Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 6:29pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recovery drinks?

We've been training extremely hard at my BJJ school lately. Our black belt is back and is eager to get us all into shape after a looser, more relaxed summer. This means a tough 40 minute "warmup" full of running, jumping, pushups etc. We then go on to do non-stop, endless drills. This is, by far, the toughest training I've ever done. My gi is soaked, and I could feel my legs shaking when I walked up the stairs after I got back tonight.

Anyway, this of course leads to me being exhausted the day after training. I've noticed some guys drinking all kinds of shakes after training in order to recover faster.

My question is, what should I look for in these kinds of drinks? I'm sure there are a lot of bullshit brands out there that overcharge, so I'm looking to educate myself a bit before I buy anything.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chocolate milk

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chocolate milk would be better for a weightlifting type workout right?

Wouldn't he be better off sipping on a carbohydrate drink with some protein and electrolytes? Maltodextrin or glucose?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it in you?

Seriously, gatorade is one of the best drinks you can have. If you're allowed bring it to the gym with you. Nothing but gatorade though, powerade and ll that crap is just sugar water and can actually throw off your electrolytes. Alot of scientific research has been done on gatorade drinking DURING workouts and it is definately better than water. Don't replace water with it though. During the day it's the same if not worse. The sugars turn to acid and eat away at your teeth, the calories cause you to gain weight etc. But drinking it right before/during/after intense competition and training is scientificaly proven (by the University of Fla hence the name Gator Aid) to help athletes.

I used to weight lift with some marine sniper/scout friends in highschool at Gold's Gym and I was drinking all kinds of crap till they slapped some sense into me. I know it seems counter-intuitive but one of THE BEST things you can eat after working out (an hour at least not right after I'll explaint hat in a second) is peanutbutter. Go to the grocery and find the kind with the lowest salt/sugar content and eat it. It probably will be a cheap brand because it won't taste as good but it will be better for you. What your body is looking for is the protein and believe it or not the fat that's in the peanut butter.

Now, as with all good advice more is not better. Eating too much straight will turn you into a tub of lard. What people that train very hard forget is that when your body is really stressed working out it is natural to turn to fat stores to get more energy. Since most of us try to eat healthy we go for low fat, low cholesterol diets. This is good and bad. Especially under 21 cholesterol is still needed to help your brain form. (Yes, it forms up until 21, sometimes longer look it up)

Other things that might help you out are eating carbs the night before. As the guy above said the shaking and stuff is really more of lack of energy than need for protein. The peanut butter's fat will help with this alot. If you are a very low body fat percentage and this occurs often then you need to do a test. Get on a treadmill for 15-20min WITHOUT deoderant. Smell yourself or better yet have someone else smell you. If there is ANY hint of ammonia smell then you need to eat more and tone it down till you gain some body fat. The smell of ammonia is the smell of your body burning muscle for energy.

My drink of choise was 2-3 oreos, a scoop of whey protein, 2-3 tablespoons of peanutbutter (not chinky), a couple scoops of vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream), blend it all togeather. Again, don't be stupid and drink one every day. I had 1 or 2 per week. It added about 1200calories to my weekly diet. Not enough to get fat off of but enough to be sure that I was getting the fat and cholesterol that my body needed.

And I know I'm going to sound like your mom here but don't forget fruits and vegetbles. Alot of vitamins and minerals you need won't come from anything else (other than a multivitamin) so be sure to eat a serving at least a day. Just a side note on vitamins because I'm tired and don't want to get into it, there is really mixed opinions on them. Doctors used to suggest them to everyone, but between companies putting more crap into them to be "the best" and the techniques used to press the pill it's hard to prove they really do anything. Reme,ber, too much iron in your diet can kill you.

Most of the prepackaged drinks are total bullocks. Stuff like drinks with creatine in it are especially crap. Creatine is extremely volatile in water and doesn't last long. It breaks down and you're drinking nothing but flavored water. Also, the glucose drinks can help to an extent but there is SO much in there that it passes through before you can absorb it. Some guys swear by it, but the old body builders drank raw eggs so yeah...

Sounds to me like you just had a good workout. I sure don't envy the way you will feel tomorrow though. :)

EDIT: I just noticed you're from sweden. I don't have the time to check the laws over there regarding controlled substances but I do work for an international pharmeceutical company and let me tell you the FDA here inthe states keeps **** on lockdown. In germany it's a free for all as to what they can sell. You might seriously google anything out of the ordinary that you want to try before you find that it's a single pass steroid or something. Obviously protein and stuff is safe, but and body building supplement could have God knows what in it so do be careful. Don't want to be another Barry Bonds. "I swear it was topical asprin!"
    Last edited by Lazy8s; 8/31/2006 9:37pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a drink really, but I like munching on some watermellon after a hard workout.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gatorade is a good choice. Diluted orange juice with a bit of salt is also good.

Now, the thing is, depending on what you are taking or not taking in your diet, different drinks may be better than others.

You need to be hydrated. If you are not (.ie. you are a moron who doesn't drink enough water :tongue3:), you'd be better off drinking gatorade (lots of it) after your class and not take any protein shakes for an hour or so after your workout. You'll feel like bloated **** if you do.

If you remain hydrated, then your best bet is to drink a protein shake. Now, not just any protein shake, but a POST-WORKOUT shake. Look for one that contains maltodrexin (or some other easely digested sugar-like carbohydrate).

People drink any protein shakes after workouts, and... I guess that's better than nothing. However, some carbs are more easely digested than others. POST-WORKOUT shakes are more suitable for your body after a strenous workout.

My recommendation is to look for "muscle milk", myoplex ready-to-drink shakes, or the cheap "Liquid Nutritiun Plus", lactose-free shakes available at any CVS pharmacies. The best thing is to look for a shake with maltodextrin (usually from corn), with 300 to 400 calories, and 13g to 40+g of protein.

Hope it helps.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 11:03pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a period I was using recovery drinks of the ilk El Macho suggested. They were helpful, but after a while I could no longer afford to pay for protein drinks along with everything else.

Just don't expect a miracle drink or anything like that. Also, be sure to avoid certain popular products like Xyience Nox-whatever. There are better brands out there for much much less. You just have to do your research properly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 5:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, TKD, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you waiting until the end of your training session? Drink a carb and protein mixture during the training session. Sip it just as you would instead of water.

Biotest Surge is probably the best thing on the market, and trying to mimic it won't save you much money. If cash is tight chocolate milk is a good alternative. However, I prefer mixing vanilla protein powder and Gatorade. Evopro protein powder mixes the best in a shaker bottle with minimal head or undisolved chunks of powder.

Yes, drinking the thick mix is a bit rough at first and you may feel a bit of nausia during the first few training sessions, but you will adapt. Dr. John Berardi has a pretty good article floating around on the subject.

Other supplements that can help are fatty acids like fish oil or flax seed oil, creatine, and metalllic minerals like calcium and zinc. Creatine can also stave off the effects of sleep deprivation if your forced to get less than optimal sleep on some nights.

Other aids to recovery are maintaining proper hydration, getting enough sleep, and performing static stretches thrughout the day. All this should be balanced with a proper diet. If your training harder skip dessert and grab an extra slice of roast beef.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 7:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most medical doctors do not suggest drinking a protein shake turing training for the same reason you wouldn't be munching on a Philly Cheese Steak during a workout. When you are working out your body sends massive ammounts of blood to the muscles, brain, heart and other vital organs to compensate, move ATP etc. If you eat anything it requires you to send blood to the stomach to transport the nutrients that are being absorbed. Eating takes a suprising ammount of blood to effectively digest anything.

The reason he would feel nausea the first few times is his body would be screaming "WTF are you eating for while you're training!?" He would eventually get used to it but he would be robbing his muscles of vital oxygen and energy transportation from all of the blood he rerouted. This is why people say to wait 1hr after exercise before you have a shake. Not only are your insulin levels at their peak but the "pump" is gone and you now have the extra blood to digest. Google this, I know nothing of Dr. Berardi but I know there are hundreds of doctors that would love to beat him over the head for suggesting that.

Also, Myoplex is great. That's what I used to use. As TDDM said though, you;'ll be spending a LOT of money for a very little benefit. Unless perhaps you're post-40 in which case you'll possible see a little more benefit because of a slightly deteriorated digestive system, but still it probably won't be worth the money. Hence why I used peanutbutter and ice cream. Protein + small-chain sugars + fat = yum. It tastes better and doesn't cost nearly as much.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 7:21am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    For a period I was using recovery drinks of the ilk El Macho suggested. They were helpful, but after a while I could no longer afford to pay for protein drinks along with everything else.

Just don't expect a miracle drink or anything like that. Also, be sure to avoid certain popular products like Xyience Nox-whatever. There are better brands out there for much much less. You just have to do your research properly.
    Oh man, you just hit the nail right on the head. Price is the biggest problem with supplements. It's good stuff, but that **** ain't cheap at all :(

The cheapest shake I've found that works well (at least for me) for a post-workout drink is 'Liquid Nutrition Plus' at CVS pharmacies (informational internet link thingie here

I buy the 6-pack of them for 7-something, so each drink comes off around $1.25 each. Now, notice in the CVS website that there is 'Liquid Nutrition Plus' (which is what you want) and 'Liquid Nutrition' (which is for pussies IMO.)

350 calories, 13g (26%) of protein, 11g (17%) of fat, <2% of cholesterol, 440mg (13%) of potassium (as much as a banana, you need the potassium man), 50g of carbs... and most importantly, it has maltodextrin.

It took me forever to find this brand, because, as you said, shakes are not cheap at all. I combine this brand with the myoplex drinks (which are more than twice the price.)

That's what I do to control the expenses regarding this ****. The CVS shakes may not be the top of the line, but are still good, and provide an economical alternative :new_smile
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast