Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 10:31am

Style: Muay Thai/KF/Boxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A little offering from my Kung-fu e-mail group

There is a guy on my e-mail Kung-fu group who calls himself Sensei J. Richard Kirkham B.Sc (The initials at the end of his name are quite appropriate as you will see). Anyway, everytime he posts, it's always a one line repsonse to something, and when he posts something original he's always hawking a book or video or some such. In anycase, recently he posted THIS little gem, that made me want to unleash the dogs of bullshido on it. I particularly like how he claims this is for "real martial artists" on the webpage.

http://kirkhamsebooks.com/MartialArt...VideoClip.html

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think practicing a dead drill over and over is going to make you able to take a strike better in a real fight.. BTW his off-balance counterattack is just special.

Ja

Rei

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 11:48pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The drill it's self is not a bad drill. It can desensitize one to being hit. It can teach you not to be afraid of getting hit. it can even teach you how to move internaly as to not really get hurt.

The down side to the drill is that it is being done as you said, "Dead". This is ok for begginers, but you can learn the same thing getting hit while boxing or sparring. You also learn to move and hit back.

A lot of arts put too much emphisis on "taking a hit" Taking it is fine...but you don't win fights getting hit. Even worse...they spend all thier time taking "hits" from other people that spend all thier time taking "hits". In short, they are not realy getting hit that hard.

In the clip, the guy hitting is pulling his shots. those are not even close to "full" power...and if they are, they are going to get beat up anyway.
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    In the clip, the guy hitting is pulling his shots. those are not even close to "full" power...and if they are, they are going to get beat up anyway.
    Yeah, he needs to learn where the solar plexus is too.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love fat martial artists with beer guts. You can be large and be good but not beer belly fat.

*looks down at gut and sighs*

Also you cannot condition the Solar plexis to take a good hit.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I love fat martial artists with beer guts. You can be large and be good but not beer belly fat.

Yup, yup.

Trailer Park Boys ftw, btw.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 1:28am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe

Hey! I resemble that remark!
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 5:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is an idiot.

Next. . . .

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 10:30am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good god man. About 15-20 seconds into it, when he is bracing to take the 1st shot straight to the gut, he flexes his gut, and by god, it undergoes a transformation. I swear the gut moves straight up and down, while his torso is completely still.

I'm nauseaous. I'm going to go do some crunches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:42pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think his huge beer gut did most of the protecting, that guys punches were totally skanktastic. he says counter attack like its a movement not a concept. he's like "Yea we counter attack" then does this barrage of bullshit. What if the other guy says "counter attack!" and does the same lame crap back to you. the guy was like Neo from the matrix because his Gong Foo was in bullet time.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conditioning the solar plexus? Bah!!! You can't condition a bunch of nerves clustered together. How fucking ridiculous. What he should be referring to is to the conditioning of the diaphragm. When people get hit in the abdominal area, or just below the sternum, it can get the diaphragm to spasm, making breathing difficult.

Having a strong, conditioned diaphragm can make it more resilient to blows, but it will never make it 100% proof against involuntary spasms.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast