Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Dr. John Berardi has a pretty good article floating around on the subject."

Yes. yes he does.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/..._nutrition.htm
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 8:28am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eww... I can't stand Gatorade! To me it tastes way too sugary and makes me feel a bit sick. I'd definitely recommend the "Isostar" brand though (www.isostar.com) - buy a big drum of powder and add to some water. Good stuff :D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    Eww... I can't stand Gatorade! To me it tastes way too sugary and makes me feel a bit sick. I'd definitely recommend the "Isostar" brand though (www.isostar.com) - buy a big drum of powder and add to some water. Good stuff :D
    You may not like the taste but the results are undeniable.
    http://www.gssiweb.com/sportsscience...opic.cfm?id=64
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycho...y/gatorade.htm
    http://cfaes.osu.edu/science/library/download.php?download=73

As far as Isostar this
    here
    (sorry the link was really long and messing up the formatting)
    is all I could find. 75% certainty isn't very high and the research was done and funded by isostar corp, which generally makes you question the validity. Gatorade research was done by UF WAY before it was finalized or marketed to the public, they set about to create the ultimate drink.

Also, from WebMD
    "The fact is, a sports drink may be your best choice if you're an intense athlete. A new study shows that athletes can stave off fatigue 37% longer if they drink sports drinks -- the kind with electrolytes and carbohydrates in them. They also run faster, have better motor skills, and are mentally sharper, says the study, which appears in the April issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise."

And as to how it's too sugary, that is intended. ;) Again from WebMD:
    "
    Flavorings in beverages 'encourage the exerciser or athlete to drink more and stay hydrated better,' she tells WebMD. 'Our research shows that both the taste and sodium content of Gatorade naturally make people drink more of it, so they get the hydration they need.'"
    http://www.webmd.com/content/article/18/1676_55034

There is a great discussion about this in the vanderbilt link. Essentially the taste of water quinches your thirst too fast causing athletes to underhydrate. The sugar in sports drinks causes you to become thirsty faster and thus properly hydrate.

For the drinking protein drinks during exercise here's a great link. Gatorade heard the rumors and tested a new drink. Aparently it had no effect at all on trials. Considering Gatorade is the hands-down winner in the drink category for athletes it's worth a read.
    http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...d-13bd3d89d1a1
    And here is were Gatorade refutes your study. (Notice the study used gatorade for their carbs and base sports drink ;) )
    http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/6...TOKEN=50326399

And to top it all off an article from the Journal of Medicine from Princeton about pre and post-exercise diet:
    http://facilities.princeton.edu/dini...%20exercise%22

Until they come out with some proper medical studies about drinking protein during exercise I would be very skeptical. If Gatorade has research that tends to support the long-held idea that it does not make a difference or is possible even detrimental I would go with that until someone proves otherwise.

Anyways, if you want any more linkage ask for it or hit up google. Sorry I didn't provide the links first. I generally try not to post unless I have something to back it up. In the case of protein during exercise the idea seems VERY new. Also, they were mixing carbs to protein at a 3:1 ratio with gatorade. Looking here on the back of the bottle I am drinking gatorade has 14g of carbs per 8oz and 35g in the entire bottle (2.5 cups). That would be 11g of protein, or about 4.4g per cup of gatorade. So if you want toss some powder in. At the very worst you're not hurting anything but the flavor.
    Last edited by Lazy8s; 9/01/2006 10:59am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theoretical advantages of a post-workout drink. Or any drink.

#1. Hydration is important, and if you're drinking something that means it's water...hopefully.

#2. Whatever else it is you're drinking has been broken down into bits and pieces which are...well, neccesarily drinkable. That means you have a huge surface area to volume ratio with whatever it is which has been liquified. That means your body will spend less time digesting and more time using.

Those are the principles. Give your body what it wants in a form which gets in there fastest. Kinda like how wolves and birds pre-digest food for the youngsters. Same principle. Gatorade doesn't have the monopoly on this process.

I'd go with something which has more to it than salt and sugar. I'm talking a gag-mixture of:

-Nutritional yeast (B vitamins up the ASS, and some protein)
    -Powdered Vitamin C (important component to just about everything)
    -Fruit/vegetable of your choice
    -Juice of your choice
    -Maybe some liquid glucosamine/chondroitin
    -Liquid mineral supp
    Whatever else suits you

Hold your nose and chug. Then while your nose is still held, keep chugging more water until the god-awful taste is outta your mouth!

Remember...hold your nose.

Whatever you do, may I be the first to suggest not wringing your hands over Brand X or Brand Y. Their Vitamin C, glutamine, this, that, and the other thing are not harvested at mysterious sources and assembled by specially trained craftsmen. You're not paying for their knowledge and labor, you're paying for their marketing.

However, if you do find the following ingredients magical and esoteric, just ignore me:

water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, red 40, blue 1
    Last edited by Nid; 9/01/2006 11:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not for nothing, but...there was a study done a while back when I trained for triathalons and it implied. Most "recovery drinks" were as good for you as a "flattened" soda. They were not putting the more common recovery drinks down, nor placing them on a pedastal. But, before you flame me for the aforementioned comment. Have you noticed that most of the Soda companies are making energy drinks? Personally, during the day and a bit after a hard workout I like a flat Mountain dew. I just wished they would come out with a sugar free, or if they do have such a formula, I would like to know where I could purchase it.

LG

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some broad strokes and well-camoflouged points you just made there.

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I would also like to add. I am awareof the De-hydrating facotrs of the caffeine, So I also drink about a quart of distilled water before bed and about a gallon a day aswell.

LG

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I repeat.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gatorade doesn't have a corner on the market as far as how to break down nutrients but they do have proprietary processes and of course the formula is protected by copywrights.

If you read those articles any drink is considered, in general, better than water. However, gatorade has the backing of years of study from many independant labs and universities. If you notice I did my best to quote from sites independant of gatorade as well as UF.

Sure you could just toss a bunch of junk togeather. You could also just suck on a jolly rancher and drink water but why not go with something that has some documentation to it? If you really want a quick burst of energy during your workout eat some peanutbutter M&Ms, just be prepared for when your insulin levels drop a little while later.

Warning, I just pulled out my soap box...

My background is to question first and believe later. Gatorade has proof. If I'm spending the extra I want to know it will work. It is, in general, obvious that more does not equal better and generics are NOT the same as brand names, otherwise they would be sued into the ground. When you said "Their Vitamin C, glutamine, this, that, and the other thing are not harvested at mysterious sources and assembled by specially trained craftsmen." That is actually not true at all. Alot of the vitamin C is created at (not magical) factories around the world created by chemists with a laundry list of credentials and one is not the same as the other always. Alot of this can be seen in pharmaceuticals. Certain drugs lower blood pressure or cure cataracts, the generic brand kills hundreds of people and turns into a class-action law suit. Now I'm not saying that's the case here, but it IS how the supplement community has gotten it's bad name in the past. With very little regulation by the FDA they can run free. Go down to your local GNC and read the backs of the bottles especially suppliments. Most of the ingredients say "at least" or "not less than" a certain ammount, but it doesn't exactly match what is advertised. This is because it's easier to sell 2lbs of protein but not garantee the quality of any of it. It's cheaper manufacturing and cheaper distribution and in the end, over the entire container you consume what is advertised, even if you get largly varrying ammounts per serving.

puts away soap box

Sorry, that was kind of my supplement soap box and didn't have alot to do with the discussion other than "research before you buy".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could also just suck on a jolly rancher and drink water but why not go with something that has some documentation to it?
    Like fresh quality food?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast