Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 1:05pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    That is the essence of grappling right there. Start stringing sub attempts together to open up the limbs you need.

Start a forearm choke from mount to get him to push you away and expose an arm for juji gatame.

When he resists an ude garame, straighten the arm out for a straight elbow lock.

Nobody just hands you a limb for a sub. You have to set them up. the internet is not a good medium to convey this. Ask your instructor to show you some strings.
    Sounds like a good idea, will try to remember to ask about stringing subs together next time I train, sounds a lot better than going up to him and just telling him that I suck at submissions.

:5thanks:

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 2:16pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start a forearm choke from mount to get him to push you away and expose an arm for juji gatame.
    Aesopian posted an excellent video by some Gracie on this setup. I'll try and find it.

edit - Here it is!
    http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...6&ctime=151749
    Last edited by MEGALEF; 9/02/2006 2:20pm at .

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 3:46pm

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Armbar, triangle, rear choke, americana, kimura, omoplata and guillotine in that order for me.

In this forum I can fix your horrendous punctuation. Praise God.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 9/02/2006 4:11pm at .
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 4:30pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get alot of new white belts with the passing baseball bat choke. Where I prepare a baseball bat choke and then let them pass my guard and then choke the hell out of them.

On this one big dude I roll with, I get the pillow choke on him alot.

I also tend to get the paper cutter alot as well.

It changes from time to time as my game is always on the move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 10:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm mainly a guard player. I can hold position on the top and transition pretty well from side across to mount, north/south, and take the back, but I'm not that good at finishing from the top. I can however, finish from the bottom pretty decently. What I like to do is threaten with a gi choke (which there are like 5 different ones from guard) and then when they leave an opening, I like to go to my favorite finishing setup: The Triangle Choke. The Triangle is such a great position from the guard. You can finish them with the triangle, sweep to mounted triangle (which then opens up many possibilities), Triangle to ankle sweep (If they stand up to defend), Triangle to Armbar, Triangle to Omoplata, Triangle to Armbar to Omoplata, Triangle to Omoplata sweep to armbar etc. The possibilities are endless. The key is to string together submissions into a "Lock Flow", so that when they defend the first sub attempt, immediately transition to the next sub or sweep to finish them, or end up with better position.
    Last edited by FLMikeATT; 9/02/2006 10:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many many triangles from just guard..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 11:40pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From mount:
    -Juji-gatame. If you can't get juji from mount you need to stop rolling with better players and drill this. This is basic. Master it.

-Ezekiel, or collar choke. Same as above. Stop rolling with better players and master this.

From side control (yoko shiho gatame):
    -Americana (ude garame) and kimura (reverse ude garame).

-You should also be able to transition to juji gatame from here.

-Kesa gatame shime (scarf choke). I sound like a broken record, bu this is judo 101 **** right here. If you cannot do these things you need to STOP ROLLING WITH THE BLACK BELTS!

From guard:
    -Sankaku jime (triangle choke). This is trickier than it looks, but works a lot.

-Juji gatame. IF you can't do this from guard, guess what? STOP ROLLING WITH BLACK BELTS!

I am not rying to get your goat here, but basic grappling comes first. Drill these with someone of comparable skill level until you can do them all easily. THEN go smoke a black belt. It's fun...they get all pissy when you sneak something on them. Good times.

But these are the basics IMNSHO. Know 'em, love'em.
    Dang...that's pretty much my arsenal of submissions right there. If there was something called "BJJ 101" that would be the first year sylabus. Nice post...gives me something to compare with.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 1:05am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Scrapper said, only rarely will someone give up obvious submissions after they've trained for a while. You need to learn set ups and combinations of submission attempts.

This is a good example:
    http://www.groundfighter.com/uploads.../Saulo%201.WMV
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Practicing flow drills is good for transitioning to different submissions. From armar, to crucifix, to triangle, (might be a little mixed up this morning)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2006 2:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    It sounds like you just suck. This isn't a question that a remotely competent grappler asks after a year of training. It should've been drilled into your head by now to armbar, triangle choke and keylock these guys. Find an instructor that doesn't suck and a club that doesn't suck and you may improve at some point. Until then, it sounds like you might as well just crapple.
    Straight to the heart of the matter.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast