Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 2:09pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

can anyone tell me anything about 'Nam Pai Chuan'?

...its some sort of kung fu, right? my google-do hasnt turned up much; my mate trains it, wont stop going on about it, i think it sounds like tripe tho, especially since one weekend he took them camping on a 'chi-building exercise'

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 2:12pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wiki is God

Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    ...its some sort of kung fu, right? my google-do hasnt turned up much; my mate trains it, wont stop going on about it, i think it sounds like tripe tho, especially since one weekend he took them camping on a 'chi-building exercise'
    Here is a link to a Wiki Article it migh not be acurate since it is Wiki but it is a start. Also looks like a Shaolin based system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nam_Pai_Chuan
    Last edited by Planktime; 9/01/2006 2:15pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, and therefore is 'teh authentic deadly'

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 6:05pm

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odd, I just started talking to a guy on the net about this today. First of all I don't train in Nam Pai Chaun, and haven't been to a class, so there's no way I'm claiming to really know anything about it. However I have good reason to believe it's not a bad style.

My Taekwondo instructor (WAIT! WAIT! Before you switch off altogether just read what I have to say) Master Lye, used to train in Shaolin Nam Pai Chaun and brought it to the
    UK with Sifu Chris Lai from Malaysia. Both of them trained the Malaysian army, and both did TKD and NPC. I believe that Master Lai took training ideas from TKD (such as pad work) and applied it to teaching NPC. Likewise looking at photos of people training in NPC I can see traces of it in the way people fight at our TKD club.

The reason I believe it can't be too bad is that these guys were teaching the Malaysian Army in weapon work. My instructor was teaching knife work, I'm not sure what else, but this stuff had to work as their students would have to use what they'd been taught in life or death situations. They obviously must have been teaching correctly as Master Lye came to the
    UK on a work visa from the government to teach our troops. I would imagine Master Lai had a similar story as they came over together to set up a school and bring the style to the UK.

From this I kind of conclude that the art itself must not be too bad. How it's taught these days across the
    UK I'm not sure as there are a fair amount of schools, so have no idea what the standard is like.

More info can be found at :
    http://www.sussexkungfu.co.uk/history.php#sifulai

and a tiny little bit about my TKD instructor at the bottom of :
    http://www.science.uva.nl/~gadi/Kung-fu.html

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 6:31pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of it, but just from what you've told me I can conlude that it's crap.

Next.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 6:34pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Cullen
    The reason I believe it can't be too bad is that these guys were teaching the Malaysian Army in weapon work. My instructor was teaching knife work, I'm not sure what else, but this stuff had to work as their students would have to use what they'd been taught in life or death situations. They obviously must have been teaching correctly as Master Lye came to the UK on a work visa from the government to teach our troops. I would imagine Master Lai had a similar story as they came over together to set up a school and bring the style to the UK[COLOR=#cccccc][FONT=Verdana].
    Just because it's taught to the military doesn't mean that it works. In fact it often doesn't.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 7:01pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I have a couple of issues of Inside Kung fu where they talk about that stuff. If I remember correctly, its a malasian branch of the Fat Gar Kuen style. Read the article, saw the photos...it seems like white crane to me. One of several offshots of white crane, but still white crane. But that's just my opinion.

nail conditioning

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 7:19pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nearly started a thread on Nam Pai Chuan but didn't think it was worth the trouble, as the org's too small to cause much trouble. Maybe I should have.
    I did it avidly for about a year in 97/98, at the Sussex Uni branch. The classes consist mainly of Tae-Bo style cardio and stretching, forms work, one step sparring and other similar stupid exercises, and a little light contact sparring.

As a Tae Bo class, it's passable, lots of stretching if you want to get flexible, except that one time an instructor stood on my knees during a stretch for the hips/thighs (the one where you have your feet together) and fucked up my hip royally. Took at least 6 months to heal up well.

The forms are ludicrous. Extremely low horse stance and movements with no application whatsoever.

The strikes you learn are also complete yak crap. The main punch is a big lunge, ending up practically on one knee, then you flick the fist so it's pointing at the sky, while chambering the other fist. One classic was the backfist - in horse stance, send one foot deep into opponent's stance while coiling back, then unleash the d34dly backfist. Absolutely absurd. You'll also practice lots of completely useless WuShu stule kicks, such as a "jumping spinning roundhouse"...WTF?
    All of these techniques are useless, and in any case, never applied in sparring.

The sparring was point-sparring with rules similar to TKD, and the general standard, even among 'black belts', was extremely poor.

Students generally end up with a cult mentality, and think that their Kung Fu is the most badass. They are wrong. Apparently, after I left a fairly senior guy came into the class with 2 black eyes. He'd dropped into horse stance to try to take on some dudes who were causing trouble, and very rapidly got a kicking.

The worst thing of all is that I was taught empty hand knife defences which were, in hindsight, utter balls. There was no disclaimer that these techniques probably wouldn't work, and that you should get the hell out of there. Teaching gullible students crap like this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, as it gives them a false sense of security. This was pretty exemplary of the training in general.

Good points: fairly cheap, seems to attract cute chicks. Might be worth going along occasionally to pick some up. But don't think for a second you'll learn how to fight there.
    Last edited by RunningDog; 9/01/2006 7:21pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no intention of training it mate; i train thai; just wondered what it was about coz he goes on like its the fuckin danger;

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 6:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it related to Nam Wai Pa?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast