Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:38pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Techniques should be sloppy and useless. Isn't that the point of martial arts?

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Techniques should be sloppy and useless. Isn't that the point of martial arts?
    Damn Straight. *Executes limp and floppy waist-high front kick* Hi-YAAAAAAH!

Posted On:
    10/02/2006 6:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to have to disagree with anyone who says using 3lb dumbbells for shadow boxing will increase punch speed or power. It may increase your ability to throw more punches it a certain amount of time with less fatigue, but definitely not speed or power. There are a few exercises I swear by for increasing punching and kick speed, please I want someone here to try them and tell me they don't work. I had a buddy of mine who has been involved in MMA for close to 15 or 20 years tell me to go to Athletes.com and check out their MMA workouts. There are so many exercises for increasing speed and power, but they have to be done in the correct rep range to have the most effect.
    1. ultimate burpees- Its a squat thrust done with a push up. but you hold on to either kettlebells, a barbell, or dumbbells. Do between 6-10 reps for 3-4 sets. You might have to play with the weight a little to see what is a good weight for you.2. Clean and Press with a twist. Start with a barbell on the ground clean it to your chest. Go into a squat and when you come up press the bar using your shoulders and your legs. 6-10 reps 3-4 sets
    3. Push press- Its just doing shoulder press but standing and you bend at the knees a little bit to incorporate your legs into the movement. 6-10 reps 3-4 sets
    4. smith machine throw ups- Set up a flatbench inside a smith machine. Lock the pins (powerrack) so that the bar is about an inch or so above your chest. Now throw the bar up as hard as you can, the weight should be light enough so the bar actually leaves your palms a little bit. At the beginning of every rep start with the bar stationary or static on the pins. This way you have to generate more force to get the weight moving instead of using momentum and the contraction of your chest. 6-10 reps 3-4 sets
    5. Push up rows- get set in the push up position but with dumbbells in your hands. Push yourself up off the ground and while moving up do a d-bell row with the opposite hand you are using to push up. Alternate each arm completing 6-10 reps on each side for 3 sets. I have a couple more but this post is too long already!!!

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:05am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muayfry
    Actually its an urban legend or myth that lifting heavy makes you slower. Go to athletes.com and look up their MMA workouts that are posted. Actually you can look up almost any article from someone who knows what they are talking about and they all say lifting heavy is great for MMA. You have to do a combination of both. You need to lift heavy for speed strength and do for alot of reps for strength endurance. You have to incorporate both in to your workout. They have some great exercises for increasing kick/punching speed and power. I have been doing these exercises for a few months and the results have been crazy.
    Hi
    I went to www.atheletes.com but it seems to be a squatter site, did I get the right URL? Thanks.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 8:08am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry ignore that post, wrong spelling...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 11:40pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try the speedbag, relaxing your arms and shoulders and tensing them only at the moment of impact. Also remember that timing is as important as speed.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910