Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 8:17am

Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

adding deadlifts

I'm wanting to add deadlifts to workouts. I know about keeping form and what not but I was wondering what kind you guys used and what kind you would recommend. Not noob to lifting, just to DL.

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 10:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on body style. Tall, short, fat, long arms, Down Syndrome, all these things play an important factor. I have a pdf file called deadlift101 sent to me by Lights Out. I don't know if it's free or not. There's 3 main types of deadlifts. Sumo, Semi Sumo and Regular. Once you get the concept of a straight up and down form right, try legs shoulder width apart deadlift, then begin spreading your legs more each deadlift. Find what's confortable for you, and go with it. Then you can do different things with the type. Rack Pulls, Alternate Grip, Clean Pulls, all sorts of fun.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, TKD, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want info on deadlifting head over to T-Nation (www.t-nation.com). There's so much info on deadlifts over there I don't which article to point you to first. Sorry if that doesn't help much.

If you're lifting 4x per week then you should be deadlifting twice and squatting twice per week. If you're deadlifting twice per week then I would do regular deadlifts on one routine and sumo deadlifts on the other routine. Romanian DLs and Stiff-Legged DLs can be mixed in as they serve well as assitance exercises.

In designing a program I would put oly lifts, DLs, Squats, and pullups first as I feel they are the most demanding and fatigueing. A sample might look like:
    Snatch / Power Clean
    DL / Squat
    Lunge / Stepups
    Pullup / Chinups
    Bench / Overhead Press
    RDL / Stiff Leg DL
    Bent Row/ Cable Row

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 8:06pm

Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure does. I'll check out T-nation too. Thanks

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The DL'ing twice per week is going to depend on your training regimin and what phase you're in. While T-nation is great, it does have a lot of dogmatic bs in it as well. I lift three times per week in my current phase and I do DL's once per week. In my eyes I think DL's should be kept heavy and at low repetitions to keep form. Also it gets incredibly boring to do tons of DL's. I make sure to get them done and then do my tertiary lifts to work the areas that I'm concentrating on that day, which in that case would be the back and shoulders.

My advice would be to try as many DL variations as possible to find what you like and what continually keeps you advancing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, TKD, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tripp: Since you're new to T-Nation I suggest you begin by reading the articles which are written credible trainers all across the USA. I'm a big fan of Chad Waterbury and Alwyn Cosgrove as I subscribe to their high frequency philosophies. I prefer lifting 4-8 times per week, but thats just me. You should experiment and find what works for you.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/02/2006 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Deadlift 101 article is on DieselCrew.com, made by Rick Walker. Check the Articles section.