Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's right you know.
    There are also movement drills that I would not be able to explain that are great for armbars from the mount.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 1:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy a good shoulder choke from mount

A good sub for the huskier gentlman

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 8:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the mount armbar is a good, solid, high percentage move, my training partners use it all the time. However, for me the back transition seems to be a higher percentage and safer move. After pinning the arm, you can try to put on the behind the head kimura grip without risking your position in the least, so a failed back transition doesn't really cost you anything, whereas a failed armbar costs you the mount, and you may even end up in a bad position yourself.

After securing the kimura grip around the head, I've never once failed to get to the back, and I usually followup with an armbar attempt from there anyway, which seems to be easier to get than from the mount.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    Hi,

Theres a backstory to why I'm asking this but basically I suck at submissions but seem to have ok positional skills by comparison, this is especially true when it comes to no gi work.

I'm curious what you think are high percentage submissions from mount, guard and side control (Your choice of form), I'm going to ask my instructor when I train next but thats a couple of weeks away now and I don't want to forget before then.

I also want to know if anyone else has gone though this? Currently everyone at the club I train with is better than me but I still get mount and side control on them (Not as often as they get it on me but with some regularity still, could be because I'm bigger than most of the guys?) But once I get there I tend to just see hands glued tight in and no opportunity to free up an arm for a sub.

Oh, another posibility I considered is that I didn't do the normal thing of going upagainst other newbs when I started grappling so I didn't ever get to go through a stage where I got to use the basic subs in sparring succesfully, I just don't have very much experience at all of tapping people out.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions welcome.

My two cents:

I could never get an armbar to save my life. Everyone else could except me. I couldn't even get one on a total noob. I got tired of it and decided to just go for armbars and nothing but armbars for a time. Eventually I started getting really good at it and eventually I started getting a lot of triangle chokes because a lot of defenses to an armbar put your opponent in prime position for a triangle choke.

What have we learned. Simply put, work on finding a submission you can do from any position. An armbar is a good start because you can pull it from guard, side control, mount, north/south, the back, the turtle, etc. Find different ways to work this one submission and then work the next. Then chain those two together from all of those different positions. Then find a third that you can do in multiple positions and then add it to the first and second.

I would go for armbar, triangle choke, omaplata. The armbar and triangle choke have been high percentage submissions for me for a while. I've only gotten the omaplata maybe twice in over a year. However it tends to work a high percentage of the time as a sweep. Because my armbars are dangerous, people defend them brutally and I end up with the triangle and because my triangles are getting dangerous, people defend that and leave themselves open to omaplatas or other moves.

Eventually you will see it, just keep trying. Like I said previously, start with one move and make it work in multiple positions.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    My two cents:

I could never get an armbar to save my life. Everyone else could except me. I couldn't even get one on a total noob. I got tired of it and decided to just go for armbars and nothing but armbars for a time. Eventually I started getting really good at it and eventually I started getting a lot of triangle chokes because a lot of defenses to an armbar put your opponent in prime position for a triangle choke.

What have we learned. Simply put, work on finding a submission you can do from any position. An armbar is a good start because you can pull it from guard, side control, mount, north/south, the back, the turtle, etc. Find different ways to work this one submission and then work the next. Then chain those two together from all of those different positions. Then find a third that you can do in multiple positions and then add it to the first and second.

I would go for armbar, triangle choke, omaplata. The armbar and triangle choke have been high percentage submissions for me for a while. I've only gotten the omaplata maybe twice in over a year. However it tends to work a high percentage of the time as a sweep. Because my armbars are dangerous, people defend them brutally and I end up with the triangle and because my triangles are getting dangerous, people defend that and leave themselves open to omaplatas or other moves.

Eventually you will see it, just keep trying. Like I said previously, start with one move and make it work in multiple positions.
    I will completely endorse this advice. One of the most common submissions used at any level is the armbar and the other basic techniques that are along the same attack theme (triangle, umaplata). They are high percentage at any level and if you watch a bunch of high level grappling matches, you will probably see many people use them.

My personal suggestion is limit all rolls to one or 2 specific submissions and one basic theme. I use a month to do training like this and it has helped a lot. Sometimes a month is not enough for certain skills and it may take longer (throws and complicated takedowns).

For example, this month is Ude Garami, Arm triangles and half guard sweeps. I am starting every roll from half guard or under side control if I am rolling with a person I can handle easily. It is forcing me to learn half guard stuff very fast and it is pushing me away from the comfort of closed guard.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234