Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 10:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Looking around

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heat or Ice for old boxer fractures?

My right hand has had "boxer fractures" twice so it gets sore at times. Unfortunately as I get older it has been getting worse. So is it cold or heat that I am supposed to use to increase mobility and reduce pain. Heavy bag work sucks in the cold or when it rains. Anybody else with this problem have any tips? I have begun training hard again and dont want to get slowed down with an injury, new or old.Is this going to make it prone to arthritis? Anybody else here in the 40 year old range and still training?

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 11:12pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    My right hand has had "boxer fractures" twice so it gets sore at times. Unfortunately as I get older it has been getting worse. So is it cold or heat that I am supposed to use to increase mobility and reduce pain. Heavy bag work sucks in the cold or when it rains. Anybody else with this problem have any tips? I have begun training hard again and dont want to get slowed down with an injury, new or old.Is this going to make it prone to arthritis? Anybody else here in the 40 year old range and still training?
    Whether or not it's prone to arthritis will depend a lot on whether the fracture involved the joint or was just to the shaft of the bone. Any fracture involving a joint pretty much means it's going to get arthritis later on. If you're in your 40's you've probably already got it. An XRay may clarify.

An old injury like that without any recent inflammatory signs you're probably better off using heat. Use wraps under your gloves or tape your hands and use a heavier glove than you otherwise would have. You should also understand that if there's arthritis there then you have a finite number of punches left in that hand. You may want to consider mixing up your training a bit more - kicks, elbows, palm strikes, speedbag etc. - depending on your style.