Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:05pm

Style: martial

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

blurry vision after BJJ

Hi all, I have noticed that my vision gets blurry after a rigorous BJJ practice, the kind of blurry where I cannot read without getting a headache. can anyone tell me what may be the cause of this? thanks.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes. That's due to exhaustion. I get the same feeling when I'm doing a "hard" leg day at the gym. When I get that, I just slow down. I usually take that as a sign that I need some rest.

It could also be poor nutrition or hydration. Have you tried sipping gatorade, powerade or something sweet (like watered down orange juice)?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:43pm

Style: martial

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    exhaustion or poor nutrition is probably my answer. I just underwent my first week ever of full-time college and full-time work while trying to keep up my training regimen.

a tall cup of cranberry juice with water almost every night.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you sure you weren't rolling with a ninja and got eyepoked!?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep an eye on this bro (no pun intended). About 5 years abo this fall I started feeling that way after lifting weights. Then it started happening just when I was tired no matter what I did. I went to the doctor and he told me I probably busted a blood vessel in the back of my eye that he couldn't see and to take 2 weeks off any physical activity.

Two weeks later I was seeing double-vision 24/7. I went in and a CT scan and MRI later I spent 2 days of testing at the hospital before I got diagnosed with an orbital pseudotumor. It was nasty stuff. I had alot of pressure on my eye and the retinal nerve was starting to detatch. I was put on huge ammounts of steroids and woke up the next morning in full body hives. It took 8mo to get off the steroids and I had horrible crashes when I was coming off them.

Bottom line, don't F around if it's your vision. Get plenty of sleep, eat and hydrate well. If it's not gone in a week contact a doctor ASAP. Take it from me, this stuff is nasty when it gets out of control. Also, if it gets worse and your Dr. brushes you off (like mine did) go to someone else. I had to go to my primary care physician, my optomitrist (2 of them at the practice wound up looking at me cause I bitched when they said it was nothing) then finally to a $1200/hr neuro-opthimologist (spelling?) who FINALLY diagnosed it. The reason it took so long was usually there is terrible pain but I felt nothing at all so no one believed me.

Probably though you're just tired. How long has this gone on for?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:43pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    could be blood sugar as well. Try gatorade during workouts.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:45pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often got blurry vision.

It was either:
    1/not enough water
    2/not enough food
    3/not enough sleep
    4/combination of the above.

Being a former avid gamer wreaked havok on my system. I also had moments where i was really dizzy.

But since i fixed those, i never had blurry vision except after spending alot of time at school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 10:16am

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also you need to make sure your body has enough sodium... gateraid is best to drink ... or a high sodium low sugar drink... or drinking water and then munch on something light - like crackers... you loose alot of salt when sweating and if it is anything like BJJ in the summer, then you sweat alot...even if you drink tons of water it is still not replacing the salt you lost... and therefore you can cause Hyponatremia.