contact them they may be able to direct you to a good school if BJJ is what you want.

I could not find the cost on the web-page--which is always a concern, in my opinion--I notice it claims to teach BJJ about twice a week. I also notice it claims to teach a whole slew of things. That always concerns me, frankly.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eeeeaaaasssy fellas.

lol. Look, I was looking for good exercise and a little learnin' on punching and kicking. I am not at that school either. I posted the link to the PARENT school. I didnt even know they were affiliated until after i joined.

Yes, I have a very good BJJ school right by where I live and regret not joining it first but was intimidated because it is owned by an awesome MMA (UFC) fighter and produces some strong competitors. I did not want to jump into the martial arts in that situation.

As far as learning BJJ on your "own." I did say I had a training partner. I asked and I already knew the answer. Read my post... I know whats going on. I did not even know my school was affiliated with the place I posted the link to until recently.

Also, surely everything offers something. I am sure i will get something out of my training there.
    Last edited by caldje; 9/04/2006 12:32am at .

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by caldje
    eeeeaaaasssy fellas.
    You have to provide your own AstroGlide. . . .

Yes, I have a very good BJJ school right by where I live and regret not joining it first but was intimidated because it is owned by an awesome MMA (UFC) fighter and produces some strong competitors. I did not want to jump into the martial arts in that situation.
    Why not? Seriously. No reason you cannot talk to the instructor, discuss with him what you want, and go from there. I would much rather learn from someone of proven ability. Do you think he is just going to "pretzel" you head into your ass the first day? Everyone has to start somewhere. If he is not interested in a beginner who is not built like the veritable brick ****-house, et cetera he will tell you. Also, the experienced teachers have far better control because . . . OMFG!!!!111!!!111 they know what they are doing!

As oppose to two fools trying to figure it out!

In fact . . . if you have the opportunity to learn from an experienced teacher like that . . . and you can afford it . . . and you DO NOT then you are wasting everyone's time and you should KILL YOURSELF!

As far as learning BJJ on your "own." I did say I had a training partner. I asked and I already knew the answer. Read my post... I know whats going on. I did not even know my school was affiliated with the place I posted the link to until recently.
    Son, not only has your post been read, I had to order another beer to remove the after taste . . . man . . . that chick with the scars is HOT!! You asked the question. No need to be embarrassed by the answer!

Look, this place is filled with people who "went to the wrong school," "studied the wrong system," or, Heaven's to Betsy, studied Aikido [Stop that!--Ed.] If you take criticism personally no one can help you.

Also, surely everything offers something. I am sure i will get something out of my training there.
    As I am sure I can get a really interesting and drug-resistant disease from that girl.

The question is "do you want it?"

The next question is "is it worth it?"

--J.D.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok... ok.. good posts.

then, how do I get my money back? They pushed me into a 6 month contract!

Or, should I just wait it out and train there for 6 months and switch to the very respectable BJJ school afterwards?

p.s. yes, i was scared.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 12:58am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at the back of the contract, it should have language telling you how much time you have to cancel. If your time to cancel is up, ride the six months out, using the time to increase your cardio.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 1:02am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the school offers grappling, switch to their grappling class for your remaining time in the contract. You should learn something.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read well the words of Samuel . . . he writes great wisdom!

--J.D.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast